Author Topic: Safe Queens..or..Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Safe Queens..or..Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?
« on: December 23, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »
Just got into a thread with JHT about baby browning pistols that we have and in J's words, are "Safe Queens".  Y'know...what folks have hang'n around in their gun safes that will probably NEVER get fired!!!  I'll start.I have a 1936 vintage luger amde by mauser all matching #s inc. the magazine.  A ton of assorted walthers, a mint baby browning and a few high-powers.

What in your collection?????

If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Safe Queens..or..Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
I have a model 02 Winchester 22 rifle. Don't know what it's worth, but had it a long time and I don't think I've ever seen one at any of the gun shows or shops.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 01:13:54 PM »
Nothing!!  I don't have a gun in the house that I don't shoot.  Not a one.  I can't even get my mind arround owning a gun and not shooting it.  Even the few collectables I own are shot.

"Guns we buy and NEVER FIRE?"      WHY???????????

Now it would be direrent if I owned an origional Navy Colt that was unfired!!!!!....................NOT!!!!!! I'ed still have to shoot it!!!!

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
I have fired every gun I own except for a mis 1800's belgian pin fire revolver and a 1876 veterli vitale rifle and that is only because the ammo is obsolete. I do have a couple of older guns I have shot a few times and put away, an original matching 1917  p-08, an all matching nazi era p-38 and a mauser broomhandle bring back with unit stamp and hand carved dragon in the stock/holster. If I run into anything special that gets my eye, I will at least fire it a couple of times to try it out. Most of my guns however are shooters.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
I have an unfired Browning model 42 grade V that is unfired. I plan on taking it out of the box the first time my daughter goes rabbit hunting with me.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:10:29 PM »
None of mine...All are used...I would like to find a nice JP Beck that I could have, promise I won't shoot it!!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 12:40:55 AM »
If its not going to be shot is sold within days. Hard enough to find enough room for the ones i shoot. Dont need any decorations.
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 01:38:28 AM »
I shoot all of mine. I bought a Colt single action Army about a year ago and it was in mint condition and never fired. I paid $1800 for it and I looked at it for about 4 months, I had a box of 45 L/C's in my ammo storage area and was going to take it to the range. I thought about it for about day and ended taking the gun to the gun shop and selling it to someone that could hold on to the gun without shooting it.

So I have decided I am not a collector, I am a shooter.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 2 dogs

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 05:55:57 AM »
Safe queens are for collectors. Im with Lloyd, Im a shooter.

Offline Banger

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 06:22:48 AM »
I have a lemmon squeezer. 32 short or such. No Firey. No ammo, in a now dusty box.  I have no idea why we have it. Also Dad's long guns (2). Wife's Dad's rifle, and a couple or four others.

Come to think of it we don't shoot much any more. Not like a few years back. If we do it's usually our pocket rockets. ;D

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 04:09:26 PM »
I do not buy them unless I am going to hunt with them, target shoot with them or make money on them.  No safe queens here, they either get used or sold for a profit.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 04:09:52 AM »
I do not buy them unless I am going to hunt with them, target shoot with them or make money on them.  No safe queens here, they either get used or sold for a profit.

I never sell guns for a profit since I don't have an FFL and to do so would constitute dealing without a license. Almost felt the tip of that sword. Safe queens get held but not fired.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 04:53:08 AM »
I dont sell for a profit either not because of the law but nobody seems to be as dumb as me when paying for a gun.
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 06:25:01 AM »
I buy and sell guns all the time, that is the only way I try out so many different guns. I buy new guns and take them back to the gun shop if I don't like them. I sell them to friends if they want them. I don't need a FFL license to make a privet sale. Then again I never have made a profit on a used gun.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 07:22:18 AM »
All of those guns have been fired…you only need to look for the proof mark on the side of the barrel to see that. ;D ;D ;D ;)

I have only had one come my way. It was a Stevens Model 15-A that belonged to my late father in law. He received it just before college and never got around to firing it. It only took me a week to try out this brand new 36yr old gun. Fine sights on this rimfire but a ton of creep in the trigger. I do belive that these guns sold for $15.00 at time of purchase
(around 1951)

Brother in law did much better. He received a 1969 Ruger single six new in box wrapped in the brown oil paper with the LR & WMR cylinders in the cloth pouches. I belive that the box had the black marker price on the end & was under Seventy dollars.
This gun remains unfired “cept for that proof mark” ;D

Yes, I would have not only fired that one but also used it regular.

Offline slave

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 08:04:23 AM »
The only way I could stop myself would be forget the combo or have one in such poor condition the act of fireing would could cause death or injury.
keep your powder dry !!!

