Poll

What is your favorite left handed rifles?

Browning
20 (16.8%)
Ruger
10 (8.4%)
Remington
20 (16.8%)
Savage
41 (34.5%)
Tikka
12 (10.1%)
Winchester
5 (4.2%)
Other
11 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Favorite Left Handed Rifles..  (Read 11739 times)

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Favorite Left Handed Rifles..
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
What is being used.. We need to get this forum up and running...

Offline toysoldier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Favorite Left Handed Rifles..
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:40:11 AM »
One might ask "What left-handed rifles do you have?  How many readers have more than one?" Or how about "Have you made a right-handed shooter try to shoot left-handed?" ;D

Offline yote10

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:01:06 AM »
I'm a remington shooter. I have four L/H bolts in 20 Tac.,222Rem,223Rem and a 22-250 rem. my next project will be another 20 cal. then a 243AI since rem offers a L/H bolt in 243.

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
 i have 2 a  browning  A bolt II hunter 325 wsm topped with a 2.5-8 leupold and a ruger ss laminate in 270 win topped with a simmons 3-9x40 ;D

Offline Gregory

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »
Brownings are my favorites followed by Savage

My lefty bolt actions:
Remington 581 22LR
Savage 93GL 22 Mag
Browning A Bolt 22 Hornet
Browning A Bolt 25/06
Savage 11FL 7mm-08

added a
Browning A Bolt 30/06 in 2007
Winchester Model 70 in 270WSM in 2008
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Dinosaur

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
I'm right handed and right eye dominated.  About ten years ago I developed macular degeneration in my right eye.  To continue to shoot my iorn sighted rifles I reprogramed myself to shoot left handed.  Of necessity I must close my right eye.  I went throught a number of left handed bolt actions before finding a Ruger 77 300 win mag.  I have two favorite loads.  First a 180 gr. failsafe and RL22 for about 3100 fps and second a casr 115 gr 32 cal RNFP and 9 grs of bullseye at 1480 or 10.5 grs at 1660.  The 115 cast has proved very effective on jacks and raccoons.  Much more than a 22.  And of course the 180 flattens everthing else.

I liked the 300 so much I bought a Ruger 77 25-06.  It was the smallest cal 77 I could buy with the left handed bolt.  I would have preferred a 22 center fire.  I use it on jacks, rock chucks, coyotes and my favorite target, white rocks.

I also have and shoot a .223 savage left handed bolt.  It's used for the same targets as the 25-06.  I seldom shoot any of my other rifles now, as switching action types sometimes causes operator problems.  The Savage is as accurate as the rugers, maybe more so, but it dosen't warm my heart like they do.

I also seldom use iron sights now, only scopes.  I kill enought running jacks to convince myseft that I have made the switch and if I find myself in an awkward position for a left hander I can still make shots under a hundred yards right handed. (on larger animals and rocks)

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
I have two Remington 700s in .308 and .30-06.  A Ruger in .300 Win Mag.  And a Mathieu in .300 Win Mag. 

Offline blusmoke

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Silence is golden
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »
I am also r handed and have the devils eye. Here is my list:
Rem 700 vs .223 trued and threaded for supressor Norrels moly coat green w/a few other tricks up her sleve
Rem 700 rebarreled for .257 Wthby. all appropriate smithing chores done
Montana 99 lh in 7 mm08 Montana bbl. with accurate innovations stock
Montana 99 .308 HB threaded for supressor Laminated walnut stock
Savage 10 in 300 wsm
Savage 110 30 06
Savage 93 in 17 hmr

Ignorance and motivation are a horrible combination

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
  I have numerous left hand center fire rifles.  Also Browning T bolt, Browning semi Auto, and Rem. 22's...  but my most favorite left hand firearm of all is my Krieghoff.

DM

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »
1.  Own three Remington 700 left handed guns.  One each in .22/308, .308 and .30-06. 
2.  One left handed Ruger in .300 Win Mag.
3.  One left handed Mathieu in 300 Win Mag.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 03:15:42 AM »
Had a Rem 700 LH in .30-'06, never could warm up to it. Hunt deer now with a muzzleloader or a Rem 870 slug gun with a LH safety installed. I do own a Savage Mk II LH in .22LR -- accurate enough, and with some stock modifications and a trigger job, very nice to shoot.

