Author Topic: Leapers Scopes...anyone got one?  (Read 631 times)

Offline SmokyMtnSmoke

• Trade Count: (0)
Leapers Scopes...anyone got one?
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
http://www.leapers.com/

What model and how do you like it's performance?

I just orderd a (SCP-6245AOMDLTS) 6-24x50 Full Size A.O. Range Estimating Mil-Dot Red/Green Illuminated Zero Locking/Resetting Scope

to put on a new accuired NEF in 25-06 for some varmint/target shooting as well to learn how to use the mil-dot system .

Any mil-dot users out there got any good advise?

I found this site that offers a program on CD to teach you how to use it without firing your gun. http://www.shooterready.com/

What ya got and what ya think? :)

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
Re: Leapers Scopes...anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
I just inherited a 22 with a leapers scope on it from my dad.  I will probably be using the scope as a tire chock or hammer as soon as I can get it off the rifle.  Its a POS, the eyepiece on the scope is actually loose.  This is the only leapers scope I have ever seen so I won't judge the whole line on it, but I won't be buying a new one any time soon. 

As for mil dot scopes I can offer what I know.  A mileridean (or MIL) is a unit of measure similar to degrees in a circle or on a compass.  1 MIL is equal to 1 meter at 1000 meters, there are 6400 MILs in a circle.  Artillery units use MILs to determine deflection of the target from the guns, its much more precise than degrees.  However artillery pieces often have to hit targets that are miles away.  I have been told that not all "MIL dot" scopes reflect actual MILs (the dots on the reticle might actually measure different than 1 meter at 1000meters).  Personally I don't see any practical use for a MIL dot scope, in hunting or target shooting.  The only time I have ever used them is in navigation and in the military directing artillery fire.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »
Yeah, I didn't want to tell you but you'll probably be disapointed.  You just can't buy a scope for $50 and expect the world.  Millitary dot scopes are very hard to make and I hope it is not too late to get your money back.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:23:25 AM »
One more thing, I don't want to be misunderstood.  You don't have to spend a fortune to find a good scope. Buy what you can afford but I think you'd be happier with a different brand. The Bushnell Banner has a millitary dot model that will fit your needs.  It is far superior to anything Leapers sells and probably cost the same.  I would hunt with any scope Bushnell sells even their $30  Sportsman scopes. 

Offline SmokyMtnSmoke

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »
Thx for the input.

I got mine and mounted it on my NEF Handi 25-06. Once I got it dialed in it never moved after about 20 rnds down the tube. I'll let you know how it tracks once I can get in some serious range time.

AS for the Handi, she seemed good on a hot barrel but the jury is still out on that.