Author Topic: The guys that buy factory ammo  (Read 975 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
The guys that buy factory ammo
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:26:32 PM »
When u guys find what ammo your rifle likes do u buy a bunch of rounds?? i have a h&r 223 ultra heavy barrel i bought some wolf ammo 55gr jhp about 3 years ago and the rifle shot like 1/4" to1/2" at a 100 yards ran out of that ammo and bought the same  brand ammo about 3 weeks ago now my rifle is shooting like 1" to 2" groups now whats the deal just a diffrant batch of ammo shooting diffrant ?? i know the rifle will shoot very tight groups so i know its know the gun just shoot it about 1 hour ago out in the back yard shot some ultramax 223 55gr soft nose at a 100yds and the bullet holes where touching when i bought these rounds at a gun show last year i only bought 2 boxes so it will not do me any good to sight the gun in to these rounds becasue i shoot a lott sence i can shoot in my yard
1 shot 1 kill

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: The guys that buy factory ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »
Your right if you find an ammo your rifle likes buy as much as possible of the same lot number. Same goes for reloading components as each lot# of primers and powders is somewhat different. That is just the way it is.

Some rifles will not work at all with Wolf ammo if it is steel cased. Consider your luck to be better than some if you used steel cased Wolf.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
Yes they are the steel case,i have alott of pmc55gr fmj that shoot well but i dont want to shoot varmits with this round i dont just shoot targets ,
1 shot 1 kill

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:26:11 PM »
I am in the same boat in a way. I have seven acres here at my place with a big hill on one side of the house covered in trees. It makes a great back stop for rounds.  I am not luck enough to be able to target shoot wolf out of my handi. it was fairly accurate for about 20 rounds.  After that it just is so filthy that it takes a whole lot of copper solvent and arm work to get rid of the fouling. That is unfortunate because I have a s load of it because it is a great plinking round for my AR. I did have great results with the ultramax remanufactured ammo, I put 7 rounds in a group that could be covered by a qaurter. I am running back to the store to buy all of the same lot number I can get my hands on.  I am looking around to find the best varmint round, if I can find one that is fairly cheap I will just start shooting that to avoid having to resight my scope to different rounds.

You may want to look at sights like ammoman.com he sells a lot of the wolf brass m193 and steel cartridges(fmj and jhp). Price is usually about $160 for a thousand rounds with free shipping.  If you check back often you can get pretty good sales on wolf, federal, and military rounds. My handi actually did pretty well with those as well.  The big thing that ammoman has over most bulk ammo sights is the free shipping, I don't know if you have ever put a brick of a thousand cartridges on a scale.
TJM

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
my gun is not likeing the wolf ammo any more. do u guys think and is there any way this could have came on by copper fouling the barrel how hard is that copper to get out of the barrel ?????
1 shot 1 kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:14:10 AM »
Use one of the foaming bore cleaners like Outers, Gunslick or WipeOut, follow the directions and leave it in overnight. The Outers is available at Walmart for $6.88.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 06:47:42 AM »
I kind of forgot to mention that after about 10 to 15 rounds of wolf I noticed accuracy went to hell.  I would listen to what Tim has to say.  Depending on how much you shot through your handi, will tell you how much fouling happened.  Just on a handful of rounds I spent some time with copper solvent and my brass brush to get mine cleaned out.  Seems to be fine now though.  Wolf in steel cases is dirtier than most .22 lr ammo.  I really don't see much use for it anymore other than mass shooting range/pliking ammo.
TJM

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 07:52:33 AM »
My brother in law was shooting Wolf ammo out of his .223 Handi HB and was not getting very good results.  Switched him to the Winchester Silver Tip ammo and brought his groups under 1" @ 100 yards.   

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:11 AM »
i know the rifle will shoot very tight groups so i know its know the gun just shoot it about 1 hour ago out in the back yard shot some ultramax 223 55gr soft nose at a 100yds and the bullet holes where touching when i bought these rounds at a gun show last year i only bought 2 boxes so it will not do me any good to sight the gun in to these rounds becasue i shoot a lott sence i can shoot in my yard

For cheap 223 ammo I have done well with the ultramax in 55 and 60gr soft nose.  They both shoot MOA or better from my fluted 24"   I have seen the 50packs for as cheap as $12.

I won't shoot wolf ammo in my handi any more.  I had a surplus of it from my old mini14, but it was worn out and fed those shells with no problems.  The first wolf shell I ever fired in my handi needed a vicegrip pliers for removal.  Im lucky the extractor wasn't damaged.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:43:51 AM »
Mook are u talking about unbernt powder or what as u say its dirty ammo i can shoot the wolf ammo i have 10, 15 time nothing in the barrel , my rifle throws the empty shells out like 5 feet never had trouble ejecting out the empty steel cases i have no problem with the wolf ammo other than now it will not shoot as well as the first batch of ammo i had .i gess i will have to shop around and find what ammo it likes all over again >:( i have some PMC fmj it shoots well but i hunt with this rifle so i dont want to shoot them
1 shot 1 kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »
That's wise, PMC went out of business last summer, if it shoots good, better make it last until you find a replacement! ;)

Tim

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/10/26/news/business/news674.txt
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »
My rifle doesn't throw any of the rounds I have used out of it like others I have seen.  It just pulls any round about 1/4 in, out of the barrel.  The wolf ammo is just dirty lots of unburnt powder but you can also see the copper on the patches after running the brush through it.  I had to make a whole lot of passes with copper cutter and then a few more with some clp.  Finally got just the clp coming out clean after an hour plus of work.  When I shot it you could just see all the unburnt powder built up back around the extractor and around where the pin comes through.  It just isn't a good accuracy round, and they use a polymer to coat the steel casings which may be a big part of the over all dirtyness. 

I have a pre ban Colt AR15 A2 that is all original upper and lower, only change is a newer grip and the extended flash suppressor (It also came with a III gen nighvisioin scope that will mount to the scope rail on my handi :o I just have to make sure the hammer will clear if I mount it)  I can shoot the wolf out of it, but is still not very accurate and really dirty.  I usually break it down to clean every few hundred rounds or so and especially if I am using wolf.  It loads well in the AR and has never jammed which makes it lots of fun to just shoot hundreds of rounds at whatever is in the yard, but that is about all wolf is good  for.
TJM