Author Topic: scope choices  (Read 866 times)

Offline **oneshot**

• Trade Count: (0)
scope choices
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »
Looking for advise on my scope options.  I'm waiting for a reply from Jon and figured I'd ask everyone as well.

I need to replace the scope on a Rem 700LH  BDL in 308.  I will be using this for hunting deer/chucks and target shooting out to 200yds(local range max).  I've been searching here(reading and reading posts) and hearing a mixture of goods and bads on various scopes.  I've never had to purchase a scope as all my other rifles were hand-me-downs with scopes already attached.  One scope that stood out to me as great was a Simmons 3x9x40WA,  Bright/clear image even in low light and no problems with loosing zero despite all the hunting (bumping around) I did with it.  It was an older model and I'm not sure about the comparability (quality) to current production.  My choices so far are as follows:

Nikon Prostaff  3x9x40
Simmons Prohunter 3x9x40
Bushnell Legend (elite) 3x9x40

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm also open to other makes and models within my price range.  I won't be ordering until my taxes get back so I have time to browse around.

Thank you
Tom
Respect the animals we hunt.  Shoot with confidence.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: scope choices
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
I've had several Simmons scopes with no issues, but they aren't my first choice.  Out of the one you've listed, I'd go with the Bushnell, but I'm not sure which one you are looking at.  The Legend and the Elite are two different lines.  I'd buy the Elite 3200 myself, unless you found a super deal on the Legend.  Look at the Weaver V series too, in the under $200 range.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:48:24 PM »
 Right now you can get a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 in a gloss finish for $202. The 2-7 is about $207(riflescopes.com) Theopticzone has similiar prices. The word is that Nikon has a new product line coming out after the Shot Show, that's what they told me anyway. You won't fine a better scope for the money that will fit your needs.
NRA, Veteran

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »
1sourdough-- please enlighten me on where I can buy a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 matte finish for $202.00 ???
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:07:42 PM »
 I ordered 2 from SWFA  otherwise know as  riflescopes.com   theopticzone also has prices marked below the usually retail prices. Here is what I have for prices,  all Nikon Monarchs, new.  The 2-7 in luster(gloss)$197, 2-7 matt for 207, 3-9 matt $218, & I thought I saw the 3-9 gloss for $202. I'm not sure on the last because I didn't order that one. I doubt if these prices will be around long. 
NRA, Veteran

Offline **oneshot**

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 01:14:37 AM »
 :D   Spoke to Jon (via e-mail) and he set me on the right track within my budget.  I will be ordering a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40.  It's a little more than the Prostaff but Jon said it is a big step up from the prostaff.  I really appreciate Jon's service on this,  quick reply and good advice without me being a customer.   I look forward to my new scope, and future dealings with Jon @ TheOpticZone.

Thanks again Jon
Tom

Respect the animals we hunt.  Shoot with confidence.