Offline jhm

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »
Speaking of selling guns for a profit, I know a fellow who was buying up several guns and taking them to gunshows and reselling, trading etc. and I am sure it was always for a profit or trading UP, never the less when you get 2 government agencys together with their noses up your A$$ it will make you squirm a little, BTW the 2 agencys were the ATF along with the IRS, come to think about it I havent seen him at many gunshows lately either.   JIM

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
 I've bought at least one each of the Acusport Rugers and tucked them away and have recently picked up a couple older Hk models (HK4 and a P9s) which are likely to be safe queens also.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
I do have a couple of unfired Colt Delta Elites in the back of my safe that have never been fired along with some Ruger Mk2 pistols.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »
I just knew I wasn't the only one to have fondle-ables!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 01:05:35 AM »

I never sell guns for a profit since I don't have an FFL and to do so would constitute dealing without a license. Almost felt the tip of that sword. Safe queens get held but not fired.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who feel you must sell for a loss, it helps allow me to try out more guns.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 01:16:40 AM »
Doug,

I was "beginning to feel guilty" about not supporting you on this post, especially since you gave me some credit on your opening up of this thread.  Yes, I will gladly admit that I have more than a few "safe queens" and in fact I always keep my eyes open for more of them.  It's true that safe space is at a premium, but heck we all have to be willing to make some sacrifices along the way.

By the way, I do not find it difficult to keep "safe queens."  The key is to keep a healthy number of "shooters" to "safe queens" on hand to satisfy both desires.  Doug, what say you?

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 03:53:35 AM »
Hi J,

Turned into a pretty popular post!!!  Yep....I think my ratio of qeens to shooters is about 2:1 in favor of the shooters.  When I look at my stash of 9's, two are queens and three get shot and/carried.  Of my 44's, one's a queen and the other two are shot, same with my 45's though I will say my colts get shot alot more than my SW745 ipsic. 

Hate to sat it but...as I look at all the new stuff that comes out I don't really find myself desiring any of it, so.....if I find, say, a minty old colt detective special or pocket model or SAA or a walther TPH or model 8, or a nice broomhandle or ..... well I think you have the picture....BAMMMM...another queen.

Thanks for the idea and I give you the credit for coining the term "Safe Queens"!

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 09:30:41 AM »
Hi Doug,

Good to hear from you again!  While I have to thank you for your generousity with crediting me with coining the term "safe queen" I cannot claim to have been the author.  Keep shooting as well as collecting those special put aways.

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
Dr. Doug,

Perhaps you want to tell us something about the "tusker" that shares your greeting picture.

Jay

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
Hi Jay,

Wish I could say that I shot it after some ardous hunt in some primordial wilderness.....but...my best trophies are usually my easiest.  I was contacted about a red stag that a preserve owner had and wanted shot for various reasons.  I negotiated that price and drove 8 hours to northern NY to Old Stone Fence outfitters.  He had this boar literally chasing everyone around the property, other hogs, various deer and humans, esp. his amish assistant.  So...what's a fell'r with a 45/70 to do but save the world and shoot one heck of a trophy hog!!!  Actually...he chased us two or three times over the course of the morning and when I finally agreed to shoot him he layed up in a brushy area.  We stalked in and Daniel (the amish kid) whispered, "There he be!"  Having had to retreat from my red deer kill that morning because of this critter, I popped him in the brush pile.  No sense getting hurt.  That's the story.  Please have a look at the pics of the hunt on my FOTKI site.  The link is below.

Regards!!!!!

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »
While I am not a collector by any stretch there are a few that I tend to not shoot anymore as they have become collectable and others I have suit the same purpose. A couple of mint Ruger Old Model 45's, a mint Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk, a few Ruger Flattops and a Texas Longhorn Arms #5 come to mind. The latter has been on many a hunt with me but now just gets fiddled with around the fire. It was my first single action purchased face to face with Bill Grover at his house and factory in 1993. I cherish the gun and the memories of the purchase.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 03:54:59 AM »
Hey Box......using the word "mint" and gun in the same sentance kinda makes you a collector...like it or not!  You have a fabulous non-collection!!!!

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »
Agreed I'm a shooter too! I couldn't own a gun I couldn't shoot! Besides I don't know why anyone would own something they can't shoot except something you can't get ammo for! ???
One shot , One Kill

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »
I hate to tell some of you guys, but when you find that nice Flattop Ruger or WW1 1911, someone has already shot them!  Why not enjoy them yourself?  Just don't abuse them.  I thought for a long time about my engraved Colt Gov't.  It was one of 500 and I bought it new.  But fun won out and she has over 600 rounds through it now.  Even took her for a walk in the woods last month!  Yup, I shoot 'em!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!