I was attracted to this forum because of the NEF section -- inexpensive and fun little single-shots that are essentially ambidextrous. But the idea of building a truly great left-handed bolt rifle is always in the back of my mind . . . every time I see one of David Petzal's beautiful lefties in Field and Stream, I get the urge to look for the "perfect deer rifle" -- a mirror image Mauser 98 short action, 20" medium-contour barrel in .250 Savage or 7mm-08, light fiberglass stock, low-power scope with irons as a backup. I live in Wisconsin, and that's all you need for our deer and terrain here.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 12:00:41 PM »
I have a
Remington 700 in .270
Savage 12vlss in 22-250
Savage mark II in .22
My shotgun is also an old savage, I am not even sure of the model but it has served me well.
I also have one of thoes LH muzzeloaders that Cabelas sell.

My next purchases will be Savages as well. I have been happy with their preformance and I like the price even more. I grew up a remington man, but being young, money is tight and Savage has a larger selection of left handed arms than any other company I am aware of.

I do own a few RH bolts but they are not my primary weapons. I have either inherited them or got them at a price that I could not pass up.

Offline Red Canyon

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:33:24 PM »
I just got a CZ 17HMR in left hand.  Put a Burris 4-12 RF/AG with Ballistic Plex.  It's a sweeheart.  Looked all over for Savage in LH heavy barrel with Accur Trigger, friedn has right hand that just shoots out of this world, but no luck, came across the CZ and thought better do it while I had the chance.  Completely different type of rifle than the Savage, about same price but with sporter barrel. Soon as weather is decent, will punch some holes.
Red Canyon  AKA 44 WCF

Offline Red Canyon

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »
oh by the way,
I have
Browning ABolt in 7mm Mag, first production with bolt that binds, looking for unsuspecting dealer who give decent trade on on A bolt ll.
Rem 700   .243 Win
Savage 10 Low Pro Varminter .204,
Rem 700  .308
Savage 110 in 270,  from the mid 70's ,old workhorse, with removable clip,  not a beauty now but more big game than all the rest cpmbined.

I have begun to shoot Encore's,  mostly because of cost to try new calibers.  Have 338 Federal barrel just arrived.
Red Canyon  AKA 44 WCF

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
hey red let us know how that 338 federal works out for you i have been thinking about getting a 338 federal but in a tikka t-3 lite stainless lefthand. ;D by the way does anyone know if they will  offer the federal  in the tikka lh ss t3? .                                                                                                                                                                                                      p.s. good luck with the new barrel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         thanx,superdown

Offline sambo3006

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 04:35:15 AM »
My favorite is a Remington LSS that I had rebarreled to 30-06AI 25" #5 fluted stainless Shilen Match, pillar bedded and floated. It will shoot 1/2" all day long and I have killed probably 20 deer with it over the last 10 seasons.
A close second is my Remington 338RUM that is ported and Duracoated and pillar bedded in an LSS stock. This baby will shoot the 225 gr Accubond into 3/4" average at 200 yds if I do my part.  Message to elk: Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!
I remember when I first got interested in shooting as a teenager in the mid 80's you could buy any left handed rifle you wanted as long as it was a Remington or Savage blued wood stock and any caliber as long as it was 270, 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. There was also the Weatherby Mark V that could be had in the awesome 300 Wby but my pockets weren't deep enough!
We are truly living in a golden age for southpaws with a great selection of left handed rifles available.

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:34 PM »
I posted a list of my current LH bolt action rifles in another section of this forum.  I have over 15 LH firearms of all types, my favourites?

Left Hand Remington 1187 semi auto shotgun - I had a good collection of choke tubes and shot a 99/100 in skeet with it one golden afternoon (never could do it again) and countless ducks.  It was confiscated by the Australian Government in 1996 when they banned ALL semiauto longarms including 22's.  How did they get it? Well, first they require you to register your guns then a couple of years later they come and take them.

Left Hand Randall .45 Auto, even the magazines and the rifling went the other way.  I kept it stock and shot it constantly in IPSC and combat matches.  This one was confiscated (stolen) by the Australian government in 2003 when ALL handguns in a calibre above .38/9mm were considered evil and taken from the law abiding.

The ones you love the most are the ones that are taken before their time.  Never forget - registration will lead to confiscation, sooner or later the government will come for ALL your guns, but only if they know you have them.  The smartest people I know are the ones that never registered (I did) and they arent harassed, inspected and raided because no-one in government knows they even exist.

I persist, being left handed I am used to facing adversity from the manufacturers, this is just a different form of it.

Shooter2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline Gregory

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 08:27:23 AM »

Left Hand Randall .45 Auto, even the magazines and the rifling went the other way.  I kept it stock and shot it constantly in IPSC and combat matches.  This one was confiscated (stolen) by the Australian government in 2003 when ALL handguns in a calibre above .38/9mm were considered evil and taken from the law abiding.

Shooter2

You could have sent this one to me for safekeeping.  I would have taken it out for exercise on a regular basis.

