Author Topic: 35 Remington loads  (Read 1032 times)

Offline TNrifleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
35 Remington loads
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:32:21 PM »
I have a Remington Model 141 pump action rifle chambered for the 35 Remington cartridge. I am an experienced handloader, but just recently bagan loading the 35 Remington. Are there any particular considerations for loading for this rifle? I assume that it is as strong as the Marlin 336. I'm using RCBS dies, Remington 200 grain Core-lokt bullets, CCI 200 primers and R-P cases. My current powder choices are AA 2460 and Reloder 7.

Please share your experience with loading the 35 Remington cartridge. What is your pet load for this great old round? Thanks all!

Offline victorcharlie

Re: 35 Remington loads
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:20:14 AM »
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:04:13 AM »
The M141 is not as strong as the M336, I'd recommend keeping your loads at factory pressure levels.  I've loaded the .35 Remington for 25 years with great success, but keep a few things in mind.  The small shoulder gets a lot of bad press - but it is plenty for headspace control, believe me.  The common headspace problem is due to a mismatch between the chamber and the sizing die.  Do not set up your FL sizing die for maximum sizing by screwing it far into the press!  This often results in excess headspace and short case life due to case head separations.  If you control your headspace by setting the FL die to just touch the shoulder (smoke the case with a match) case life can be virtually unlimited.  I have cases with over 20 firings on them and they have no indications of head separations....I haven't separated or even cracked a .35 Rem case in over 23 years.

I've used a lot of different bullets in my .35s, but arguably the "best" hunting bullet is the Remington 200-grain CoreLokt.  Designed specifically for this cartridge, it usually gives fine accuracy and perfect performance on game.  Good luck and enjoy the .35!

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »
Victorcharlie, Lonestar:

Guys, thanks for the great information. I printed off the info from Marlinowners. That guy did a good job in researching the 35 Remington.

Lonestar, As you recommended,  I fully intend to hold to factory pressures, as I believe the 141 deserves to be treated with respect, and the 35 Remington really doesn't need to be "hot-rodded" to kill game cleanly. I assume that loading info offered by Alliant, Speer, Hornady, etc. is held to factory (SAAMI) specifications, rather than hot loaded. My current loads use the great Remington 200 grain Core-lokt bullet and AA 2460 (36 grains) or Reloder 7 (30 grains) with COL held to 2.510". Cases were trimmed to 1.910".  Both loads are one grain below the published max from Accurate and Alliant. Both loads shoot quite well, with no signs of pressure. I don't have a cronograph, so I can't be sure of the velocity with the 141s 24" barrel (1950-2000 fps?). Thanks again for the help.