Author Topic: new country music  (Read 1542 times)

Offline joshco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
new country music
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:02:55 PM »
I am just curious on what peoples opinions on new country music are.  What i guess i am really asking is why do songs like tim mcgraws new pop/country music even qualify as country music when there are songs such as jason aldeans amarillo sky.  My question is hard to pose here.  I guess what i am asking is what do these new chart topping songs even have to do with country or rural living and things that are important to people like that (and by that i mean by agricultural or families like mine that are ag based)??? am i out of line saying that new country music isnt really country??? some input would be greatly appreciated.

josh
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: new country music
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:25:11 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't even get into a discussion like this, because to me, Brenda Lee is still in the "Top 40" each week. 
As a very casual and uneducated enjoyer of all kinds of music, I think I know what your asking, but I am certainly not very qualified to answer.
I have always observed a lot of crossover between what we (I am 60) referred to as pop or rock 'n roll, and "country".  Icons of country music - Cash, Cline, Perkins, Nelson, Wynette, Jennings, Haggard,Dean,Reeves,Mandrell, Williams,  and many, many others, all had success in a very broadly popular market, that has included R & B, Soul, Pop, R & R, and so on.  Under the broad umbrella of "country music" there is also the more "rural" flavor, bluegrass, mountain, western, etc.  There is lots of crossover.
Well, I have no clue if I even know what I am talikng about, but I really enjoy all different types of music.  Like guns and pickup trucks, I like all different brands too.
The one thing I do know for sure - I live out in the country, about a quarter mile off of the highway.  Sometimes I can actually hear this ba-ba-ba-boom, ba-ba-ba-boom, echoing through the air out of some little car that has a 4" tail pipe and sounds like a lawn mower on steroids.  Now that, is noise pollution - not music. ;D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:39:36 AM »
As a true lover of good ole Country Western music, I know what josh is saying.  Too much of the new stuff is drifting and I guess that's just the way things go.  Thankfully, there are still some purists out there.  The truth is that there has been some crossover for many, many years--even decades.  The Bellamy Brothers are a good example.  They sure as heck weren't straight out Country, but I did like their stuff.

What's great about nowadays is that we can make our own CD's.  And the sound quality of digital music combined with the sound systems that are available is just awesome.  I added a simple little sound system to this computer that is so much better than anything that was available back then... it's just unbelieveable.
Swingem

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:44:29 AM »
In my opinion it's about money.  They are trying to appeal to a broader audience to sell more songs and CD's.  I don't listen to country stations much anymore for the same reason.  A lot of it doesn't really qualify as country anymore.  As Magooch stated, it is a good thing we can burn music on to our own discs and MP3 players.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »
From the time I was a little bitty boy, my ole grandpappy told me there was only tweo kinds of music, "country and all that other crap."  With the new "stars" putting out the stuff they do, I can only say, "thank god for tapes and CDs.

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »
Just my own opinion here, if I tune to the "country stations" around here, I find what I call Adult Oriented Pop.

If someone were to ask me what country music I listen to, it would be Hank Williams III. Yeah, I know it's just his stage name and his real name is Sheldon.

Gritty and aimed for a younger audience but has an old feel/sound to it.

Get him and Allison Kraus together and I'll buy that too.

HWIII might be a bit "raw" for some folks but he puts out a good tune.

As I stated above, just my opinion.

Nixter

Offline single action

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »
I gave up on country music back when the movie urban cowboy came out. I got real tired of city boys who would crap thier pants if they ever saw a real cow strutting around getting drunk and riding mechanical bulls. that and there was a country singer from toronto canada that became popular about that time. How would a person from toronto, ( or nashville, memphis, l.a. ect.) know about "country" ?

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
With the exception of a few artists New Country stinks. Talk about CLONES all these new cowboy hat acts sound the same. At least Toby Keith and Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt ect sound country and are true to country's Roots. Not that long ago if you heard some one singing on the radio like Cash or Willie and Waylon or Who ever  it did not matter you knew who it was because their voices were individualized. Now days they have a bunch of acts who all sound the same vocally and musically. Furthermore if your playing Country Rock then call it that it is not really Country though it may have its roots in country and adding RAP to country really bugs the crap out of me. Been playing guitar and singing in country and rock bands since the late 60's but when I did rock it sounded like rock and when I did country it sounded country. Now days it is geared to a younger crowd and they add rap and rock to it to make it appealing to the younger crowd but it sure is not pure country. Thankfully like I said their are some artists that still sound country and the VERY SAD PART OF THE DEAL IS: those older artist who would still like to get a record deal cannot as they are considered outdated.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »
I gave up on country music back when the movie urban cowboy came out. I got real tired of city boys who would crap thier pants if they ever saw a real cow strutting around getting drunk and riding mechanical bulls. that and there was a country singer from toronto canada that became popular about that time. How would a person from toronto, ( or nashville, memphis, l.a. ect.) know about "country" ?

