Author Topic: Shed Hunting...  (Read 684 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Shed Hunting...
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:15:23 AM »
Anyone have any good tips on Antler shed hunting.  Sure wood be nice to have some antlers to rattle next year.  Never thought of hunting for them until I heard someone mention it at work.
So, any tips or suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Shed Hunting...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 03:24:10 AM »
Use enough gun!
I understand that a wounded shed can be very agressive! Much the same as when mushroom hunting   ;D
Having said that, I have never hunted either

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:30:05 AM »
Sounds like good advice!  Guess I may just HAVE to take that new Tamer 410 along.  Just in case I run into one, or the other.  LOL ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline FOX22250

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fair winds and good shooting.....
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:11:54 AM »
start looking durning the late winter and early spring i find all my sheads durn the mushroom season and the late coyote season........
Theirs nothing in Heaven to test my metal so just send me to hell to hunt the Devil...........
ENCORE 22-250 BSA 6x18 - 40
NEF 223 BUSHNELL 3x12 - 44

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 08:18:28 AM »
I guess it's a little early to start, but aahhh , what the heck, we don't have much snow and maybe I can bag a bunny or squirrel while I'm out there.  Besides, good excuse to get out and shoot the Tamer. ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »
If you have a lot of squirrel the antlers will be chewed up unless you find them shortly after they drop.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, they are much appreciated.  As I said before, some of this stuff is new to me.  Never thought of the squirrels eating them.  I know tomorrow my be too soon, just don't tell Mamma, I just really need to get out and shoot the Tamer. ;D ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 02:38:29 PM »

Cookieman Fresh air do you good. take 410 along might run into
 big bad snake, or other mean varment. Marv.

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »
Normally February and and March are the best months, but yes the squirrels will chew them up fast.  The best way to hunt sheds is to walk fence lines and places where deer have to jump.  When they hit the ground the shock will help them drop there.  i know one guy that found both sides in the same spot for three years and shot the same big a$$ deer twenty yards from there the next.  I dont know if there is any real trick to it or not.  I have always found the most of mine while farmin, along the edges of fields.  Hope this helps. 

Also the neighbor already found one shed in the ditch before december was over so they could possibly be dropping them early this year, or it was just a fluke.

Josh
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:23:29 AM »
What the others have said about fences, fields and ditches are good.  One thing I have found is that if you get a late light snow 1 to 2" just so the ground is covered, I have had good luck then they seem to stick out more to my eye then. I think it goes without saying to look where you know there is a good concentration of bucks.  Also ensure that it is legal to hunt sheds where you are hunting them.  I know some WMAs and other public lands prohibit it, better to be safe than sorry.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip, LEO.  I have seen no postings, but I will check it out.  Thanks

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline wendell

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
After rut deer yard up in large groups. Keep an eye on where they feed and beddown.Then look in these areas in the middle of the day.