Author Topic: New Leupold VX-7 ?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
New Leupold VX-7 ?
« on: January 04, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »
So on the inside cover of the Feb issue of Hunting Magazine is an ad for leupold.  It says "It's okay, Germany.  You still make the best beer."  Then it says "The New Leupold VX-7.  Built to fuel your passion, not your ego."  Below is a picture of this new scope, and it sits atop of a Dakota Arms rifle (very expensive).

It's a very good looking scope, but I know nothing about the new VX-7.  Has anybody heard anything?  I would imagine that, if they are taking aim at the German makers (ie. Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, etc.), then this is going to be one pricey scope.

Zachary

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Re: New Leupold VX-7 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 04:44:34 PM »
Zachary,

I don't know much about them yet, but the VX-7 lines is taking over the LPS line.  The prices are on the pricey side of the table.  They range in price from $1300 to $1900.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:48 PM »
I seen the same Ad as well.
It's funny, "built....not for your ego".... with this same scope of a possibile price range of $1300++, and mounted on a Dokata with some rather excellent quality Walnut?????
So evidently no hunter is "passionate" unless you can throw down a good $7000 ++ hunting rig :-\
Who exactly are they advertising too here?
http://www.dakotaarms.com/currentinventory/inventory_results.php?modelId=9
Please.
I admire Leupolds quality and have always appreciated their CS and offerings.
 And I am sure it will be a nice scope........ but give me a break.

-Aaron

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:54:03 AM »
myarmor, why you getting so bent? Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovsk, IOR Valdada and Kahles all have had scopes in that price range and more. Why is Leupold so bad for wanting to jump in the the upper end scope market.

Guy's that can afford expensive guns, want expensive scopes. If I had the money I probably would do the same. 90% of the scopes I have are Leupold and I think they are great scopes, but I doubt I will buy the new upper end scopes, I did not buy any of the  Swarovsk or Kahles scopes. To rich for my blood, I do however have an IOR Voldada scope and it is a good scope.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »
myarmor, why you getting so bent? Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovsk, IOR Valdada and Kahles all have had scopes in that price range and more. Why is Leupold so bad for wanting to jump in the the upper end scope market.

Guy's that can afford expensive guns, want expensive scopes. If I had the money I probably would do the same. 90% of the scopes I have are Leupold and I think they are great scopes, but I doubt I will buy the new upper end scopes, I did not buy any of the  Swarovsk or Kahles scopes. To rich for my blood, I do however have an IOR Voldada scope and it is a good scope.

I guess I came off a little bent, now that I reread my post  :P I don't blame Leupold for aiming at those upper end at all. And agree completely, if I could afford Swarvo's and S&B's they would sit on top of every rifle I own.
I'm just not big on the way the Ad puts it. Thats all  :)
 No offense meant to the Leupold crowd

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »
I'm with you on the prices, I also would have the top brands on my guns. But I think Leupold make a fine scope.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 01:37:35 AM »
To rich for my blood right now.........but hey......If I were to find a winning lottery ticket then why not?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:02 AM »
The new VX-IIIs have about 98% light transmission, which  is just outstanding.  A typical 3.5x-10x-40mm will cost about $500.  Hard to imagine - Zeiss, Swarovski, or otherwise, - to spend an extra $1,000 to only get an  extra 1% - maybe 1.5% - light transmission.  Granted, light transmission isn't everything, but it says alot about the  quality of the optics themselves.  The upper-end German scopes have 30mm tubes, which really don't contribute much, if anything, to light transmission.

Let's just say that a $1,900 VX-7 is starting to make a VX-3 look pretty darn cheap!

Zachary