Lets be fair to our Northern Neighbors they love County music and a lot of them still like the traditional county not the crap that Nashville is putting out today. There are also a lot of Canadian bands who play very good country music.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
Geez.  And I thought that I was the only one.  New Country (if you can call it that) is a totally different kind of music and is aimed at a different generation.  While I'm part of that generation, agewise, I'm not really a part of it in my heart.  I like the old stuff.  Willie, Waylon, Johnny, Coe, the list goes on.  The new stuff is largely aimed at a pop audience.  It is watered down and has lost it's soul.

As a reformed musician, I like all forms of music (Rap isn't really music).  From Kid Rock, Willie Nelson, Marilyn Manson, The Ramones, Lynyrd Skynyrd.  You name it, I'll jam to it.  With that said, I find that most of the new music being released in all genres is weak.

Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
I sure agree rap is not music!  ;D ;D ;D  Rap rymes with Crap. Coincidence I think not.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »
I miss Mother Maybelle's Carter Family, Roy Acuff, Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Cowboy Copass, Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, George Morgan, Marty Robins, Tex Ritter, Little Jimmy Dickens, Ferlan Husky (and his charictor Simon Crumb), Cousin Jody and Brother Oswald, String Bean, Bill Monroe and The Blue Grass Boys, (Young) June Carter, Johnny Case, Doodle Owens, Bobby Lord, and Doyle Marsh, Billy Walker, Red Fowley, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Skeeter Davis, Tammy Wynette(hated that woman but liked her music)(And yes I and half the town saw George Jones riding the lawn tractor down the road to the liquor store after she poured out all his booze).   But most of all my good and dear friend, and neighbor, Roy Orbison.    With the exception of Jimmy Dickins they are all dead, and it seems that after they die their music slowly fades away.  Oh, we remember them, but as we age the younger ones never heard them or heard very little of them.  They like the new artist, and that is the group being targeted.  Country music has changed.

I grew up in Hendersonville, Tennessee.   My folks started dragging me off to the Opry when I was a toddler.  They knew many of the entertainers.  I went to school with many of their kids.  I saw them at the grocery store where I worked at my first job.  Red Fowley used to hang out at the drug store next door, and today he would be charged with Sexual Harressment the way he talked to some of the women that came in, back then they just called him a Dirty Old Man.   My Dad played mandoline for a short time with Bill Monroe.  I worked as a studio musion for monument records in Nashville, my senior year in high school.  And Roy Orbison had the coolest car, a Mercedes Benz Excaliber.  He used to take me riding in it, never let me drive it, but I sure liked cruising the Shone's Drive Thru with him in it.  Roy used to take me with him a lot, to get me away from my abusive mother.  Roy taught me more about life and people than my parents ever did.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 11:39:53 PM »
BOB WILLS is still the king.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 01:38:31 AM »
There are a couple of "classic" country stations around these parts.......my dial stays on one or the other.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »
Well George is still alive or did you not intend to include him in your list?  Sounds like you had a interesting time growing up Sourdough.  I agree it is sad all them entertainers are gone and it was a supprise to hear that Billy Walker was dead I missed that one never saw it on the news. He was a great entertainer along with the others you mentioned.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »
Yea, I started to put George Jones on there, but decided I had enough names.  I do remember the first time I heard him sing Mountain Dew.  I can still sing every word.  Boy that was a long time ago. 

As for Billy Walker, I can't for the life of me remember the circumstances of his death.  I just remember how devestated the folks were when it happened.  Seems like he was on the road somewhere, but I can't say that for sure.  I'll ask Dad the next time I talk to him.

Several years back while visiting my folks, my wife said she would like to go to the Grand Old Opry some time.  One of my brothers called Billy Walker, Billy got us a back stage pass.  I told my wife to get dressed, we were going out on the town.  She had just bought a new western equestrion suite, so she got dressed up for a night of country western clubs.  I drove to the Opry house, which at that time was at Opry Land, not in the old Ryman like it is now.  I took her to the backstage entrance, and the guard gave us instructions to get to our seats.  My wife was totally surprised.  We were seated behind the band, on the back of the stage.  That night Porter Waggoner, Dale Reeves, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, Box Car Willy, and many younger people that I did not know were there.  A small petite little blond came up and sat beside my wife.  Shortly Dolly Partton came out and walked by us going to the front of the stage to perform.  The little lady and my wife had a discussion about Dolly's hair, outfit, and boobs.  Then they started talking about people in the audience.  Pointing out dresses, hairdos, groups, all kinds of differant things.  Laughing at some, serious about others.  Lots of just woman talk.  Then Dale Reeves introduced Miss Ginie Shepard, the little blond got up ran to the front of the stage and started singing.  Totally blew my wifes mind, she had been sitting there talking to Ginie Sheppard and did not know it.  She says that was one of the most exciting nights of her life.

