Author Topic: Hope this helps.  (Read 348 times)

Offline Dennis17

• Trade Count: (0)
Hope this helps.
« on: December 27, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »
     First of all, I'm no guru on optics but I have been hunting/shooting over the past 30 years and over the past couple of months I've been obtaining all the info I could about scopes. I was in the market to replace four of my scopes, for different reasons and then I needed to purchase an additional two scopes for two new rifles. That's six in all. I'm just doing this, and maybe wasting my time and yours, to hopefully help answer some questions the potential scope buyer might have. Of course this will be long and simply my own opinion and may or may not even reflect the true quality of the following scopes because I may have simply gotten a lemon, etc. These scopes are all under the $300.00 mark and that is my own personal preference because I'm not rich, I don't hunt extremely dangerous game and I don't shoot at Camp Perry, etc. Get my drift. I hope to not offend anyone and I don't see why this would.
     The six scopes I purchased were the following and for various and quite different rifles:
1) Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex
2)Pentax Gameseeker 3-9X40 Precision Plex
3)Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 Nikoplex
4)Bushnell Banner 4-12X40AO
5)Davey Crickett 4X32 Mil Dot
6)Mueller 4.5-14X40AO
     I had done a couple of months worth of searching for info and these were my final choices all things considered. First, the Burris:
Made in Philippines, scope caps were definitely best of the bunch but more aggravating to install due to the higher tension of the thick rubber bands but I must say a sandstorm couldn't penetrate these caps. Eye focus bell, magnification ring were smooth. Nice feature with where you just turn the eye bell to adjust magnification. Recticle adjustment seemed fine and maybe a little on the quiet side with the audible clicks. Liked the ballistic plex recticle. The "Forever Warranty" is nice, just pay S&H, don't have to be the original owner, steel on steel click adjustments, 95% light transmission, 50" adjustment on the recticle, resetable zero dial on turret.Best user friendly owner's manual of the lot because it was an actual book instead of the aggravating fold out styles the rest had. I had high expectations on this scope because I've heard nothing but good stuff about Burris and so far I can't dispute. I forgot to add the fact that I have yet to mount any of these scopes and field test them thoroughly but I have sat down and went thru them pretty well.
     The second one is the Pentax: Made in China, eye focus adjustment started out with a gritty feeling but cleared up after working a few times, recticle is finger adjustable turrets and had the loudest clicks of all scopes tested and felt good aswell. Precision plex recticle is nice, lifetime "worry free" warranty for original owner. Repairs are $19.95 for S&H. Product registration is somewhat confusing, for me anyhow and they even ask all those intrusive questions about how much you make, etc. Stupid if you ask me. Scope must be bought from an authorized dealer for warranty to be effective. Recticle has 60" adjustment. Oh, and warranty even covers a "your fault" deal where it doesn't matter what happened to the scope they'll fix or replace it.
     Third is the Nikon: Must point out that this one, along with the Davey Crickett came in the most rigid boxes with this one having a slight edge (for what it's worth). Made in the Philippines, both eye focus and magnification ring were smooth. Average click adjustment turret but must have a coin, etc. to adjust. All the others can be adjusted with your fingers. Full lifetime warranty, just have to pay S&H, insurance, etc. Does not cover abuse, misuse, neglect or accident. 80" adjustable recticle. Resetable zero dial on turrets. Don't have to register to obtain warranty. Anyone can return for replacement or repair.
     Fourth is the Bushnell: Least protection of any as far as the shipping container goes. Smooth eye adjustment and magnification ring. Made in Korea. Adjustable Objective is smooth. Average audible clicks but here was a big complaint I have, the finger turret on the elevation was super hard to click and at times once you finally exerted enough force to click it it would jump two to three clicks and this was not due to end of travel. The windage was better and not as hard to turn. Registration is not required for warranty, has a resetable zero dial on turrets but must have a jewelers screwdriver to reset. Warranty is for original owner only. Doesn't include misuse, improper handling or installation. Must pay $10.00 S&H and have proof of purchase.
     Fifth is the Davey Crickett: Made in China, comes with bases and rings. Smooth eye focus and nice turret clicks. Like the mil dot recticle. Comes with all hex wrenches needed for bases and rings. Limitied lifetime warranty with proof of purchase. Has 80" recticle adjustment.
     Last is the Mueller: The lock ring on the eye focus bell is harder to grasp to loosen and tighten. Power ring is smooth. Nice "Mueller" name imprinted in eye bell. Nice audible clicks on the turrets. Elevation adjustment was somewhat tight but windage was good. Noticed the windage was not centered. Didn't check all the scopes but what I did do to all was click each one clockwise ten clicks and then back counterclockwise ten clicks and noticed this one ran out of travel clockwise but no biggie. Didn't much care for the "fast focus" eyebell. Seemed to get noticeably loose after part of a single turn but this could be my lack of knowledge showing thru. Warranty if limited lifetime, must have been purchase thru an authorized dealer, must have original sales receipt and pay $12.00 S&H. Worst thing about this scope has nothing to do with performance, etc. But the entire time I was sitting at the table evaluating these scopes I kept smelling a strong chemical smell that was starting to make me cough. I just figured it was one of the containers or plastic shipping materials,etc. and I evaluated the Mueller last and I noticed the smell got really strong when I started looking over and messing with this scope. I pretty much came to the conclusion after running my smeller up and down this scope that it was the eyepiece and all that I could figure out was the rubber protective ring on the end of the eyepiece was what smelled so strong. Anyone else have any Muellers and can sniff on them awhile and see if theirs is like this?
     Okay, now I know this may seem like a bunch of jumbled up garbage to some of you veterans but I figured it couldn't hurt in trying to help some people out that is looking for a middle of the road scope. I know this evaluation was not organized in many senses. I have six other scopes aswell and can say that I love my Leupold Vari-X II 4-12X40 (which I got from a friend at a crazy low price) and I love my Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40. The Bushnell is my pick because of price, of course. You can't touch a Vari-X II in my price range these days. I have high hopes for the Burris because they are just flat out built well and is a well run company, in my opinion. I even bought one of these scopes from Optics Planet because of this website. I've only posted a couple of times on here but hope to come back soon and try to keep from getting too rusty. Good shooting to you all. Dennis

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Hope this helps.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:41:57 AM »
Dennis,
Thanks for your sharing your efforts and information. 

Optics choices are (at least to me) by no means simple equations, so every bit of information and experience is useful to "put into the mix" in order to learn, make the right choices, and get the most value for your money.  I think "the middle of the road" is where most of the values are to be discovered.

Very much appreciated!
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.