Author Topic: Time for a Remington!!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
Time for a Remington!!
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:13:22 AM »
After going through Colt 51, 60, , 3rd dragoon and a Walker , I think I  am tired of screwing with the wedge >:( loose cylinder arbor >:(
picking pieces of cap fragments from the innards >:( and tighting ALL the screws about half way through a shooting secession >:(
Even though I  like the balance and the looks of the Colts better than the Remington, I got to think a Remington has to be the better gun!
No wedge to go bad! less chance of a cap fragment locking up the gun! not so many screws to work loose!no cylinder arbor to work loose!
 SO if'n any of you all know any bad points about the Remington , spill the beans! before I lay down the cash for a new Remington :o

Willy

Offline Full House

Re: Time for a Remington!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »

I favor Remington over Colt and especially the Pietta rather than Uberti (I own both and an orginal Remington NMA made in the 1860s).  The Pietta size and shape is more like the orginial and Pietta hand springs are not as prone to breakage as an Uberti.

Now for the bad, the Remington is very bad about fouling, fouling, fouling.  If you are going to shoot gunpowder (blk powder) it is especially prone.

I suggest buying some extra cylinders and a shot of " moose milk" on the cylinder pin between changing them out.

I have fired my orginial Remington with 25grs of gunpowder and it fouls (can not turn the cylinder) after six shots.

Full House

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:56:55 AM »
I have several Colts and a Pietta Remington. In the Remington, I use lubricated felt wads between ball and powder and lots of lube on the cylinder pin and innards, 30 gr Goex 3F. I have no problems with fouling until I have fired at least 6 or more cylinders through it. Lube, lube, lube helps avoid fouling, fouling, fouling. I find that a stiff lube such as Wonder Lube or Old Zip Patch Grease works best.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:29:26 AM »
Like Full House and Wynn, I think fouling of the cylinder pin is the worst point on the Remington. I was having to clean and relube the pin every couple of loadings, until I tried high temp kiln door grease. It stays put, and holds the fouling out for six to ten loadings, before the rotation starts getting sticky. The other bad point on the Rem is that they are more difficult to cap than Colt designs.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:49:50 PM »
thanks for the info ;)

Willy

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »
I spray the cylinder pin with moly than let it dry provides very good lubrication.
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline Full House

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »

I have used most of the lubes all of you have and I am wonder what factor the cylinder-gap has to do with foulding.  My cylinders vary, average is about 8 mils.

Full House

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »
I have never had my Remington repro revolver  lock up from fouling.  It is Italian, and 36 cal. but marked "Palmetto"  I have other guns made by Palmetto, but I don't know what happened to Palmetto LTD, I don't believe they are around anymore..  I've been pleased with all of them. 

I load powder, then ball and use a soft greasey lube called "Pistol Patch" from Blue & Gray Products.  It comes in a plastic tube.   I have reloaded and fied my cylinder over 10 times without cleaning the gun and no binding or lock ups.     

I have shot several raccoons, two stray cats and a skunk with mine.  I also used it to put a sheep down that had been hit by a car.   

I too like the balance and feel of the small colt repros better, but for ease of shooting, the Remington wins hands down.

Offline Full House

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:32:19 PM »

They,  www.palmettoarms.com/#  are still around.  I was on their web sit tonight.

You must click on every object to find your way around.
Full House