Author Topic: Speaking of Palmetto  (Read 698 times)

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Speaking of Palmetto
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
Does anyone have one of their 1855 Side Hammer (Root) revolvers ?  If so, What do you think of it ? (b) Where did you get it ? And (c), What did you pay for it ? Thanks for any info you have.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline long

Re: Speaking of Palmetto
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:00:29 AM »
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=7856

these are the reviews on the DGW site.  On the whole, it appears that the  roots come off better than other Palmetto guns but still, dissatisfaction runs high.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »
Hello long. Thanks for the tip on Dixie having them. I checked Dixie a week or so before Christmas, and they didn't have any then. I see what you mean, about the buyer reports. Not exactly the glowing accounts you would expect from a cap and ball revolver, for which they expect $362.50 . I think my jets have cooled on the Root, at least until more favorable reports come in, or, better yet, Uberti or Pietta introduces one.

Offline long

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
gunshop guy told me that original colt roots are pretty hard to take apart and put back together.  Palmetto has been in the business for decades and while uberti and then pietta improved their quality, palmetto has been consistent in turning out things of dubious quality.  You miigh look at the reviews of the Lincoln derringer kit, the 1855 pistol carbine and the root revolving rifle for examples.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:01:33 AM »
Thanks again.