Author Topic: H&R/NEF/Marlin lock  (Read 2478 times)

Offline longjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R/NEF/Marlin lock
« on: January 07, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
Any one ever use the safety lock from nef/marlin , as my wife stills has saftey feelins ,my buddy has 3 ush ,so he gave me one of the locks knowing that  it would make her feel better .however it wlill not fit in hard case with lock on . as its just broke open so the clamp will fit and the ejector is still closed . good tool if gun is just sitting in rack or closet. it is part #mfc-30

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R/NEF/Marlin lock
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »
Never used one, had about 25 of em at one time, tossed most of em, kept the pad locks!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:31:27 AM »
Not sure what they were thinling with this one , great safety idear but how do you store thr gun with it installed ? ? ?
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
I have seen 2 diffeeret styles come with the H&R's, a black steel blocky looking one and a yellow plastic (I think) one that looked as if it might have gone into the trigger guard. I have never tried or used any, like Stimpy I usually toss them out. Some give out small cable locks that guys use for thier boat and utility trailers as trailer hitch locks. I wish H&R would give those out, as least I could get some use from them. I do not know of one person that uses gun locks, at least I cannot ever remember seeing one installed on a gun. Makes the liberals feel better though so I guess they are good, except the added cost we have to pay when we buy a gun to pay for the useless locks....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline longjohn

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »
I am going to use the pad lock on the case

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
good thinking....<><.... ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »
Nice thing is that i now have a bunch of Master locks all keyed alike .  ;D
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 03:59:32 AM »
WOW, Stimpy's a mind reader, too. :o That was gonna be my question, "Are they keyed alike".  Great job Rich.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 04:06:10 AM »
They are all keyed alike!!! Wow what a benefit, I had never even thought to look....Thanks....<><.... :)

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:06:37 PM »
Nice thing is that i now have a bunch of Master locks all keyed alike .  ;D

I got a padlock with my Marlin and another one with my NEF Pardner.  They look exactly the same, but the keys are different.
They only make so many key combinations, so I guess you were lucky.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 02:57:19 AM »
What you are going to find is that all the Master Pad Locks from H&R/NEF are keyed alike and all the locks from Marlin are keyed alike , atleast that is the way mine are . Now the cable locks are a diffrent story .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 12:25:54 PM »
I got my Tamer out yesterday to see if there was a way to mount that steel yoke to the wall and use it to hang my Tamer, all locked and neat.  That black steel thing won't even install on the open breech.  There is not enough room between the open breech face of the receiver and the open ejector to slide the steel yoke into place.  I don't use them either.  Just tried it cause I had the idea. :P
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
Rich, what is this yoke thing you speak of? I know there is a black steel thing that comes with the locks but I have never tried to put one on a gun. You mean to say H&R gives them out and they don't even fit on the guns? You may be the first one to find that out, as well as one of the the first to try to put one on a gun!!! You are a trendsetter buddy!!!....<><.... :D

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 01:55:49 PM »
You know, that horshoe thingy, that the T shaped piece goes thru and the the lock goes thru the T shaped piece and holds it on the gun so you can't close it. ;D ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
I got my Tamer out yesterday to see if there was a way to mount that steel yoke to the wall and use it to hang my Tamer, all locked and neat.  That black steel thing won't even install on the open breech.  There is not enough room between the open breech face of the receiver and the open ejector to slide the steel yoke into place.  I don't use them either.  Just tried it cause I had the idea. :P
the trick is to just open the breech just enough to slide it on top of the ejector and while holding the lock piece down, open the breech a little more until there is room to slide the  cross piece through the holes.   If you open it all the way and then try to put it on, it won't work.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 02:37:42 AM »
Oh, No not really, whatever...I do have a question though about the horsehoe shaped thingy, if as you say "the T shaped piece goes thru and the the lock goes thru the T shaped piece and holds it on the gun so you can't close it.", if that is how it works and it fits on, then what good is the gun if you can't close it, because I understand it if you can't close it you can't use it????????????????????????....<><.... :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. next time I get one I might look at it before I throw it away to see if I can figure out how it is suposed to work....I still wish they would give us those small cable locks so I could use them on my trailers and my boat, but I am thinking if they are all keyed alike I could use them to chain my tree stands to the trees...

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
Here are some pics of my shotgun with the lock on it.  You can see the ejector in the 2nd photo.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 02:37:53 AM »
Thanks, I have never tried the locks they send with the guns and just assumed they went on over the trigger guard in some way. I never would have guessed you had to open the gun to put it on. A bit foolish if you want to store or transport it in a case. Doesn't it make them hard to store that way? So they are locked in the open position? That sounds imconvienent at best, and another reason NOT to use the locks. Can you lean them against a wall or put them on a rack with that "lock" on? How do you store them?....<><.... ???

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 04:02:21 AM »
Now I have to go out and buy a couple more  Handys. Having a half dozen locks all keyed the same is a good idea.Ther's a bunch of stuff I can use em for and I'll have plenty of spare keys.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline hrminer92

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »
Thanks, I have never tried the locks they send with the guns and just assumed they went on over the trigger guard in some way. I never would have guessed you had to open the gun to put it on. A bit foolish if you want to store or transport it in a case. Doesn't it make them hard to store that way? So they are locked in the open position? That sounds imconvienent at best, and another reason NOT to use the locks. Can you lean them against a wall or put them on a rack with that "lock" on? How do you store them?....<><.... ???
it's more awkward to store them  like that, but it's not  too bad.  The advantage this has over a trigger lock is that it makes the gun completely  inoperable until it  is removed.  With a trigger lock or a something  that would just wrap around the  action, someone could still load the gun, put it away, forget that it's loaded, or  figure out a way to make it fire.   The lock that came with my Marlin lever action is about as inconvenient: the lever sticks out at a 90degree angle from the action, which sucks if you're trying to put it in a gun sock.  I usually just put them in a safe w/o the lock, but will put the locks back on for transportation.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:00:17 AM »
I thought of just buying a multi-pack of trigger locks.  However, with plastic trigger guards, it would be no trouble to break the trigger guard and take off the lock and the gun would be fully operational.  They use trigger locks in the store and I have yet to find one that has not been locked and then had the hammer cocked, so you couldn't open the action to load it.  Maybe someone here at GB will come up with an idea that is in-expensive to solve this problem.  Until then, I will just keep mine locked in a cabinet or the closet.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 04:46:11 AM »
That is my solution Cookieman, I just recently finished a solid gun locker with no glass to securely keep my guns secure and under lock and key, safe from small curious fingers. Out of sight out of mind is good also....<><.... :)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »
I got to the point that i just built a room in the basement and now i just hang them on the walls like this .

The room stays locked unless i or mama is down there . old pic those are all H&Rs now .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 07:24:53 AM »
A whole room just for you and your Handi addiction!!!........ I LIKE IT!!!!....<><.... ;D ;D ;D