Author Topic: Best Scope for 300 WM for Deer and Hogs  (Read 423 times)

Offline ronangelia7

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Scope for 300 WM for Deer and Hogs
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:13:50 AM »

With a new CZ550 300 WM on the way. I have to figure out the best scope for the money. I need a scope that sets low as possible,can take the recoil with no problem,clear, water proof,reasonably priced and of course hold zero. Most hunting here, especially hogs will average a 60 to 70 yard shot off the shoulder. I hunt usually around creeks,heavy brush. I need a scope with a good eye relief and able to get on target quickly for a possible follow up shot,or in case a hog charges. I never seen that happen,but have heard of it.. I have been using a rifle with lyman peep sights. This works well at close range,but in poor light is difficult. It would be nice if the scope were capable of a 200 yard shot if  ever necessary. Right now I am looking at the differant leupolds VX 2 and VX 3 and Burris. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.Happy New Year
                                                                     Ron

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Best Scope for 300 WM for Deer and Hogs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:57:43 AM »
A Leupold VXII 1X4X20 or a VXIII 1.5X5X20 sounds like it would work for you listed needs. Even consider a Leupold VXII 2X7X32mm.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline ronangelia7

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:44:59 AM »

I have a Leupold Var X III 3.5 x 10 x 50. I have always found them to be good scopes. Best warranty in the industry. Guys at the local gunshop yesterday were saying Nikon is better for the money. I think I will stick with Leupold and not worry about it. Are the vx III scope worth the 100.00 to 150.00 dollars more than the vx II. Money is getting a little tight this time of year. Do not want to go cheap on optics. thanks

Ron

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »

I have a Leupold Var X III 3.5 x 10 x 50. I have always found them to be good scopes. Best warranty in the industry. Guys at the local gunshop yesterday were saying Nikon is better for the money. I think I will stick with Leupold and not worry about it. Are the vx III scope worth the 100.00 to 150.00 dollars more than the vx II. Money is getting a little tight this time of year. Do not want to go cheap on optics. thanks

Ron

In my opinion, yes. But is it really a necessity, that will be up to you.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dennis17

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:32:12 AM »
     In my opinion, best scope for the money and have one sitting on my .300 Win. Mag. is a Bushnell Elite 3200. It's tested at 1000 rounds of .375 H&H and can be bought for under $200.00. I say "best for the money" only for the heavier recoil guns though. I would feel confident with this scope or either a Burris Fullfield II and any other Burris from this model on up in price. Burris makes tough scopes. Lots of scopes that I would trust but the line gets thinner and thinner the more recoil you are talking about. Any of the Bushnell Elites, Burris Fullfield II's and up, any Leupold or Zeiss. Swarvorski's and such are not considered only because I refuse to work two jobs in order to have the money to purchase them.