Author Topic: Wild Hogs  (Read 6067 times)

Offline jrfrmn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wild Hogs
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »
Anybody in Ohio need a partner to help shoot some of those wild hogs?
 I would love to come and help out. Now is the weather for it. January sounds great.
                                                                                            Thanks

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Wild Hogs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
jr

Been kicking around the idea and have taked to a few farmers here in NC ohio about some that they have and need shooting .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »
Let me know when find out anything.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 08:52:50 AM »
Let me know too. Been asking friends and farmers that I know thoughout the state. something should turn up hopefully ;D
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:02:44 PM »
jr

Been kicking around the idea and have taked to a few farmers here in NC ohio about some that they have and need shooting .

stimpy
   It's been a year now. I haven't heard from you.
               I thought that maybe your wife gave you some new rules.
               NO MORE HUNTING!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:08:03 AM »
jr

Nothing that easy to get around  ;D every single farmer that i talked to said no hunting them yet , they want to get the numbers up before anyone starts shooting them , for the life of me do not understand that , these boys don't seem to understand the damage that hogs will do .  :o and the way they breed 2 hogs = 10 and 10 = 30 real fast .

I grew up on a hog farm and have seen first hand the damage that they will do . just have to wait till they get out of hand then they will be calling ME for help .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
stimpy I don't understand that either! Unless those farmers think they will turn it into a cash pay for hunting deal, they will be sorry when those hogs get out of control.

anyone know anything about hog hunting down in the Southeast side of the State? I hear about hogs in Zaleski State Forest but don't have any connections down there. Would love to go though.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »
for the life of me do not understand that , these boys don't seem to understand the damage that hogs will do .  :o and the way they breed 2 hogs = 10 and 10 = 30 real fast .

stimpy
Stimpy
That  for sure 30-40 hogs can root up 20 acres in a night or two Ive seen it done when I lived in florida when they start begging for help  give me a holler I'm about 80 miles from lima. I've heard that a wild hog was killed during gun season in mercer county maybe we could put together "GBO's Ohio hog control team"  ;D ;D lol
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »
Well,

My back ain't up to lifting them, heck they still have me on a 25 pound limit. But, my .41 mag don't weigh that much  ;D Or maybe a nice 45/70 round with a load of black powder and about a 500gr bullet!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:43 PM »
Greg

Thats what they make frontend loaders for .  :D

I'm going to make some more calls this spring after the farmers have had a chance to see what kind of damage has been done over the fall and winter , they may have a change of heart .  ;)

If i can work something out i'll let you guys know , could be fun .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
Well,

My back ain't up to lifting them, heck they still have me on a 25 pound limit. But, my .41 mag don't weigh that much  ;D Or maybe a nice 45/70 round with a load of black powder and about a 500gr bullet!

Greg
I know about that back stuff  I've been making regular visit to the chiropractor since sept  I've got some 170 gr cast bullets I would like to try on hogs greg my go to 45/70 load is a 300 gr seirra  push with a heathy dose of imr3031  heck I would mind trying a rb out oh my zouave
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
Stimpy,

Let us know what they say, it would be fun to get us all together.

Roy, I have some 265gr lead cast over a healthy dose of Unique that shoots real well for me in the .41. The lightest thing I have shot out of the 45/70 was some 400gr paper patched rounds over about 40gr of H4895. Normally I use about 60gr of FFg powder in there. As for the back, I blew it out in August, I finally went back to work full time the week of Christmas, they are still playing with it, maybe they will fix it soon.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Greg
 my 45/70   was the first handi rifle I bought . when I bought it I needed a rifle I had just moved back from florida to W.V. and  living out in the sticks we had chickens ducks geese goats pigs I needed a rifle to protect stock from feral dogs and maybe even a black bear plus if times got tight to feed the family I wanted a ruger#1 so bad, but just could not afford it ,the load I shoot was worked up back then It works very well so I never did anything else I do have a .457 round ball load .
Never had to shoot a bear but it did make me feel more secure when a big bear stood up on the other side of the berry patch I was picking berries in. It has sent several poultry theiving dogs to meet their maker  I have one peice of brass that has killed 4 deer  It fed the family  when there was more bill than money  It has not been shot very much since I moved to ohio . funny thing  I now may have to save a little but can afford a Ruger But have decided all though it may be prettier  A ruger isn't a better rifle
Roy

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »
I just looked at the map they have on the ODNR site and it looks like North Vinton county has the highest population.

