Author Topic: Pietta 1858 New Army Stainless Steel  (Read 855 times)

Offline Philc40

• Trade Count: (1)
Pietta 1858 New Army Stainless Steel
« on: April 29, 2003, 11:18:08 AM »
Just purchased a Pietta 1858, the timing was off, and the cylinder and barrel don't line up. This is what I have done to rectify the problem, let me know if I have gone in the right direction. Since I have the availability of a machine shop, I reproduced a longer hand to bring the cylinder in line with the barrel. I then filed the cylinder stop window to line up with the edge of the cylinder stop notch. I had to designed a new offset cylinder stop to compensate for bringing in the cylinder closer to the center of the frame. The newly manufactured parts were then filed for proper fit and timing, the parts were then case hardened and re-installed. Action is now smooth and tight, the cylinder has no play in it.
I still haven't shot the revolver, but maybe within a couple of weeks, I'll have the time.
NRA Life Member
Guthsville R&G Club

Offline howdy doody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Pietta 1858 New Army Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 02:39:36 PM »
Sounds like you got it, but I have to think your new pietta was a mess. I have had to make hand adjustments on mine, but never stops and it is a good thing too, because I have eight cylinders and swap them out. Once getting my hand correct I can swap cylinders and it never spits lead. Go out and try it, sounds like it will be a good shooter now, but that was a lot of work. Next thing to try is a wolf colt main spring. They fit right in and the reduced leverage needed to cock sure makes it pleasant. They fire off remington #10 caps just fine too.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA