Author Topic: Removing case hardening?  (Read 795 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Removing case hardening?
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »
I've had my pardner for the past 10 years or so, and where I hold the shotgun around the reciever has the case hardening rubbed off.  I believe that from what everyone says, NEF doesn't use the traditional methods for heat treating.  I was just wondering what you fellas' ideas were about removing the case hardening with very fine steel wool, and then rebluing the reciever with something more durable or a deep colored cold blue.  I am thinking of getting a gunstock's inc. stock, and think a solid blue reciever would look better than case hardened with this stock....what say you?

~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Removing case hardening?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
That would work fine buddy, just rub it off with fine 4/0 steel wool and a little oil and carefully polish the metal to a high gloss before you drop it off to be blued, or ask the person who is going to blue it to do it. The preparation and polish is what really makes the difference in a nice blue job. Be careful not to round over any sharp edges and also be careful around lettering..go for it, I have always liked a nice blue reciever also....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:45:23 PM »
Andy,

If I were to attempt to do this myself, do you think that it could be done with the guts in the reciever, or would I have to take the pins, and everything else out in order to do a good job on it when rebluing?  Just some stuff going through my mind right now.  Thanks for the help. ;)

~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »
I also have an older SB-1 receiver that has wore case color on it and thought about doing about the same. But instead of blueing, just polishing up a shine metal finish and coat it. Still just an idea though :-\

-Aaron

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:26:13 PM »
If your going to have it blued in a hot tank everything needs to come out.  If your thinking about cold blueing it yourself be aware that the finish will not last very long.  Hot dip blueing in proper blueing salts will make for a much more durable and better looking finish.  Find someone in your area that does it and talk to them about how they want the prep work done.  It has been my experience that most people that do blueing are very particular about how the prep work is done.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »
Also, just so everyone knows, I understand the case hardening "colors" that H&R puts on thier guns is not really a fine quality case hardening, rather it is little more than a colorizing treatment, but it does sometimes look nice....<><.... :) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley