Author Topic: Ah finally hitting the woods for small game!  (Read 442 times)

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ah finally hitting the woods for small game!
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Blew the dust off my 28 ga NEF and am heading for the woods in the morning.  Squirrel hunt on the way out and rabbit hunt on the way back in.  Best part is my 7 year old is going along with us, he's very excited.  Hopefully our vests will be overflowing. ;D

Any of you 28 ga shooters have a favorite small game load?  I have about 5 different loads I use for different things.  My favorites are an 11/16 oz handload or Winchester Super X HB with 6 shot.  The Winchester load is 1 oz at 1200 fps.  I picked up a box of Remington Express Long Range #6s today while I was getting my son a new hunting jacket.  This load is 3/4 oz at 1300 fps, anybody have any experience with this load?

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Ah finally hitting the woods for small game!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
Wishing you and the young man a safe and successful hunt!  Let us know how you guys do.   :)

Sorry, but I cannot offer any info about the 28 ga.  I don't have one ... yet!

Good Luck!

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »
Well, we're back!  1 tree rat, and one bunny in the pouch.  My son did a great job keeping up and stomping brush piles.  I think he enjoyed it more than deer hunting, lots more to do and you don't have to be so quiet. ;D

The Remington shells worked out great.  I'm going to take them to the range and pattern them against a couple others before ordering a case of them.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:06:38 AM »
  I think he enjoyed it more than deer hunting, lots more to do and you don't have to be so quiet. ;D

I would agree.  It tough for the little guys to sit still.  Sounds like you two had a great time.  :D