Author Topic: 1860 Army cartridge conversion  (Read 974 times)

Offline jd45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
1860 Army cartridge conversion
« on: December 31, 2006, 06:39:16 AM »
Happy New Year to all! I realize this question may not set too well with some purists. I have a Uberti 1860 Army with full-fluted cylinder which is a really sweet gun, but I've come to the realization that my nature is just NOT suited to frontloading. Now that people are marketing cartridge conversion kits, I'd like to convert mine to .45 Colt, which I shoot in my other guns as well. I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you who have converted your 1860 C & B revolvers. I understand a side benefit is that your gun becomes much more accurate, as well. Has that been your experience? Thanx for the feedback, JD45

Offline Flint

Re: 1860 Army cartridge conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
The conversion I have is an R&D drop-in, 5 shot.  It requires the barrel to be removed to load and unload, but the 1860 I put it on can be disassembled without a mallet, just thumb pressure on the wedge.

I shot a Cowboy match with it last month and it was fine.  Paired it with a Remington, and shot both with 45 Schofield with black powder loads.  I was one shot short of a clean match.

They do quite well and are safe with smokeless loads, I wanted to make more noise and smoke that day.

The 5 shot R&D is SASS legal because it has cylinder lock notches between the chambers so the hammer can be set between the cartridges, making it safe.

Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
Re: 1860 Army cartridge conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »
Thanx Flint, for the words of encouragement.........I'll call Randy at R&D. I don't plan to go beyond CAS-level handloads for this setup. JD45