I agree with you guys the farmers have no idea what their in for. To let them multiply is the biggest mistake they could ever do. I have family down in AL and they have so many down there that the hogs are actually eating the Fawns as they are being born. I know it sounds absurd but it's true. Hogs are the bottom feeders of the mammal world and they don't care if it's meat or veggies they will eat it.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
Just came back from Marietta,we have 40+ acres that butt up to Wayne National Forest.Guys,these freaking pigs are for real,no more food plot left,the swamp is now a stinking crap pool and these fat xxxxxxx are fast.The farmers are begging for hunters that can hit them down there.Seema alot of the people down there dont care to wait on the oinkers long enough.If anybody is going down that way in the coming weeks,drop me a email and we can hook up at camp and role a few of these suckers.
                                                                                                      Dave
                                                                                        Dvanderhoof001@neo.rr.com

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 05:07:36 AM »
Dave

Why are all the fun places on the other end of the state for me  ;D , I chased them a bit down in Ok and your right , those suckers are fast , one min. you see them and the next their gone .  :o

By the way , Welcome to GBO , lots of Ohio guys around so maybe some of the SE Ohio boys will take you up on the offer .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline gimpster

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 05:31:49 AM »
Stimpy,
Thanks for the welcome.Lotsa crops are getting mauled by these things.Talked to local game warden and he has a list of farmers down there begging for pig hunters!!!.You watch,a local bounty will be put out.
                                                                        Dave

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 06:56:18 AM »
Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Yea them things are real fast, too bad I am over in the Dayton area... Hmm.... Hey maybe we could all get together for a pig hunt one long weekend.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline gimpster

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
Sounds good to me.Im going to get a hold of a couple farmers that are close to our property and the adjoining Wayne national forest and see what they say about hunting the crap out of all of it.
                                                                                Dave

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 12:27:48 AM »
Hogs are the bottom feeders of the mammal world and they don't care if it's meat or veggies they will eat it.

I had the privledge of living in a mud house in Mexico for 10 days.  There was no latrine except the pig corral.  Number 2 was done with your back to the wall so you could keep the pigs away until you were done.

And people eat those things.  What a way to turn feces into food.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 01:26:33 AM »
Hey Dave,

Myself and two hunting buddies would take you up on that offer! We are in Steubenville, so Marietta is very familiar to us. I have been asking around for some local hog hunting in Belmont co. but so far a few sightings of pigs and nobody is giving out specific info as to where.

welcome to the forum.
Joe

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
Jal5

If I am going to hunt these hogs would a 12 gauge USH, and can put 1 inch groups at 100 yards, would this work.  Should I try something else.

Hope this helps

buckshooter 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
the 12 ga. is plenty of firepower and good accuracy as you know with that firearm. But I am wondering if you needed a quick 2nd shot how that would work? I may practice with my single shot and see how fast and accurate I can make that 2nd one.  If not, I may just use my Mossberg 500 pump!

Joe

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
Joe

A good way to judge your shot time is to have someone stand behind you , on the first shot have them run away from you ( not down range  ;D ) and then have them stop on the 2nd shot .

Turn around and look at how much ground they have covered , you would be surprised , and a mad or wounded hog can cover 2 to 3 times that in the same amount of time .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
good idea thanks Rich. Yeah I am a little  leery about using the single shot for hogs, but some guys here do it and they carry a pistol for backup...is that legal here in Ohio?

Joe

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
Joe

From what I have read on the ODNR site and from talking to a few diffrent game wardens , yes the handgun is legal as back-up , as long as your not bow hunting deer and its not carried concealed .

Also there are not the regs that apply to that handgun , as there are for using one to hunt deer in gun season . basicly you can carry any haqndgun you want , 45 auto , 9mm , 357 , 22lr , you name it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline pct

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME INFO ..Zaleski State Forest.
  and maybe make a trip down  before DEER  starts this year ..08
got with ODNR  for a list of Co-Ops in the  Vinton county " land owners" State says about 1000 or more
 WILD HOGS in area.
  any info would be appreciated greatly.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
thanks Rich for the info, I will definitely bring a backup firearm with me even if its only my 22lr!

Why don't you come down and join us?

Joe

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:20 AM »
Any news on these hogs, I would love to put one in my freezer

Hope this helps

buckshooter 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 06:20:10 AM »
no news from this guy buckshooter.

I have to go out of town next week and will pass throught Marietta on the way. i plan to stop at a hunting supply store there and see if I can find anything out.

Joe