Poll

What is your favorite left handed rifles?

Browning
20 (16.8%)
Ruger
10 (8.4%)
Remington
20 (16.8%)
Savage
41 (34.5%)
Tikka
12 (10.1%)
Winchester
5 (4.2%)
Other
11 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Favorite Left Handed Rifles..  (Read 11738 times)

Offline Gregory

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Favorite Left Handed Rifles..
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »
Brownings are my favorites followed by Savage

My lefty bolt actions:
Remington 581 22LR
Savage 93GL 22 Mag
Browning A Bolt 22 Hornet
Browning A Bolt 25/06
Savage 11FL 7mm-08

Added a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30/06 to the list this year.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:15 AM »
The M1A, AR15, NEF, HK, Mini14, FAL, Mini30, SKS, and AK47 are some of my favorite left handed rifles.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »
The M1A, AR15, NEF, HK, Mini14, FAL, Mini30, SKS, and AK47 are some of my favorite left handed rifles.

Thing is, they aren't all "left handed" rifles...  They are "right handed" rifles a left handed person is using...

DM

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 03:09:02 AM »
I have 3 LH bolts;

.270 Win Tikka T3 SS lite ;)
.243 Savage tricked out w/ target trigger, Stockade stock, SS barrel, bolt, trigger guard and spare .308 barrel for it. both sporters shooting honest sub 1/2 MOA at 200 yds
17HMR Savage base model 93

Tikka is my favorite, shoots even better than the Savages, lighter, more bombproof and that's out of the box with no doctoring...
the Savage 17HMR is my next favorite because the caliber is so much fun.

Offline rugerman

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
I'm right handed but my oldest son is a lefty and he is real fond of my ruger #1's espically the .270 that he killed his first deer with.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
My left-handed long guns are a Savage 12FLV and a Remington 788, both in .308 Winchester.

I also have a couple of lever actions (Marlin in .357 Mag and Rossi in .45 Colt), a Mossberg pump shotgun, and an NEF .410 single-shot.  The rest of my rifles are mostly old mil-surps (left-handed bolts weren't really an option on the Mosin-Nagant and Mauser) or semi-autos.

My AR-15 has an ambi-dextrous safety.  Neither of my FALs do.  The safety on the Mini-14 is lefty friendly (better for us, even, since we don't have to reach all they way through the trigger guard to disengage it).  The safety on my M1 Garand is ambidextrous, too.

I'll probably look for a Browning for my next lefty bolt-gun.  Haven't decided on a cartridge for it, but I do like the .22 Hornet (rather, the K-Hornet, for which I have a carbine barrel on my Contender).  Then again, I may well pick up the next left-handed 788 I see in 6mm (I've seen a couple, but was looking for a .308 at the time).

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »
I don't own any left handed rifles but I hunt and shoot with NEF rifles and shotguns which are ambidextrous.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Shiner

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »
I have a Ruger 77 270 and a Savage 17 HMR that are both left hand and I love them both. I also recently purchased a Browning BLR in 308 for my son, but it works well for me too. It took me awhile to get used to left hand rifles after shooting right hand rifles all my life, but now that I have gotten used to them I don't think I will ever go back!! I'm looking into a left hand semi auto shotgun now.

Offline Wrongside

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
Ruger M77 followed very closely by the Winchester M70.
CSSA
CPC
PCofAB

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »
Graybeard Outdoors > Miscellaneous Issues and Topics > Left Hand Firearms and Equipment (Moderator: superdown) > Favorite Left Handed Rifles..

I am left eye dominate!  I did not realize this until I was around 12-years old.

In 1957 I got a Remington 760 pump.  When scoped I found I could be effective right and left handed.  The safety is still the stock right handed safety.  The safety is not an issue I carry the rife with left hand behind the trigger guard and the pistol grip.  I found no need to change the safety to operate from the left side.  In fact I considered such a modification a safety hazard if the rifle was used by another.  This became more apparent when I got into law enforcement and at times we shared an 870.

The M760 ejects rounds out the right side, and I have never found that to be a problem when shooting left-handed.  When it comes to time to reload the magazine release is on the bottom and easily be inserted from the left or right side.

On occasions I hunt grouse in deer season carrying a few rifle slugs with me.  Right or left-handed use is not an issue with a double barrel shotgun or opening the action.  I have an Ithaca pump that works great right or left-handed sending rifle slugs down range.

My Real Left-Handed rifle is a Savage 110CL (Clip/Left) in 270 Winchester.  It is my go-to, light weight, mountain rifle.  The three position safety is on the tang, which is very handy.

I modified a hammer extension for my Marlin 336 so that it works without a problem from the left and right side.

I took my deer the last four years shooting right-handed bolts from the left side.  Fortunately the first round did the job.  Last fall I was setting, and wearing rain gear.  I know that chambering a second round was on the slow side compared with the 760/110CL/336. 

As a footnote I have a couple of friends that started hunting with surplus Springfield rifles over fifty years ago.  They killed a lot of bucks in the glory days with those right-handed Springfield’s.  As adults they purchased and hunted with right-handed rifles.

If I was to buy a new centerfire rifle it would be a left-handed model.  When I look at used guns I look for a left-handed bolt.  When I go into sporting goods stores I look for left handed bolts on the rack.   

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Since my first post on this thread I have added 2 more lefty rifles. One, a left handed CZ 452 American in .22lr. I love it. It was more expensive than a standard bolt action .22 but the thing feels and handles like a centerfire rifle. It is now my favorite lefthanded rifle.