My mother had my youngest brother put in the reform school when he was 15 or 16.  While he was there Hank Snow came to the reform school to talk to the kids there.  He saw Rob and took a liking to him.  After Rob got out, Hank Snow sort of took him under his wing and turned him around.  Hank took Rob on many road trips, teaching Rob responsiability, and how to get along with a wide diverce group of people.  He also taught Rob how to deal with the bad side of life out there also, the drugs and booze.  The things many younger people could not handle.  I feel that was the most influential period of my little brothers life.  Rob left Tennessee to get away from our mothers influnce.  Rob is the most susccessful of the five boys.  Rob is a high level manager for one of the big government contractors in the aerospace industry down in Texas.  Married, two kids now in college.  A very happy life, and he is the only one of my brothers that comes up here to visit and brings his family.  Even his In-Laws.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline k3yston3

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
If someone were to ask me what country music I listen to, it would be Hank Williams III. Yeah, I know it's just his stage name and his real name is Sheldon.

I believe that his middle name is Hank, just like junior or Randall Hank Williams to be correct.  III puts on an excellent live show and even gives fair warning as to when to leave if you are only there for the country set.  I make sure I get out and support him whenever he comes around here on tour.  I even got a chance to have a few drinks with him in the Zephyer Club in SLC, UT. 

Give http://www.bootliquor.com/ a listen while you are on line for some pretty good "new" country

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
I grew up listening to classic country on my Dads beautiful old juke box or nickelodeon as he called it, it played 78 rpm records. It was located in the den/pool room of my parents house. It had most of the selections that Sourdough has mentioned. Fond memories for me since I was just a kid. I did see Bill Monroe at the Mole Lake Bluegrass Festival years ago. I will never forget it. I love almost all forms of music with exception. The exceptions are "new country" and "rap". New country is boring and rap is annoying. From the hardest rock to easy listening, classical, folk, gospel and every thing in between I enjoy it all. The last live performance I have seen was Elvis Costello and the Attractions last summer in St Paul MN. It was a great show, an extremely talented musician, the wife and I loved it.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 04:32:23 PM »
Who's Bigger than George Strait? There are alot of new country singers that still have that old timey sound. I think most of the pop/country singers are pretty short lived. While the more classic sounding ones seem to hang around awhile. Toby Kieth stunk pretty much till he went his own way. Did you ever see any of the old videos of Toby? He looked like a total kitty.(substituded that last word) It seems sometimes the record companies are pushing some of these metrosexual country performers.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »
Heck yall, I'm approachin my 20th year on this earth in April, and I have no clue what the crap the country music scene has gotten itself into. For years upon years now I've seen a transition. I cant stand to even watch the CMA's because of it. As Travis Tritt's song says it....Country aint country no more. Simple as that in my opinion. I'm sorry, but I was bred, born, and raised country, its all I know, and it runs in my veins. I cant stand to hear some of these people claim that they actually sing country music. I mean I aint disputing the fact that they may or may not sound good, but its just not "country". Country is something that you either have or dont, you have to live the life to know what its all about, and in my opinion to be able to sing it also. I sing and play country music myself, been playing guitar going on 6 years now, and singing since I was a youngin. Real country isnt something you buy off a shelf, it isnt generic, it isnt something that somebody just does. Real country is about a more simple way of life, down home; its something that ya got deep down inside, but I reckon it cant really be explained, just felt. I guess a lot of these people either arent true country people or they have just fell out of singing actual country music because of the "cha-ching" factor set in and they sold out. One way or the other, I know what real country is and should be.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »
I am finding this topic very interesting. I was a musician, guess I still am though I don't play out anymore, just at home. I played bass guitar in a few metal bands. I know it's not country but still I listen to all different types of music from metal to rap to classical. I know it sounds kind of wierd but I can listen to Chet Atkins and then put in a Slipknot cd.

The part I find interesting is that a lot of posts put down different styles of music just because that person doesn't like it. It takes a certain level of ability to perform any type of music. While you may not think rap is actually music, there is a certain feel that makes the words flow with the beats, and this is not something everyone can do well even though it sounds easy.

