Author Topic: Anyone use Peep sights??  (Read 785 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Anyone use Peep sights??
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
Just wondering if anyone uses Peep sights on their Tracker.  I know they work well on the BC...Just wondering how well they would work on a shorter, 24" Tracker barrel.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anyone use Peep sights??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 06:17:56 AM »
I had them put on a 12ga Tracker II I had. A gunsmith silver soldered on a fabricated base at the rear of the chamber, drilled and tapped it to accept a Williams Guide Peep, soldered on a new front sight base, and reblued. Cost me $90 back in 1994. It worked great.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 08:56:40 AM »
Thanks usherj.  Sounds like the way to go is to solder on the base then you can use it for sights or a scope.  Thanks again, and MERRY CHRISTMAS
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 01:03:26 PM »
Several people on this board recommended using J-B Weld to attach rear sights to shotgun barrels that are too thin to drill and tap. I made a good, accurate 24" slug barrel for my 870 by bobbing an old 28" plain barrel, soldering a Williams Shorty ramp at the front end, and J-B Welding a Williams Guide Open sight base to the rear. Sure enough, it has stayed put through 50 or so rounds at the range. I worry a bit about temperature changes causing it to let go in the long run, but so far, it's as tight as if it was attached with screws.

I have often thought about using J-B Weld to attach a Williams Guide aperture sight to a 28" NEF shotgun barrel, and soldering a Shorty ramp on the front. The Pardner with a 28 barrel is shorter than my 870 with a 24". It would make a very handy smoothbore slugger. I've tried Remington 1-ounce Sluggers in my Pardner, and they do kick a bit . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 01:38:29 PM »
Have you thought of a receiver mounted peep(drill and tap two holes)? I'm having one (Lyman 53) put on a Mdl. 088 that has been converted to slug shooting. Hunman55

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »
hunman55:
Does it look anything like this? I mounted up an old Savage like that.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:28 AM »
 :)Yes, Mt30-30, That's it. I remember it from a previous thread-nice old gun-and within it's range, will kill anything that walks. My peep is an old Lyman 53 and it's still at my gunsmith friend's shop being mounted. So many projects-so little time! Hope you are having a good Christmas and New Years. Hunman55

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 05:16:55 AM »
.... So many projects-so little time! Hope you are having a good Christmas and New Years. Hunman55

I know what you mean. I'm just finished an AR-15 project and I'm researching another to start. Have a great and safe new year.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007