The other is an AR by Stag Arms. A true lefty rifle, the ejection port is on the left side. I bought the upper and assembled the lower from parts. If you are a lefty and are wanting a left handed AR, look into them.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
I have a Rem 700 ADL (currently in .30-06) that I'm building into a (with BAFT's permission pending) pistol likely to be in .308 or .358 Winchester.  For light and heavy cast bullets.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline nilz

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2010, 11:51:28 PM »
I got a Tikka 695 6,5X55 as  favorite bolt gun! a bit heavy and long but the balance and accuracy is good, it makes me look good on the range

Offline nova71

• Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:20 AM »
I voted for Savage since I have four of them, two early 110L (5 digit serial number) in .308 and.243 and two newer ones a 93GL in .22mag and a 93R17 in .17HMR all are real tack drivers  ;D
It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8 (center of the bible)

Handi-List
 204Ruger, 223Rem, 243Win, 30-30Win,450 Marlin, 44Mag, 357Max, 357Mag, 45-70, 20ga Partner, 20ga shorty.

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »
I have a left hand savage weather warrior in .243 that I love. Also as you guessed I am left handed, but the kicker is I am right eye dominant and it sucks.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
I have a left hand savage weather warrior in .243 that I love. Also as you guessed I am left handed, but the kicker is I am right eye dominant and it sucks.

I have a cousin who is left-handed and right eye dominant (exact opposite of me).  He just shoots right-handed.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 07:48:29 AM »
Recently added a CZ 452 Lux LH to my collection (traded lots of stuff for it, walked out with it after paying only $69 cash). Easily the nicest, most accurate .22 I have ever owned, and one of my favorite guns, regardless of chambering.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
My new CZ 452 American 22 LR is my favorite left-handed gun.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »
I have 2 Tikka T3's .223 and 7mm mag.both stainless lites.
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
I only have one it's a savage 111, 25-06 all my other bolt actions are right handed.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
St. Stalker 30/06. Love the top tang safety.I'm shooting it next week for hyde co. nc bears. My son will have my normal bear gun ,BAR '06.w/boss. Hope the crabs are still in the causeways. Be livin'large, because how many times will one get to take his son bear hunting in a #1 place?

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
Sedgley 03 Springfield

Offline yooperamoungtrolls

• "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt 1913
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »
As a lefty I started hunting with a Winchester 94 in .30WCF(1947 mfg.) that was my dads first deer rifle. He had a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in .30-06, so I never really shot it much. As a old fashoned top eject I guess you could call it ambiextrous.

My first real lefty was a used Savage 110 lefty in .270, I bought it from an a guy that came in to the store I worked at for $200.00 with and old Tasco variable on it. The finish on the birch stock was bad and in general not a very pretty rifle but it shot well and I took many deer in the UP through my college years. I traded it for a mossberg 500, which I regret now.

After college I bought a Remington 700 LH in .308win. This one happend to be on the shelf at a gunsmiths shop(the guy that ordered it never came to get it). I got a good deal on it but it was the sniper/varmint model with the 26in heavy brrl and wide fore end composite stock. I hunted with it for 2 years and took 3 deer with it the furthest at about 250yds. It was accurate as hell but NOT a deer rifle. After a devorice I was drunk with money and took it back to the gunsmith(well known from Illinois) and he built me a .300WSM just months after it was initailly introduced by Win/Browning. It was the first WSM he had built and surely one of the very first ever in left hand. A new light sporter brrl, laminated wood stock and a trigger job made a pretty gun and I was the talk of deer camp that following year. It has been my go to big game rifle since 2001.

Most of my deer hunting is in the Rifle zone here but I live in a shotgun/ML/pistol zone. I needed something that I could use a a few small wood lots I have permission to hunt. My lefty solution for that was a used Ithaca model 37 (1953 mfg) that was cut down to a smooth bore slug gun w/ a 18 1/2 in brrl. It came with a vintage Weaver K4 scope its a classy little 50yd deer getter. With the bottom eject I would consider it lefty friendly. I became enamored with the vintage model 37s with the old corn cob fore ends, and now have 3. Those and my O/Us work just fine off my left sholder.

My most recent lefty purchase is a Savage model 16 weather warrior in .308win. I mounted a new Redfield 3x9 on it. With the accu-trigger and accu-stock it actually out shoots my .300wsm. I wanted a no frills utility knock around rifle and it fits the bill just right.  I like the set up well enough to consider the same rifle in .223.

Im working on locating (and funding) a few more leftys that I think will set me up very nicely for some time.

an old school Remington BDL lefty in either .30-06 or .270

a Winchester model 70 classic sporter LH in .30-06 soon to be rebored to .35Whelen

Either a Winchester model 100 or 88 in .308 would be a couple of lefty friendly additions as well.

Remington model 700 .300WSM, Winchester M-1 Garand 43' .30-06, Inland M-1 Carbine 44' .30 carb, Savage 16LHSS .308Win, Ithaca 16ga, 12ga, 20ga, US&S 43' 1911-A1, S&W 5906, S&W J-frame, among others...

Offline yooperamoungtrolls

• "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt 1913
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »
Remington model 700 .300WSM, Winchester M-1 Garand 43' .30-06, Inland M-1 Carbine 44' .30 carb, Savage 16LHSS .308Win, Ithaca 16ga, 12ga, 20ga, US&S 43' 1911-A1, S&W 5906, S&W J-frame, among others...