Author Topic: southpaw shotguns  (Read 2818 times)

Offline toysoldier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
southpaw shotguns
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:59 AM »
What's available for lefties? Mossberg pumps at least have a safety we can use. I bought a truly ambidextrous pump shotgun at an auction---a Remington Model 10. It's a bottom-eject, like an Ithaca, but has a safety in the front of the trigger guard, like a Garand.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Re: southpaw shotguns
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
GOt an old 870 Wingmaster that's a lefty.  Old enough not to chamber 3" mags.  Never been a handicap and it's the only true lefty gun I own.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:47:19 AM »
There is the ithaca Model 37, The Browning BPS and the new Remington semi-auto bottom ejecting shotgun.   The new Remington is the most expensive .
coyote trapper1928

Offline panhandle

• Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:40:31 AM »
My solution was to convert the safety to left hand on my Rem 870, Ithica 37 and Browning Model 12.  I'm a retired tool maker and converted the pumps myself, but I'm sure most gunsmiths can do the same.  I also have 1 double and 1 o/u and these work great if they don't have cast-off stocks.  I had a beautiful Win 101 which I could never shoot well and finially realized it had a cast-off stock and it got sold.  If your a lefty and want one of these, check that cast before you lay down the dollars.  My 20 ga double is a SKB and supprisingly has a cast-on stock. 

Panhandlepr

Offline Gregory

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
I've still got my lefty 12 ga. 870 that I bought new when I was 19 (1971 if you must know). Before that I had an Ithaca 37 16 ga. with a lefty safety.   I recently purchased a Red Label 20 ga. which is lefty friendly.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline sparkysteve

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
I love my Browning BPS.  Top tang saftey, bottom feed and eject.  I'll never regret replacing my righty 870 with it.  Better fit and finish too.  Remington makes 870's for lefties too.
Ruger 10/22, Ruger GP100 .357, Marlin 336 .35 Rem, NEF Handi Rifle .223, Remington 7600 .30-06, Browning BPS 12 ga, Remington 870 12 ga, Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga.

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:04:13 AM »
Winchester made the Model 1400 semiauto in a mirror-image version for a few years. There is one on the local shop's used rack for $250. I am tempted, but it's a winter-project gun -- the aluminum receiver is worn bright, and the barrel is patina brown from use. Plus -- it's a gas auto -- an old gun with worn parts that will be hard to find. But these do show up now and then -- I saw another one in better shape at a local gun show last spring. Only one barrel length was ever offered -- 28" Winchoke. It would be a good pheasant gun, but I'm a grouse hunter, and need a quicker-handling shotgun. I've finally settled on an NEF Pardner single-shot (don't laugh!) with most of the choke polished out. Weighs a pound and a half less than the 870 I carried for years, no safety to reverse, and I can't shuck a pump fast enough to get a second shot at a grouse anyway!!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
I shoot an old Savage. To tell the truth I don't even know the modle of it. It is a pump but has the safty on the tang so I can use it without rolling the gun over.

Offline sambo3006

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
Remington makes (made?) a left handed 1187 Premier. I have one that is the Skeet Special. 26" barrel and Skeet Remchoke. Beautiful marbled walnut and shoots like a dream. It's great to shoot a semiauto and not have the shells shucking out right in your face.
There are usually a few on gunbroker.com . I have seen them new for $800 and I have seen used ones in excellent condition go for $400 or less. I got a steal on mine at $276. I guess nobody else was too interested in it when the online  auction ended.
My Mossberg 835 has a tang safety and I don't mind the shells shucking out in my face since I seldom need a second shot to put down my gobbler. As others have mentioned, Remington makes a lefty 870 Wingmaster and Express as well.

Offline John Spartan

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 09:56:09 PM »
I have 2 Browning BPS shotguns in 12 and 20 ga that work well with me. Have a 1978 Browning Citori in 12 ga. 26 inch barres choked IC and modified with neutral cast that fits me well and has brought down  many ducks, geese and grouse. Got a Browning Cynergy O/U in 20 ga with neutral cast that fits well and that I hope to use this fall.

As for Remington's new 105 Cti semi-auto, has anyone tried it?

As for listings of lefty offerings, I recall that the lefty forum at Rimfirecentral has one.
- John Spartan

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
The bps is the best choice.  I also have a Model 12 that I had a left handed safety put on.  I'd shoot a right handed 870 before I'd buy a mossberg.

Offline basdjs

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
3 favorites are Browning BPS, Ithaca 37, and SKB Model 500 O/U (imported by Ithaca).

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
I finally got myself a Benelli SBE in left hand a couple of years ago.  I grew up on right handed (mostly pump action) or break open shotguns, so the left handed safety has taken some getting used to.

I guess I finally decided that lifes to short to not have what you want and like (within reason of course).

I wish my little girl was a lefty so that when I leave my guns to here one day, she would actually use them.

Maybe I will get lucky and get a left handed son in law in 15-20 years and if he plays his cards right, perhaps he would get the privledge of using them!!
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline kjmoto

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
I own 5 Ithaca pumps form 12 to 20 gauge, shot and wore out a 12 gauge BPS, and now own 4 Benelli 12gauge left handed semi automatic guns. If you hunt waterfowl, the Benelli's are the best LH semi autos on the market IMHOP. I shoot 300-400 ducks per year in Northern California

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
NEF Pardner Turkey. Just about any break-action is lefty friendly.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
 I picked up a 12 ga. 28" Browning BPS at a pawn shop for $185. It only has the improved choke tube. It is a truly left-friendly design. However, I'm afraid my "bargain" gun may get more expensive, as I now have the option of purchasing more choke tubes (and a wrench), a short barrel for upland birds, a slug barrel, a case, etc., etc..

Offline ohiosam

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »
DeHaan has left hand doubles and O/Us. Cast for a lefty and the lever moves to the left. I'm not sure if the left barrel shoots first.

Offline Slamfire

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:53 PM »
I've a Savage Model 67 in lefty action. Chambered for 12 gauge 3" the stock is too thin to be shootin' turkey loads from a sitting position.
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 04:11:05 AM »
Browning BPS and Superposed's are the best.