Author Topic: How Do I .....??  (Read 811 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
How Do I .....??
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »
I have an old 16ga Rverside single shot.  There are no numbers on it.  How can I measure the chamber to determine if it is the old 2 1/2" chamber.  Thought Gander could just throw a gauge in it, but NOOOO.  He said he would have to make a cast and all that....$25.  I said "No Thanks".  Don't really want to spend that much on a gun I may not be able to get shells for.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: How Do I .....??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »
Other than casting with Cerrosafe, how bout greasing it good, then carefully using some expanding foam sealant to make a cast???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:27:12 PM »
How about posting the question in the gunsmithing section, there might be someone there with an easy soloution....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:32 PM »
Good ideas, both.  Never thought about the gunsmithing section.  I forget we have one. :o
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »
Hey, Tim, ya think silicone would do the same thing, its much easier to work with and peels off easier if ya get it somewhere ya don't want it.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:34:04 AM »
Cookieman,

You could take a small straight edge, slide it down the chamber wall until it meets the forcing cone. Make sure to keep it tight against the wall (use light to see), then mark it and measure. If you see light between the straight edge and chamber wall, you are too far in and into the forcing cone.

Remember a 16ga 2-3/4" shotshell isn't 2-3/4" until it is fired or open, a loaded 2-3/4" actually starts out 2-3/8". You will want to make sure there is enough chamber for the opened hull before the forcing cone starts.

The dangerous part is a 2-3/4" (actually 2-3/8" loaded) shell will fit in a 2-1/2" chamber, if it were to be fired 1/4" of the hull would be into the forcing cone. NOT GOOD!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 05:41:29 AM »
Yup, silicone would work too, probably be a better choice, it's easier to control. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
Am I correct to assume, a 16ga 2 1/2 will start out at 2 1/8 and open to 2 1/2 when fired?  Also, do all choked shotguns have a forcing cone on the chamber end of the choke or did they used fully tapered bore in some of the older guns?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »
Rich, you are correct that some old shotguns used a fully tapered barrel to obtain "choke"but even these as far as I know used a forcing cone at the forward end of the chamber. I am not sure however I just always thought they did....<><.... :)

Another option that should not cost you much more that what they were going to charge you the check iis to have a gunsmith ream out the chamber to accept 2 3/4" shells, while he is at it he might lengthen and polish the forceng cone but that might be a bit more money, it would not hurt to ask. If a gunsmith it set up with the 16 Gauge reamer it is just as simple as making a .357 Mag into a .357 Max....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
Now that is an excellent idea.  Then I will know EXACTLY what I have.  And if it can't be done safely, it may not cost me a dime.  I know just the place, too.  Thanks Andy. 

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
The problem with reaming them out to 2 3/4 is that alot of the old guns won't handle modern loads. There are tools to check shotgun chamber depths, you might want to check with some local gunsmiths or maybe at a local shotgun shooting range. If it is a 2 1/2 you might want to consider handloading. I've also been told that factory 2 1/2 are available in some areas. Good luck.

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
Your welcome buddy, Dave Weiss has some real vaild input also, it should all be taken into account...If we all put our heads together we usually come up with a brain!!! I just hope it is not one similar to the brain in the comedy/horror movie from Mr. A.B. Normal....<><.... ;D

while I am on the subject of A.B. Normal let me go off topic and ask, what about that Shaner? He sounds like a real nice guy and guys here have done deals with him and say he is top notch, but have you seen his picture on his avatar? Talk about A.B. Normal!!! That is enough to give the boogey man nightmares!!! The only thing that looks normal, looks great in fact, is his hair style, it looks just like mine!! All I can say is I hope his condition improves so he can make it to the PD shoot this year....<><.... :o

Just kidding buddy!!!!

Offline wendell

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
Go to a local smith and ask him to drop a go nogo gauge in the chamber.That will tell you in two seconds.Or go over to 16ga.com they will be able to tell you everything you need to know about this gun.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 11:04:47 PM »
Just try to drop a 3" shell in it.If it won't fit then it's 2-3/4" chambered.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 11:30:15 PM »
Stan, where would you find a 3" shell for a 16ga???
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I was wondering that, too, as I have never seen one.  Thanks also to wendell, for putting me onto 16ga.com.  I will be able to get some useful info, I am sure, about my 1947 AutoLoader Sportsman 16ga.  The gauge you spoke of is exactly what I figured Gander would do.  It us possible those youngsters behind the counter, there, just don't have those tools and were tryin' to hose me for more money.  I have options of other smithys to ask.  I will try that first then go from there.
Thanks all of you for all the info.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »
Just try to drop a 3" shell in it.If it won't fit then it's 2-3/4" chambered.

Stan,

No such thing for a 16ga, that I am aware of anyways. A 3" 20ga or 12ga is only 2-5/8"long loaded and crimped, so a 3" shell will fit into a 2-3/4" chamber, but would not be able to open up into just the chamber. A 12ga 3" shell is 3" long when opened (fired), a 20ga 3" shell is actually 2-7/8" when opened (fired).

For the above mentioned reasons, it is not either safe or accurate to use loaded shells as a GO / NO GO guage.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
All speculations have been put to rest.  I went to the gunsmith and he had a gauge for the 16ga.  It is chambered to fire a 2 3/4" shell.  He said I should not fire slugs or heavy shot, but any other normal field loads should work just fine.  A very knowledgable gunsmith and only minutes from my work.  Thanks to all who posted with opinions, knowledge and experience.  All input was considered and appreciated.  But, in the end, the EXPERT got the nod. :D

Yippee, I now have a 16ga to play with.  If I like it, I will have to add a 16ga Pard/Topper to my wish list. ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
Congratulations Rich, if you remember it took me at least a year of looking and watching but I finally got my 16 gauge H&R barrel a few months ago and it is great. I am sure you will fall in love with yours also. Mine supplied some delicious breaded and fried Partridge breasts this past fall in Maine, and the joy of doing it with my 16, priceless!!!!....<><.... ;D

there is just something right about being in the woods in the fall with a single barrelled shotgun in either .410 or a 16 gauge that feels right!!