Author Topic: Redfield ?????  (Read 890 times)

Offline Justice Trimble

• Trade Count: (0)
Redfield ?????
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:33:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I just inherited a 1970's Weatherby Mark V Deluxe.  It has a Redfield 4x12x44 variable scope on it.  It looks very nice and has the heavy duplex cross hairs in it.  Does anyone out there know anything about this scope?  Is it a good scope?  I can't seem to find any info on it.  Will it hold up to shooting on the 300 Weatherby Magnum? 

Whatchathink?

Thanks,

JT

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Re: Redfield ?????
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »
If the scope is from the same era as the rifle it is most likely one of the original Redfield's made in Colorado.  They were top of the line scopes in their day and yes it should hold up to the 300.  I still have a couple of the original Redfield's that I have since the 70's, one on an '06 and the other on a .338WM, and they're still going strong.

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
If you are interested in selling the scope, I will take it.

I have several redfields.

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »
Hi Guys,

I just inherited a 1970's Weatherby Mark V Deluxe.  It has a Redfield 4x12x44 variable scope on it.  It looks very nice and has the heavy duplex cross hairs in it.  Does anyone out there know anything about this scope?  Is it a good scope?  I can't seem to find any info on it.  Will it hold up to shooting on the 300 Weatherby Magnum? 

Whatchathink?

Thanks,

JT

I think if I were you, I'd keep that scope right where it is on that rifle, and smile that you have a very excellent combination there, and use it. The Redfields of that era were(and still are) muy premier scopes. If you have any doubt, watch what they sell for used on ebay. Daughter has a Winchester Model 70, in 270, with one of the original 3X9 'accurange' rangefinders. 1st generation accurage scopes can be differentiated from second generation in that on the left side of the scope adjustment where it is marked 'Redfield 3X9', it also says '1 inch tube'.  Anyways, watched an identical scope sell on ebay the other day for 710 dollars. Then saw the same scope, but second generation sell for 520 dollars. On average, without accurange a 3X9 sells on ebay for between 200 and 250 dollars. I would venture a guess that kinda means they are as much in demand today, as they were in the days they were manufactured. Have several Redfields on rifles and slugguns, all older models from the era you mention, happy with all of them, and never had a problem with them, nor would I ever get rid of them for a different scope. Just my personal thought and opinions.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »
keep the scope, its a good one!!! I have an old 3x9 on a Ruger One 3006

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »
        My 3x9 Widefield new in 72 was on my 17. Rem. for alot or yrs, alot of chucks. It's been on my .308 for deer seasons. This yr. on my Sidekick ML amd took a deer, not bad for a 35 yr. old scope! I can sell it today for alot more than I paid for it, but won't! You can sell that gun but keep that scope! This is true. Was chuck hunting with a guy, walking across a RR bridge he slipped between the ties. His .243 Mod. 70 with Redfield scope fell of the bridge 12' down on the rocks. We retreived the rig and the scope had a big pie shaped dent in it. I thought the guy was going to cry. We had just started hunting so I told him to try it at 200 that he was sighted in at and low and behold it hit right on! He had the biggest smile on his face.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »
Keep the scope...
  I have about 15 scopes mounted on various rifles, one of which is a beautiful litytle 3/4 " Redfield scope built especially for .22s back in the 60s or 70s.
  Of all my scopes, this one seems to hold zero better and is most "dependable" even through the rigors of a rough hunt. 

My son has one just like it also...and neither of them is going anywhere...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
Re: Redfield ????? NO Question As To Their Fine Quality!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 12:29:54 AM »
Doesn't anyone have anything negative to say about Redfield scopes?  I surely don't.  I had two Redfield Widefields scopes from about 1972.  I sold one along with the rifle that it was mounted on, that was a Weatherby Mark V .300 Mag, and I miss the scope more than I miss the rifle.  I still have one Widefield that is mounted on my Browning BLR .308 and my only negative comment is that I only own the one Redfield scope at this time.  The scope has been through "hell and back," the worst of weather conditions, etc. and its performance has always been beyond reproach.  Those early 1970's scopes were and still are excellent products; my hats off to Redfield.  Regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.