Author Topic: .22 Hornet Vs .223 Rem. ??  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
.22 Hornet Vs .223 Rem. ??
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »

I didn't want to hijack another thread so I figured I'd start fresh.

After the magazine article came out comparing the Handi to the Encore I was pretty impressed with "our" rifle. It's always good to hear someone else say you've done good in your choice. But as to caliber, I've always heard that the 22H is a nightmare to reload and that you get very short case life from it. the .223 on the other hand uses a much stouter case.

Any comments?

thanks,
         Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .22 Hornet Vs .223 Rem. ??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:57:34 AM »
Get a 223 and you can create gopher loads that replicate any thing from 22mag to 22 hornet. See James Calhoons webpage.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
I have both in handi rifles.Have had the hornet since 91,and the 223 for a few months.Like both,but am gorwing fonder of the 223 everyday.PA-joe has a good point.
The hornet can be more of a challenge at times.As far as case life,in the handi The case on mine does get a bulge where it expands into the gap where the extractor is.That made it so I only get about 4 firings out of them.In the 223 I am still using my first batch of cases,and thay are on the 6th firing,trimmed once and still look good.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:39:15 AM »
Good question Rustyinfla ...

There is a .22 Hornet for sale in my favorite gunshop. I thought about it for a second or two then realized I knew nothing about the .22 Hornet. I have 2 .223 Handi's and that purchase wouldn't have made too much sense caliber-wise. I have 2 .17 HMR's along with a Savage .223. It had a dandy stock on it though ... seemed much nicer than my .223 bb. I never even gave reloading the .22 Hornet any thought but nice to know it is more of a challenge than say the .223.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »
I went with the 223.
Good all around varmint load.
Don't know about the reloading part.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
If the .22 Hornet is a good deal get it!!! It's a great varmint, plinking, and even a survival round. Many deer have been taken with it in a pinch and through choice also. It is very economical to reload. I have both a .22 Hornet and a .223 and don't regret it, in fact I am happy I do....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:40 AM »
No performance wise yes the 223 can be made to do both jobs but there is a place for the hornet especially if you don't reload. While I have used bluedot loads like those on the calhoon site (but for 243) and they work there are two disadvantages 1. you need to be careful loading BD loads the pressure curve is steep and there is little difference between good and grenade. 2. 50 rounds of 223 takes up way more room in your pocket than 22 hornet.

The hornet fits into the same category as 17 hmr a gun with some punch that won't scare the neighbors. and besides 204 is way better than 223 anyways ;)
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »
Well first of all a handi holic shouldn't be asking such questions...you need both like DW06 and I! - ;D  I bought my .223 as a varmint gun because they tends to be a good shooter in a handi.  i bought the hornet for a plinker with some bite.   The .223 is scoped and the hornet is open sights.  As with all my NEF's I love them both but, I gotta say, if I had to get rid of one, I would sell the .223 and keep the hornet!!  The hornet is just plain fun to carry and shoot.  It is great to throw in my pickup and packs enough whallop to be useful.  As strange as it sounds, I actually enjoy loading for the hornet! ???  I think this is because you can load a $25.00 box of ammo for $6.00!!  I use rem 45g hp, lil'gun, w/ lee collet dies.  Plus the hornet is a rimmed "classic"!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
Well first of all a handi holic shouldn't be asking such questions...you need both like DW06 and I! - ;D 

There ya go hunterwinco,spoken like a true handiholic!MSP Ret is right,many deer have been taken with hornet.I know an older fellow that uses one every deer season,although not legal here,but he gets his deer.I shot one with hornet one time,right between the eyes.I had three at one time,one was a khornet but sold it to a guy that just had to have it.So now I'm down to two and will keep them.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 02:24:49 PM »
You just need one of each. Its a handiholic thing.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Swampman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
I watch the "I'm having problems" post pretty carefully.  I would say that the .223 is the most common caliber mentioned, & extraction seems to be the most common problem.  I like my Hornet.  Is it possible that hotrodding the Hornet causes early case failure?

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »

I know a 22H will take deer. it's used here in Fla. quite a bit in certain areas. I also know a guy in NC that raises soy beans. He has so much trouble with deer in his fields that he lung shoots them at night with a 22H so they won't die right away and will have time to walk out of the field before they drop. that way he doesn't damage the crops as much pulling them out.
   I was just thinking that at $25 a box for shells if the brass isn't going to last all that long I might be better to go with a .223 and load it down somewhat.

Rusty <><

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »
I watch the "I'm having problems" post pretty carefully.  I would say that the .223 is the most common caliber mentioned, & extraction seems to be the most common problem.  I like my Hornet.  Is it possible that hotrodding the Hornet causes early case failure?

