Author Topic: Smith & Wesson scope?  (Read 439 times)

Offline IMshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Smith & Wesson scope?
« on: January 06, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »
I recently ran across a Smith & Wesson target scope.  It looked like a quality scope, but the price seemed rather high.  Having never heard of S&W scopes I could use your imput.  Are these really top of the line optics?  Did S&W make the scopes themselves or did they contract with another company to do the manufacturing?  I would like to hear from those who have first hand experience.  Thanks.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Smith & Wesson scope?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
I don't know but if it is anything like their pocket knives, I'd pass.  The are outsourcing their pocket knives to China.  (complete crapola)  I bet their scopes are the same thing.  Winchester did the same thing before they went belly up.  Cheap scope from China then paint a good name on it and see if it will sell.  It's kind of like hanging one of those cheap air fresheners on a terd and hoping everyone won't find out that it is just a terd.  The unfortunate thing is many people fall in the trap and after the new wears off, they realize it stinks.  I'd pass.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Smith & Wesson scope?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
I've looked at a couple of these at gun shows in the last couple of years.  They were pretty pricey when they came out, but I think you were paying for the S&W on the scope.  Optics weren't bad, but not good enough for the price.  They didn't last long before everyone had them deeply discounted.  If I'm not mistaken, they were fully multi-coated and boasted of a Rainguard type coating too.  They also had some kind gear driven power ring.  I think that they were made in Japan, but not really sure.  CDNN used to have them on sale to clear them out, but I don't know it they still do.

30-30man, I have to say that your analogies had me rolling on the floor, I was laughing so hard.