Author Topic: Wild Hogs  (Read 6066 times)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: Wild Hogs
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
   I work in Marietta and talk to a bunch of farmers and hunters every week.. I have not heard one person mention feral hogs.  Now coyotes, Bobcats, cougars , and bears yes..  Even saw a Picture of the cougar and know the fellow quite well that took it. It was near his barn, Lurking around his sheep. Funny the ODNR knows nothing about them . He is surrounded by Wayne national forest. I've personally have seen the black bears.  Ohio's getting wild again. Personally I don't think we need the bear or cougars.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
You guys are all talking about using hanguns on hogs, well I was looking in the Ohio Regulations book and says, "A person possessing a valid Ohio issued Concealed Carry license may carry their concealed weapon but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal."  Now may be I am wrong, but I am looking at it in the book.  So I thought I would tell you just in case you thought on taking your handgun out.

Hope this helps

buckshooter     
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »
You guys are all talking about using hanguns on hogs, well I was looking in the Ohio Regulations book and says, "A person possessing a valid Ohio issued Concealed Carry license may carry their concealed weapon but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal."  Now may be I am wrong, but I am looking at it in the book.  So I thought I would tell you just in case you thought on taking your handgun out.

Hope this helps

buckshooter     

They are saying that they want to use their handguns as their Primary weapon. In the state of OH we are allowed to hunt with handguns of 357 mag or bigger w/ at least a 5 inch barrel I believe. They are not saying to go out hunting hogs with their 45-70 then at the last minute pull their little 38 or 9mm outta their back pocket and shoot the hog with it.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
The way it was explained to me ( by 2 diffrent Game Wardens ) was that you could carry your CCW weapon while hunting with the proper permit but you could NOT use it as a hunting weapon .

As for a hunting Handgun , the Cal. & Length Regs only apply to using one for Deer hunting , all others can be used to hunt any game legal in Ohio . I have used 22 and 32 cal pistols to hunt tree rats for years as well as for Fox and Coons too .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gimpster

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »
Joe,
Give me a buzz or email me.Im going down again with dad on november 9.The damage is already done down there and from what I heard from a couple farmers in just down the lane from us,there is no stopping these oinkers.RUMORS shall we say is that if you dont get them all,you get slaughtered again next year.I will try to post picks of the damage they did to surrounding landowners down there when I get back,its amazing the damage they do.
                                                     Dave--         Dvanderhoof001@neo.rr.com

Offline jrfrmn

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 05:00:17 PM »
no news from this guy buckshooter.

I have to go out of town next week and will pass throught Marietta on the way. i plan to stop at a hunting supply store there and see if I can find anything out.

Joe
        What did you find out?

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »
the local hunting supply store went out of business so didn't get any info from anyone down there.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline gimpster

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Gents,
No more damage than previous trip,lotsa sh** though.Going down again on November 17.I left my card with 4 local farmers.There saying no hunting them yet.I'm getting the impression that there waiting for crop damage insurance claims.
                                                                                                        Dave-Gimpster

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 11:31:58 AM »
Dave,

see PM

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Badge54

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
Are there any reports of the Hogs on State Property.  I don't have much time to get out and talk to all the farmers...  I am in central Ohio so any direction that I go would be fine.  Just need to kill some meat as I got skunked for Deer in two states this year..

Badge54

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 05:42:40 AM »
Hey guys, I live in Jefferson county.  A few weeks back I heard coyotes howling and going crazy.  I was deer hunting in muzzloader, and while I was hunting found a skeleton of a wild pig.  I brought the head to the house to see what my Dad and brother would say, they agreed it was a wild pig.  The skeleton is not recent.  I would love to put one in my freezer. 

Hope this helps

buckshooter 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »
I am a little late posting on this subject.  I live in Marietta and hunt exclusively in Wayne National Forest.  I have not seen any sign of hogs in the areas that I hunt.  I hunted wild hogs in the southern part of WV as a resident some years ago.  If the hogs were there, I would know it.   My father retired last fall and spent numerous hours scouring the woods...We don't have hogs here....

Buckeyehunter   

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
I talked with two wildlife officers last weekend at an outdoors show. The subject of Ohio hogs came up and they both said there are some but not nearly as many as people think, and the groups of them are very localized.  They did mention Marietta and the Wayne Natl Forest, a very big area and maybe they could be in one small section?  They both believed they were from game ranches and escaped due to poor fencing.

Joe

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
The Section Of Wayne national Forest They were Refering to Was in Monroe CO. Just North Of Marietta and South Of Greysville . A Farmer Had a Few Head Get Loose a Few Years Back . I guess The Local Guys pretty well Took Care Of them This Fall and early Winter. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
There is talk of some wild hogs being on private property east of Marietta in a small town called Barlow.   
I am told that there used to be a preserve there that was shut down due to infection control issues.   There is a large tract of Wayne National near Greysaville called "Lamping Homestead".  I have coworkers that live and hunt there.   As you say any hogs that were killed must of been ferals from local farms. 

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
I live close to Zaleski state forest and have seen hog sign (hog wallows), but no hogs. I'm hoping to shoot one with my recurve. I'm going to try baiting if its allowed on state forest property. I'll try to keep everyone posted.
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs

Offline Ohio TC Hunter

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »
I hear the ODNR would like them all shot.  I hear southern Ohio is having some hog problem.  A couple years ago I talked to a 17 year old kid in Pauling who shot a 250 pound sow in southern Ohio while deer hunting she came charging at him he shot her 3 times with a 12 gauge she dropped.  I know they are around all over and spread out real fast.