Author Topic: More Questions  (Read 637 times)

Offline mogunner06

• Trade Count: (0)
More Questions
« on: January 07, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »
I finally shot my SB2 in Rem 22.250. I was very pleased but I do have some questions. First I had cleaned the rifle well (I thought) but I had problems with it breaking open. I thought I had covered this by reading the FAQ's. When I got it home I cleaned it again but I do not know if I have solved the problem. Specifically what do I need to do? Do I need to remove the trigger assembly?  I am not the greatest troubleshooter so I feel I am missing something. This question should be posted in the reloading section.  Does anyone have a pet load for their .22.250 Handi.  Last I spend alot of time browsing around here, I am not the most knowledable person concerning rifles, Handi or otherwise (I have shot shotguns exclusively for years). Point I am making is I don't want to offend anyone by asking questions all the time but the people here have the answers. Thanks for your help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: More Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:54:48 PM »
What do you mean by "had problems breaking it open" ? If it takes a lot of effort to open an extractor equipped barrel, it means the brass is sticking in the chamber which is caused by too hot of load or contaminated ammo/chamber  or a rough chamber. All can normally be dealt with by making sure the chamber and ammo are clean and dry, and or polishing the chamber. If it's still hard to open with factory ammo, it may have a defective chamber and need H&R's help.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mogunner06

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »
Sorry, I meant it was opening when I shot it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
If you mean it popped open on it's own after each shot, that means most likely you're not closing it forcefully enough, read the second page of the owner's manual, don't be gentle!! :D It may take a while for the latch parts to mate well, when new they take more force in closing it to make the parts wear together cuz they're tight, after they're worn a bit, it will require less effort to close it for good lockup.  Read the "Pop open medicine" link in the FAQ too, you should be able to get a handle on that problem easy enough. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mogunner06

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »
That is what I meant. I will let you know if this will fix the problem.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »
What a coindidence Mogunner06. I have the same Handi as you and I just shot mine for the first time yesterday.  Mine opened upon firing about a half dozen times but it seemed to be less frequent as more rounds were put down the tube.  As far as an accurate load for the 22-250, I have a load I have used for a couple of other rifles in this caliber and it is consistantly accurate in all three.  The more rounds I put through the handi the better it shot and I had used a bore polish before ever firing it.  Anyway the best load I have found is a Winchester case loaded with Win standard large rifle primer with 35.6 grains of H4895 powder and a 50 grain Remington Power-Lokt bullet.  The last group I shot with the handi put three shots touching and a couple of flyers, one flyer 1/4" high and the other 1/4" low.  I believe with a few more rounds down the barrel this load will shot sub .5 MOA, but we'll see.  I was a little concerned when I first started shooting it as this is my first H&R of any kind.  Hope this is helpful to you and let me know hot it goes with your rifle.  If you find more info about the action coming open please share that also, that is unless it is on this forum.  Good Luck

Offline Luckyducker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 03:43:02 PM »
By the way, that load is leaving the muzzle at about 3900 ft/sec.  I guess I was busy typing when Quickdtoo was explaining about having to slam the action closed until it breaks in a little.

Offline mogunner06

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »
Luckyducker, I will try your load, I thought my rifle shot good groups for the first time out but yours sound better. I shot 35.7 grs of 4895,CCI primer, Rem. Case with a 53. grain Sierra HP bullet. I thought the Sierra HP might be affecting accuracy because I live near Sedalia MO. and I got these bullets at the factory (blemishes, seconds etc but CHEAP).  Had several flyers but I probably need to keep shooting the rifle. Do you feel polishing the barrel helped? I cleaned the barrel and since I did not have any JB's etc. I did try Flitz and then cleaned again. I have a buddy and other posts I have read on various forms claim if poishing the barrel helped every company and barrel maker would do it, so you are better off shooting cleaning shooting etc.. I don't have enough knowledge to judge one way or the other. Just what I have seen/heard from others. Good Luck with your rifle Keep me posted on what you find working/not working.

Offline Luckyducker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »
Mogunner06, I don't know how polishing the bore does for accuracy but I doubt if  it has much affect really.  What I did notice is that I can do a lot of shooting with a polished bore without a terrible amount of copper buildup, so in a sense it will keep it shooting accurately without cleaning between groups maybe.  All of this is purely subjective as there is no way for me to prove or disprove either way.  When I cleaned the handi yesterday I was in awe at how little copper was in the bore after firing fifty or sixty rounds without cleaning.  I shot my Tikka T3 300WSM twelve times at the long range steel targets and when I looked down the bore of it with a flashlight it had what looked like ribbons of copper down the barrel.  The 300 has never had the bore polish put through it when shot Saturday, but guess what, it has now.  I used K2 bore polish from EABCO (E. Arthur Brown Co.).  I have never used any bore polish before and have had to put many rounds down the barrels of various rifles before they would finally shoot the way I want, but I think this my be what I have needed all along.  Talk to you later.