Author Topic: Brass Tacks to decorate a wood stock? Saw it recently.  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Brass Tacks to decorate a wood stock? Saw it recently.
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:45:08 AM »
In this months issue of THE BACKWWODSMAN magazine someone decorated their NEF shotgun with brass tacks in the stock and forearm.

Where can I buy these? Are they primarily for grip or decoration? Has anyone here done this to their NEF guns? How do you like it? Picutes?

Thanks.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Re: Brass Tacks to decorate a wood stock? Saw it recently.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:53:48 AM »
Ridge Runner,

Here is a link with the tacks. The blackpowder guys would be the source for info. If I did one I would drill the holes with a drill bit just alittle smaller then the tacks shaft. They are hard to get in. The shafts bend.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(sbcv03mbgq0pudbiqd4aogaq))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=1&subID=12&styleID=1159

Good Luck!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:47:59 AM »
In this months issue of THE BACKWWODSMAN magazine someone decorated their NEF shotgun with brass tacks in the stock and forearm.

Where can I buy these? Are they primarily for grip or decoration? Has anyone here done this to their NEF guns? How do you like it? Picutes?

Thanks.
You can use upholstery tacks.  They come with steel shanks, but make sure to get the ones with real brass heads.  The brass finish on mine are rubbing off. ???  I decorated a couple of my flintlocks and a Rossi mod 92.  I used masking tape on the stocks to lay out the pattern then predrilled the holes. 

Brass tacks were primarily used for decoration though they do tend to add some gripping surface especially on smooth forends.  You can find the ones I mentioned at any hardware store and come in different sizes.
Singing Bear

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:07:25 AM »
Well, it's not a shotgun, or a NEF. But here is my Rolling Block 30-30 with the tack treatment.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline SSS

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »
That looks pretty cool.  What brand is it?

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
This was the Star Apache Model sold in the '60s or '70s. Came in 30-30 and 44 Mag. Was also available in the Standard Model (no tacks). Action was Spanish (Star), rifles were assembled in New York using barrels made by H&R., as I understand it. I've owned two of the 30-30s, but have not seen a 44 Mag. My first one had a Lyman receiver and front ramp sights.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:41:31 PM »

If you're going to do this on a gun you would want better quality tacks than the ones sold for upholstery. Tack made for putting in guns can be bought from Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, or Crazy Crow Trading Post.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff