Author Topic: Leupold v Nikon  (Read 1521 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold v Nikon
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »
I was at Walmart earlier pickin out a new scope for my new deer rifle and couldnt decide between the Leopold Rifleman 3-9x40 or a Nikon  3-9x40. They were both $199.99. After looking them over side by side I noticed the little sticker on the bottom of the Leupold that says "Lifetime Guarantee." Well that sounded good so I flipped the Nikon over and  couldnt believe it when it said in not so small letters "Made in Philippines." I never expected a brand like Nikon to have their products assembled out of the United States. Needless to say I walked out with the Leupold.

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Leupold v Burris
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »
GOOD FOR YOU!  Ken

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Leupold v Nikon
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:28:08 PM »
I never expected a brand like Nikon to have their products assembled out of the United States.

You have GOT to be kidding!  :o Nikon is a Japanese company. NOTHING of theirs is Made in the USA. Surely you're not just now hearing of them being Japanese????  ::)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:49:50 AM »
I had no idea they werent made in the United States. Like I saidIi was buying the scope for my new(meaning first) deer rifle. SO far Ive only hunted with shotguns and handguns and have had no experience with quality optics since I dont have any on my handguns. Since I was little Ive known of most of the major Scope brands and I just assumed they were good quality optics made in the US.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 08:11:12 AM »
Nope, actually hardly any are "made in the USA" anymore. Weaver once was way back when but hasn't been in a long long time. Redfield was once long ago but no more. Leupold still is but I don't think they do their own glass anymore, it's imported from Japan. Burris still makes "some" of their scopes in the US but I seriously doubt they do any of their own glass either. Where they get it tho seems a close held secret.

If there are any others actually made in US they would be really small outfits and likely import all components and just assemble here if even that. ALL other major brands are made outside the US. You'll find them coming from Japan (pretty much all excellent), China (spotty-some excellent and some junk), Phillipines (have no experience with these) and various other places. The European brands are excellent but way too pricy for me and have features I'd not have at half the price of other brands anyway.

So bottom line is not much is "made in USA" anymore optics wise.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »
It's too bad you didn't like the made in Phillipines thing,  it is a much better scope than the Rifleman.

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »
It is my understanding that all glass lenses were basically being manufactured by only two companies stat supply everybody but a few. I also would have picked up the leupold but I would have gone with a vari x II

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 06:08:03 AM »
It is my understanding that all glass lenses were basically being manufactured by only two companies stat supply everybody but a few. I also would have picked up the leupold but I would have gone with a vari x II
A Leupold Vari-X II would probably be a used scope (I suppose one might find one NIB), they are no longer being manufactured.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
I assume the Nikon was the Buckmasters.  Either way, you walked out with the lesser of the two regardless where it was made.  The Rifleman is no where near the quality as the Buckmasters, and doesn't even come close to comparing with the Nikon.  Let's see, with the Rifleman, you get around 86% light transmission, friction adjustments (no "clicks"), multi-piece tube, and fully coated lenses.  For the same amount of money, you could have gotten 91% light transmission, finger adjustable turrets, one-piece tube, and mutli-coated lenses on the Nikon.  Basically, with the Leupold, you got a scope that is optically inferior to the Nikon, poorly repeatable turret adjustments that require a tool to manipulate (and guestimation), and a tube that has a higher potential for failure and fogging due to multiple pieces.  Oh, and the lenses don't even have the same level coatings!

Sure, it may say "Made in the USA", but it does have imported glass.
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 03:55:30 AM »
Even thought I am a Leupold guy, I believe the Nikon would of been a better choice in this instance. The rifleman is an OK scope.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
Ditto!!! I typically would buy from the VXII up in the Leupold. I did buy one VXI this year (now last year) & it will be fine on that gun as I won't be adjusting often, but the Rifleman's only purpose is to offer a lower priced unit & the Buckmasters is better.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
 Either one is going to be better than the $50 scopes I have on my rimfires.  Im just glad I have a somewhat high-quality scope on a good rifle that Ill be passing down to my grandchildren.

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
For about $10 less you could get a 3x9x40 Burris FF II.  Fully Multi-Coated, Steel on Steel clicks, one piece hard tube, B-Plex, lifetime warrenty, I think they're throwing in a set of binocs or something also.  But they are made in the P.I. just like the Nikons. 
31 bertram

Offline bamabigfoot

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:53:27 AM »
stay with leupold. you cannot beat their lifetime warranty.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire, in the last issue of Rifle magazine, John Barsness had an article about when he toured the Leupold factory recently.  Turns out that the Rifleman scope is the exact same scope as the old Vari-X II, except that it's not a multi-piece tube anymore.  Same friction adjustments, same coatings on the lenses.  The scope is one piece, the objective bell, tube, and adjustment housing are all integral, with the eyepiece being threaded on the end of the tube, like 99% of all other companies scopes.  With that being said, I think that Leupolds are over-priced and over-rated and I would have got the Nikon if I had to choose between those two scopes.  About "Made in America", well, I like to support the homefront, but how many people have these "Made in America" scopes on Sako's, Tikka's, Howa's, Brownings, Traditions, CVA, etc?  None of which are made in the States.  Maybe if more people put their American scopes on American rifles, Winchester would still be employing people in New Haven??????  Maybe T/C wouldn't have been sold to Smith & Wesson???  Food for thought..........

Offline Cyclonefootball85

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
i recently purchased a leupold scope and put it on a browning rifle i love both my rifle and my scope and leupold is the top of the line as far as common optics go

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
Leupold makes a fine scope. Have a few myself. Fact is, they are over priced. There are scopes out there with a lifetime warrantee and are just as good if not better optically and at a lower price point. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 11:30:49 AM »
Ahab nailed it......my sentiments exactly.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
YEAH