Could be they sell more in 223?So with more out there,more chances of problems ?Don't know just throwing that out there.Maybe Quick knows,what is the best selling chambering in the Handi line?
Hotrodding a hornet sure will lead to case failure.As I stated,I get about 4 loadings out of mine due to brass flowing in gap where extractor meets chamber,which puts it above the web and hornet brass is thin.And thats with all loads,if using max loads,1-2 firings for mine so not worth it to me.

Swampman

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:27:22 AM »
I think rimless cartridges are just more prone to extraction issues.  The .225 Winchester would be perfect IMO.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 03:42:20 AM »
I personally don't fault anyone for getting a Hornet by any means. It's really proven to be a useful cartridge in it's long life. These little fellas do have thin brass, just like it's Big Brother the 30-30. But have been a staple if you will in NEF/H&R offerings. And seem, from most reports, to do rather well.
 I will pick up one one day, but as for now my 223's really do all that I need and cover a wide range of versitility. And I love also of the 204, 22-250, 220 Swift and 243. But thats getting way out of League.
 I guess if you can only have just one between the Hornet and 223, I'd go with the 223.
Varmint calibers are just fun.

-Aaron

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 03:58:12 AM »
Rusty,

In reply to factory ammo costs.  Apples to Apples they are close.  A quality box oh Hornady VMax cost about the same but you get 25 shells with the Hornet 20 with the .223 = 25% savings with the Hornet.

Cheap ammo for the Hornet - S&B (Sellier & Bellot......spelling?) can be had for $8.00 per box of 20.

I still feel the Hornet ammo is more costly than it should be. 

The calibers are not in the same league.  I like the Hornet for it's low noise,muzzle blasts and low recoil,sight picture of impact.  It's a walking varmint gun and fine for most calling situations distances of predators, it's not a bench gun.  A .223 can basically do everything from bench to field in regards to varmints but it's loud.  I hunt woodchucks around farms and prefer less muzzle blast.

Not to take away from "Handi's" but in .223 I would look hard at another value rifle that being the Stevens 200.  For a top shelf fun .223 I like the AR-15 but have not owned one yet.

Regards,
Bill 

Offline Capone

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 05:23:18 AM »
A 22hornet will be on of the first calibers I buy for mine, I used to have ruger and it is one of th guns I wish I would have kept. It has worked great in the 2 situations that I used it on deer one shot between the eyes and another on the white patch on the throat.

Swampman

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 06:23:13 AM »
Head shots on deer, and using a .22 anything on large animals is a questionabl practice IMO.  I wish more states would adopt the .24 caliber min. on big game.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 03:15:20 AM »
I have had my Hornet for years, and really like it. It can be a pain to handload.  The case necks are very thin, and if not kept trimmed perfectly square, seating a bullet in a not-square neck will give you a cocked off, out of square round that doesn't shoot well.  If everything is right, mine shoots under 1" at 100 yds.  It is a pain sometimes, but I'm still not getting rid of it.  I have gotten good case life out of mine, until I tried hotrodding it, which loosened up some primer pockets.  I still doubt you will ever equal a .223 for case life, the Hornet brass is just too flimsy.  I also agree, just buy both!

Swampman

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 03:45:42 AM »
Anyone ever use a .22 Hornet adapter in the .223?

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:03 AM »
Rusty,

Not to take away from "Handi's" but in .223 I would look hard at another value rifle that being the Stevens 200. 

Regards,
Bill 

Because.....

Swampman

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 04:35:54 AM »
Rimless cartridges work better in bolt actions, pumps, and automatics would be my guess???

Offline wcf3030

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 04:49:57 AM »
But are we just splitting hairs.
My own experince and others for accuracy is outstanding period, before you consider the low cost of the rifle.
So better would be .050 tighter group?

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 06:15:06 AM »
....225 Winchester would be perfect....

I rechambered an old H&R Topper Hornet to .225 Winchester in '71. It worked very well. How well the action stood up over time I have no idea, because I sold it in '72 to go overseas.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 07:38:33 AM »
I have two Hornets in Savage and Anschutz and they each are well under an inch at 100 yds. Each was a pain to reload until I hit the right combos, then really no big deal to reload. I have reloaded some cases 8 times and will continue until something indicates a problem. I'll post the results when I have more info. As a side note: Here in New Hampshire no one will admit it but the 22lr has most likely killed more deer than any other round. Wonder how I came to that conclusion.......?
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »

Oh yes Guy the .22 LR takes a lot of deer everywhere, no doubt about it. that little pill seems to be the perfect match between velocity and penetration. I wish someone made a "PENETRATOR" round instead of all these hypervelocity rounds. It would be nice to have a hard round that was meant for penetration when having a hog killin in the fall.

Rusty <><

Offline Capone

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
Head shots on deer, and using a .22 anything on large animals is a questionabl practice IMO.  I wish more states would adopt the .24 caliber min. on big game.

Within
 reason they are questionable, Im not going to try long shots on with one. Both of these were at 30yds or less.