As far as the new country not sounding like the old country, that's the way music evolves. Someone will hear a song or a guitar part and think that's pretty cool and change it around and make it part of their own style. That's how we got Black Sabbath out of Elvis Presley. Different people putting their own spin on musical styles until it changes into another form all together.

Kind of off topic I guess but I wanted to throw my two cents in.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
I totally understand and agree with what you are saying, its just I believe that today, the Country Music society, if you will, is labeling music as being country, when it actually sounds more like pop or rock. I dont really think some of today's more prominent artists in the lime light are true country artists, and I also dont think they are true to the genre as a whole.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 05:27:09 PM »
Sourdough, you left off the cream of the crop, how about Lefty Frizzel, Webb Peirce, Johnny Horton, Stonewall Jackson, Jim Reeves, Carl Smith, Faron Young, Hank Thompson (great guy, I spent a little time at a deer camp with him), Tommy Overstreet, Ray Price, Cal Young, Jack Green, Sole Brother #1 Charlie Pride, Ray Price, Sonny James, Merle Haggard, Dotty West, Wanda Jackson , Kitty Wells and don't forget Ernest Tubb.  

We have a "Classic Country" station here that plays all the old stuff, but anytine I get on the road my pick-up is loaded with CDs so I don't have to listen to the modern stuff, and I can survive if I can pick up a good bluegrass station.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »
Lefty Frazzel, gosh I was trying to think of his name.  My old brain went blank on his name.  I could see him down on the boat dock behind his house but could not think of his name for anything.  One of my highschool buddies, Clarence Theador Dooley III, lived next door to Lefty.  His kids were younger than we were but they were nice and we let them hang out with us most of the time.  Lefty was quite and kept to him self a lot.  He always came when neighbors had a party and invited him but he never stayed long.

Wanda Jackson, is not a name I am or ever have been familer with.   Charlie Pride, I had never heard of till after I left Nashville. in 68.  I got to California and started running with some southern boys from Georgia, and Alabama.  Those boys could not belive that I had never heard of Charlie Pride.  They introduced me to his music fast, but he was not a big name being played in Nashville or on the local TV stations.  In the 50s and 60s at 5 PM every weekday, local broadcasting was taken over with country shows.  All three of the local TV stations in Nashville had those shows.  Bobby Lord, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Jimmy Dean,in the afternoons.  Then in the mornings we had The Ralph Emory Show, Country Junction, and another one I can't remember the name of, but it was MCd by Boyce Hawkins.  These shows had guest stars everyday, some old and some new trying to break into the business.  But Charlie Pride had never been on any of those shows, that I knew of.  I remember Hank Williams Jr. coming out wearing a suite, and singing like his Daddy.  Little Miss Brenda Lee, and another one named Pam Dickinson.  Pam was on the Bobby Loard show a lot.  I went to school with Pam's older brother Billy.  My mom used to make me and my brothers go down and sit in the audence at the Bobby Lord Show, just so she could point us out to people that she knew there. 

Oh yes, June Carter used to work with Faron Young, or Ferlon Huskey, can't remember which, before she met Johnny Cash.  Gosh that was back when I was a kid, hard to remember things sometimes.  When I left Nashville I tried to forget about country music.  Kept running into people that liked it, seems all my friends were country fans.  I was into Rock and Roll, then Disco.  Then after Disco died I got into country again.  Now I alternate between Oldies and Country stations.  But what Alaskian don't listen to Johnny Horton?
What Is A Veteran?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:36 AM »
 I had the good fortune to be stationed at Barksdale AFB, (Shreveport,La.) as my first assignment in the Air Force.  That was back in 1956, the Louisiana Hayride was going strong at that time, this was the starting place for many of the top artist.  I had a part time job at Kelley's Truck Stop, back when it was located on old Highway 80 in Bossier City, it was one of the few decent places (?) in the area that was open after midnight, so a lot of the stars would come out there after the Hayride was over for breakfast.  I seen a lot of them pass thru the restaurant, matter of fact, it was rumored that Johnny Horton wrote several of his songs on a napkin while have breakfast at Kelley's.  The Hayride no longer exist, it closed in the early sixties, I don't know why, there was certainly a good following of country music in the area, and the audience was always full.  

Check out the following site.  A lot of the GOOD artist are missing, and there are many that I have never heard of, but still some good ones and the music is not bad.

http://www.geocities.com/pianoladynancy_wavs178/

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
If Willie isn't involved or hasn't sung with them, then I'm not interested.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne