Author Topic: shot loads from 1" bore  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
shot loads from 1" bore
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »
I've been trying to get a decent pattern and penetration out of a 1.1" and 1.25" gonnes. Using steel BBs, I get really crappy patterns and the BBs often come straight back off the target (even plywood and particle board). The best pattern I got was using 70-80 grains Fg, wrapped in aluminum foil with another wad of foil packed overtop the charge, followed by a cardboard "X" which when shoved into the barrel forms a cup. I used about 1.5oz of steel BBs. Barely any BBs "stuck into the plywood and none penetrated. Most just left a slight dent. Even at 120 grains, only slightly more stuck, still no penetration through 5/8" plywood...they just spread out more and came back off the target a lot faster!

Seems like the blast is going in and about the shot instead of pushing the whole package out. Do any of ya'll shoot shot from 1+" bore? What do you use for a wadding or shot cup?

Would gluing several layers of cardboard together to make a cylindrical plug work? I used an old pill bottle, but that was more like a canister that was integral until it contacted the target, then blew apart....did a heck of a number on a ceramic Tigger at 25yards, though!

P.S. Steel BBs going 40 yards down and 40 yards back really sting!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: shot loads from 1" bore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Have you tried "lead shot" as opposed to BB's ?  Lead wont rebound back at you the way steel will.

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
I would rather not use lead here at the house since I do quite bit of shooting here and don't want a "carpet" of lead shot in our field. Although, for occasional hunting in our more remote areas, I could use lead. I have some 00 buck, but have yet to fire it.
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:53:52 PM »
I think a good sabot (or at least a stronger/thicker over-the-powder wad) is in order.  It will increase the mass being shot, of course; and you should maintain windage.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
I think the steel shot is losing too much energy to penetrate the wood (if you are firing at 40 yards range.)  Look what happened to shotshell effectiveness when steel shot was mandated in place of lead. They had to go to larger shot and it still was less effective on less tough targets than plywood.  And I am sure that smokeless shotshells impart more velocity to the shot than a blackpowder cannon will. 

If you are practicing for a varmint hunt, you should use a test target that more approximates the toughness of the varmint.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:04:38 PM »
On one point we agree, not enough engergy to penetrate (although to rebound 40 yards is impressive).

Short barrels won't give high velocities (as compared to a 32" bbl shotgun).

Easy enough to check - shoot same target at point blank range - perhaps a tilt on the plywood to deflect shot in a less dangerous direction.

In the case of adding a better over-the-powder wad or not, by switching to lead (or bismouth) you'd gain delivered energy.

We're waiting to see what the next move is.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
Cannister rounds used a wooden sabot with a metal plate between the sabot and shot.  Try a wood sabot to push the BBs out at a higher velocity.   I would use larger shot as it will give you better penetration.  Considering the bounce back, I hope you have been wearing safety glasses.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »
I'll take it out to a friend's place that has more room...and less neighbors..and try out a wide variety of loads. I'll probably start at 10 yards and back out in 5 yard increments, then repeat with different projectiles/shot and charges and repaint the target between each.

I always use safety glasses when messing around with these! The first time I got the bounceback, it took me a few shots to realize what it was. I thought the wadding was giving way and some of the shot was just rolling out of the barrel hitting the chair I was using as a rest. I moved up to about 20 yards and got hit with a half dozen BBs and it raised large red lumps! I never thought plywood would bounce them like that! I was shocked at the spray coming back at 40 yards. Sounded like rain in the cedar trees around us.

I'm all out of powder but am ordering 25 lbs the end of the month. That just means I get to spend more time building!:)
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline sprahs

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »
Boil used wine corks in a covered pot about 15 minutes and they swell to at least inch. Cut in half and grease with crisco. I use mine in a blunderbuss with a shorter top wad of the same stuff.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:49:50 AM »
Don;

I like to use cannister in my 1 7/8 cannon and found that the sabot is the way to go. I tried using a foil packet of shot right on top of the powder. Results were horrible. Then I tried sabots cut from scrap OSB/plywood. Much better performance.

Bill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
I'm all out of powder but am ordering 25 lbs the end of the month.

A CLEAR sign of addiction.  (Just in case you hadn't noticed.  ;D)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
A CLEAR sign of addiction.  (Just in case you hadn't noticed.  )

Hah! Yeah....my wife pointed that out when she overheard me compiling a 50 lb oder with some buddies. She did comment that "at least buying presents for you is getting easier the older you get", though. Between knifemaking and artillery...just about any scrap metal, coal, or blackpowder works for me. :D
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline reddog

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 02:02:14 PM »
Did you say particle board? I almost lost an eye shooting at particle board with a pellet gun, particle board is like rubber, the pellet bounced of the board and came right back at me, missing my eye by A 1/4" I saw it comming too. dont ever use particle board for A target even more so when shooting shot!!
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 03:27:01 PM »
Nor should iron targets be used at anywhere near close distances.  (OBVIOUSLY unless you're a teenager - don't ask.)

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline hammermill

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:10 AM »
one of my firse posts after excessive lurking
all kind of wood will spring back projectiles at you  maybe linotype sheets off a printing press would br a lot safer

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 07:22:31 AM »
Steel BB's are pretty light... they leave the bore faster, possibly before all the combustion energy is used up, and then they don't retain it very well either.

Led would probably be better.

Do-it mold company sells two molds that you might be interested in if you want to play with lead.

One has 11 x .31 cavities and 9 x .38 cavities
The other has 8 x .44 cavities and 7 x .50 cavities.

Right now they are retailing for $35 each

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 09:39:27 AM »
Did you say particle board? I almost lost an eye shooting at particle board with a pellet gun, particle board is like rubber, the pellet bounced of the board and came right back at me, missing my eye by A 1/4" I saw it comming too. dont ever use particle board for A target even more so when shooting shot!!

hah! I think we might be long lost twins.....
Back in my teen years I was staying at an Uncles hous up in Northern New Mexico. He raised quail, chukar and such and was having skunk problems. I took a crossman pellet rifle out and took a few. I cornered one later that day and it found an old tire to curl up in. For some reason, I thought maybe a few more pumps on the crossman would put a pellet through the tire. I fired from 15 feet away...and yes...yuo can see it coming, but can't move quick enough. I took it right under the left eye across the socket bone!

"Nor should iron targets be used at anywhere near close distances."

So golfballs at 1" boiler plate at 20 yards is right out? ;D
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
one of my firse posts after excessive lurking
all kind of wood will spring back projectiles at you  maybe linotype sheets off a printing press would br a lot safer

Hammermill -  WELCOME to the board.  Tell us what you shoot or what you're dreaming of building!

Don - 
Things bounce - superballs come up 7 floors when dropped from the 8th (onto concrete) but do so only once or twice before fracturing.  Bullets (and such) when hitting steel - from exactly 90degrees to the surface - come STRAIGHT back, otherwise they glance.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 05:07:17 AM »
Bullets (and such) when hitting steel - from exactly 90degrees to the surface - come STRAIGHT back, otherwise they glance.

Some times they go through. BTDT.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 08:47:15 AM »
WE have heard of the guy who managed to do himself bad by driving a golfball in a shower room! (I used to take tennis practice in a handball court, you gotta be quick!) ::)
I have often wondered what would happen if I fired a golfball into one of our little, all rock box canyons :o
--- but I'm a chicken--- and intend to be an OLDER one! ;D
Santa Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:04 AM »
How about some .50" steel-bearing grape shot in a granite quarry? :P I have a few degrees from Texas A&M...but I'd rather not be immortalized with an Aggie Joke...or a Darwin award for that matter! :D
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com