;)
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 10:43:06 PM »
Hi Greg,
          If I and a lot of other guys could have got our guns out of the country we would have.  Apparently Customs decided the 'trafiking' in the newly illegal firearms was immoral, not illegal mind you, just immoral, so they refused to process export permits.

If you think that was bad, a pair of Gold plated .45 1911's from the movie Face/Off went into the crusher as well  :o.  One of only 4 sets ever made.  I also witnessed an original Colt Second Model Dragoon get handed in.  Thankfully the local Police Ballistics Unit got ahold of it and it is now part of their permanent firearms library.  there was no thought or conscience about this process, some of Federal Officials even took delight in destroying history and private property.

In a way I was lucky, most of my guns being left handed were not on the prohibited list, but only because the manufacturers never got around to building them in the more interesting configurations that are considered 'bad' by our controllers.

Shooter 2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 05:27:42 AM »
Like db22 I frequent the H&R/NEF forums and have gone that way mainly because of being left handed. I used to have an Ithaca model 37 in 20 ga. that I liked to shoot, but gave it up when I went with the NEF Tracker II The Tracker II is more accurate than any slug gun I have shot. Sold the Ithaca to a neighbor whose daughter was left handed and she loves it. None of my kids wanted it, so I bought them what they wanted. After having the safety switched on the Ithaca, they called it a left handed shotgun.

Offline John Spartan

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
Currently, my favorite is a lefty Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06.

I also have a precision rifle built on a lefty MRC 1999 action chambered for 6.5x55 Swedish

Most recent acquisition was a lefty T3 Lite Stainless in 6.5x55 Swedish that I'm kitting out. This will be my walking rifle.

Another rifle I have is a Ruger 77 MkII in .25-06 that was going to be a donor gun for a custom project, but it shoots too good for that.

Lastly, I have a custom project in the works with a 1999 MRC  being done up in 8mm Mauser.
- John Spartan

Offline deserthunter

• 31" Muley - Dad shot in NE Utah many years ago.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
I voted for the Savage mainly because it's my current "project".   It's a 12FLV in 308win.  I throw away the factory stock and put a Choate Varminter on it.  Tactical bolt, lowered the trigger to 2.25#'s, 10moa Farrel Base and Rings,  Harris Bi-pod and lastly a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T with varmint retical. 

After braking in the barrel, I loaded up some 150gr Nosler wonderful plastic tipped bullets with a handful of Varget.  Now I'm not a particularly good shot but after a couple of fouling rounds, the rifle shot a .16" group.   Since I bought it for a long range varmint rifle, I suppose it my favorite.

I guess my other lefties are all Remington 700's, but that's another story.........

Offline superdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 06:56:42 AM »
 ;D seems like savage and browning are more popular choices so far .  drillingman i realy like that krieghoff   what is it chambered in?                                                                                                                     

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »
drillingman i realy like that krieghoff   what is it chambered in?

16-16- 8x57jrs, i also have a couple slide in tubes to convert it to 20 ga. too....   8)

unless i have a rimfire insert bbl. in place,

DM

Offline basdjs

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 05:57:01 PM »
Favorites are 40 yr.old Savage Model 110 LH .243, T/C Encore .260 Rem, T/C Encore 50x209, T/C Encore .223.

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 09:07:37 PM »
My Kimber's.  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »
I only have 2 at the moment.

Savage 93 in .17
Cabelas .50 cap lock

More to come though!

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2007, 10:31:53 AM »
 I own two, a Savage 16FLSS in .308 Winchester and a Browning Stainless Stalker W/BOSS in 7mm Remington Mag. I prefer the Savage for hunting in wooded areas, is much lighter and shorter than my Browning.  When the situation calls for extra accuracy and power at 300 plus yards, the Browning is unmatched.  I resist telling just how good it groups at 300 yards less someone thinks I'm telling a big one! I will say this...A broadside standing Buck at 400 yards is mine (IF!) I do my part. 

Offline Slamfire

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 08:05:30 PM »
I'm down to the original Savage 110L that I bought when JFK was the President Elect. It was a .243 but lost interest in varmint bullets in the middle 80s. I had it rebored to Ken Water's .263 Express, which is now the .260 Remington. I gave my Remington 788 to my oldest grandson, when he graduated Valedictorian from High School, just after his 18th birthday. Danged thing was too heavy for me.
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »
My LH rifles are:

Winchester 70 Sporter 7mm rem mag/ Burris DD bases Signature rings/Nikon Monarch 2x7
Remington 700 BDL 30-06 w/Sims recoil pad added/ Burris DD bases Signature Rings/Redfield Illuminator 3x9

BTW, another thanks for adding a LH forum.