Author Topic: MONARCH vs. FFII?  (Read 764 times)

Offline WVHILLBILLY

• Trade Count: (0)
MONARCH vs. FFII?
« on: December 25, 2006, 03:48:27 AM »
I am looking for a scope for either my 7mm RM or 300 Weatherby.  I want a scope that is good in low light situations and has the Ballistic type reticles. 

I have been considering a Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 Mil-dot and the Burris FFII 3.5-10x50 with Ballistic plex.

I am looking for anyones opinions and experiences on these scopes.  Which would you choose?

Thanks,

WVHILLBILLY

Offline reyn 61

Re: MONARCH vs. FFII?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 04:31:10 AM »
In lowlight the Monarch will be a little better. The FFII is Burris's lowerend but dont take that for being no good. I have a Burris FFII and really like it. The Monarch will be more expensive.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 06:26:09 AM »
No question in my mind.....Nikon Monarch....

I'd also stay away from 50mm objectives.......they don't gain much in light gathered, and usually require a very high mount which raises the eye piece high above the comb of the stock.......so, the guns with such a high mount point usually don't fit me well......resulting in higher felt recoil.......JMO
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 03:04:08 PM »
I own several of the FII's, and they are very good scopes.  But even I will admit they don't quite compare optically with the Monarch (which is at least $100 more in price).
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline WVHILLBILLY

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:42:36 AM »
I also have a few questions about the Burris Signature Selects.

1. If I get the 3-12x44, is there any effect on the optical quality at longer ranges on 12 power with no adjustable objective?

2. If I get the 4-16x44, how bright is it on 16 power in low light situations?

3. On the 4-16x44, if I set it on 10 power, does anyone know what the hash mark corrections would be?

4. Can someone describe or post a picture of the Hunter Knobs?

Thanks,
WVHILLBILLY

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
Today I had the opportunity to compare a FFII and a Monarch together at the range.  The FFII, a 3x9, was on my son's 7mm-08 and the Monarch was a straight 4x that I had recently mounted on a .22 Hornet.  Conditions were light snow and about +5....no sun, just flat light.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the FFII, but the Monarch was noticeably brighter.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 07:05:45 AM »
My 6X42 Monarch is noticeable brighter than my Leupold VXII 3X9 at 6X. Probably due to the extra glass needed in a variable vs a single power.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member