Author Topic: Anybody using a Burris Ballistic Plex with their 7mm-08??  (Read 1005 times)

Offline YankeeBill

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody using a Burris Ballistic Plex with their 7mm-08??
« on: January 03, 2007, 01:19:58 PM »
Hi All,

Was wondering if the folks using this combo find that the B-Plex works as advertised.

I'm contemplating a 3x10x40 Signature Series B-Plex to put atop  Tikka T3 7/08 to use as a Whitetail rig around fields and such. Shot opportunities will be in the 150 - 350 yd. range, with 150 - 300 yds. being the most common.

I'm also considering the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and 4200 Elite in 3x9x40. Not overly concerned with the price differences in these scopes as they're all within budget, but more interested in how they perform under field conditions at these distances.

I did do a side by side comparison of the 4200 and the Conquest today at a Basspro shop, not the best lighting in there to make a definative decision on the optic quality but under the conditions, and to my eyes, I'd have to give a slight edge to Zeiss, and I do like the Z-plex reticle better than the mutli-plex on the 4200.

That aside, I do like the idea of the Burris B-Plex better for my intended use with this scope. Unfornunately, there wasn't a Sig. Series available to evaluate at Basspro.

I've read the Tech. info on B-Plex system on the Burris website, but would like some real world feedback on how the perform under actual field conditions.

I'll be using 140 gr. bullets for whitetails.

Appreciate any input you might have.

Many Thanks,

YB

If there are any guns in your house, one of 'em damn sure better be yours!!!!

Noone ever "needs" a handgun, until they need one very badly!!!!

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anybody using a Burris Ballistic Plex with their 7mm-08??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »
I have a Fullfield II 3-9x40 with the B-Plex reticle on a 7mm-08 and love it.  Zero at 100, dead on at 200 and 300 with 140grn ballistic tips.  Have not had a chance to try farther yet.

I also have 2 more of these scopes on 243's, and a 4.5-14x42 on a 7 Rem Mag.  All shoot very well with the B-Plex.  The 7 Mag is zeroed at 200 yards instead of 100

Offline YankeeBill

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »
Hi Smokey, and thanks for the input.

That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

We all know that manufacturers make certain claims about their products, and we often find they are not always quite as stated when we apply them in the field.

Glad to hear your's is performing as advertised.

Appreciate the info.

YB

Offline smokey262

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »
Here is a target picture from last fall.  7mm-08 with Federal Premium 140 grn Ballistic Silvertips.  The target was at 300 yards, and I was using the 300 yard stadia.  The wind was blowing about 5-10 MPH from R to L.  As mentioned before, the scope was zeroed for 100 yards.  Package of filthy habits included as a size reference only  :)

Offline YankeeBill

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 05:31:30 PM »
Wow,

That's some pretty impressive results there Smokey  :o

Once you zeroed the scope for that particular load (140 gr.) at 100 yds. using the main cross hairs for 0 @ 100 yds., did you have to do any additional tweaking/adjusting of the scope, or did the 200 & 300 yd. hashmarks put you right on zero at those distances?

Thanks again for the input.

YB

Offline smokey262

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
Nope.  No messing around.  Place the 300 yard hashmark on the bull and squeeze gently

Offline YankeeBill

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanks Smokey,

I was able to locate a Fullfield II in a local store today to take a look thru and fondle a bit.

I did like the looks of the B-Plex but was wondering how well the stadia will stand out in contrast to a deer's hide? They appeared to have rather fine lines to my eyes, but then again I'm used to using a heavy duplex reticle.

Oh yeah, what kinda rifle are you getting those 7/08 groups with?

Thanks,

YB

Offline smokey262

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
The lines are a good size for me.  If it is too dark to see them turn the power down a bit to lighten up the entire image and you will be fine.  Are you familiar with the phrase exit pupil size?

Burris also makes an illuminated ballistic plex reticle, but its quite a bit more money.  I believe its called the LRS or Lighted Reticle System.

The rifle is a Stevens 200 that has been placed in a Savage wooden stock.  I used JB Weld to bed the action and lug, and installed a Limb Saver recoil pad.  It's a sweet shooter for very little dough.