Author Topic: Silver or black for a stainless rifle?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Silver or black for a stainless rifle?
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »
I'm in the market for a scope to top my new stainless Howa.  Almost every scope I find that is appropriate can be found in either gloss or matte black.  Why don't they make many of the better scopes in silver?

What is your opinion for a brushed stainless?  Silver or matte?

I am also considering the new Clearidge line from the Optic zone.  I've only found ONE review...anyone else have one?

Thanks in advance.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline spy231

Re: Silver or black for a stainless rifle?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:25:44 AM »
I bought the Silver Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 for my Encore and I really like it.
$299 and Cabelas. I dont know if that helps, but good luck.

Offline TBS

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Check out the Weaver Grand Slams, they are available in silver finish.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »
I might pick up a used scope with most any kinda finish if the price is right but I only buy Matte finish if buying new no matter what I'm gonna put it on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:21:01 AM »
Not sure what your price range is...but I just got the Mueller APV in silver for a 17hmr and after comparing with my Nikon Buckmaster of the same power range, it is just as bright and sharp as the Nikon and half the cost. It also is clearer and sharper than my Swift Premier 4-12, and that also was twice the cost of the APV. Very nice glass for the $$.
The APVs' finish is pretty "bright" so if you're looking to match the rifle finish it may stand out a bit.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
I don't buy silver finished scopes, I only mount matt finish even if putting on a stainless rifle.  IMO they look good this way and if I trade or sell a stainless rifle I sure as heck won't mount a silver scope on a blued rifle.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »
What Luckyducker and Graybeard said.  I think the matte is handsome on any gun finish and modern scopes don't rust, so no advantage to the finish.  I do like stainless rings and screws so I have less concern in bad weather as I do not like oil anywhere near my scope rings.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
-had the same problem just got a savage 12bvss and wanted a silver scope that was atleast a 6x24. The only thing I could find was a sightron.

I would of thought that there would be more
matt

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22:23 PM »
I like the matte black finish on everything.  I've never found a silver finish on a scope that matches up with a stainless gun very well.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
I'll put a gloss scope on a gloss finished rifle.  Otherwise I like black matte on everything else, stainless included.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »
mattinPA ...

Sightrons are pretty good scopes They have a great over-the-counter warranty too. I have 2 of them and a pair of binos.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
I like matte black rings and scopes on a stainless rifle. I like the look and I like the dull black finish when I bring the rifle up to shoot. No distractions.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline glazer1972

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I like matte black scopes on almost anything.

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
if yer gonna shoot it...matte black is my choice on any fire arm...if its goin' over the mantle, good luck matching silver for stainless steel. Make sure you take the gun with ya when you pick one out. Just my $.02    Ken

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
We are currently working on some new electro plated technology that perfectly replicates true stainless. Below is a sample of one mounted on a Ruger Stainless 77/50 Muzzlelaoder. Were just trying to tone down the gloss a little and it will be perfect. True stanless colors are hard to find and this one, when complete will come in under $200.. No release date until the color is perfected but were estimating sometime this summer.

MO

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
I personally like a matte black scope on a stainless rifle with a composite stock, a gloss black on a blued rifle with wood stock, but I own a remington stainless with a grey laminated stock that has a silver nikon buckmaster on it. I do agree that the finishes don't really match the stainless.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
Rich I don't see any indication this one has a lighted reticle. Will it lack that function? I know that's kinda the nitch you see to be aiming at but personally I like scopes without it since I do all my hunting in daylight and have yet to see a need for it when and where I hunt.

Does this perchance indicate a line from you without the lighted dot in the center? Which by the way is about the best way of doing it I've seen if you're going to light it. Your scope I tested and the one from someone else I don't even recall who now that I tested way back when both had only the dot in middle illuminated and both seem to work very well if a lighted reticle is what one wants. It's just that I don't, not really.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
We are currently working on some new electro plated technology that perfectly replicates true stainless. Below is a sample of one mounted on a Ruger Stainless 77/50 Muzzlelaoder. Were just trying to tone down the gloss a little and it will be perfect. True stanless colors are hard to find and this one, when complete will come in under $200.. No release date until the color is perfected but were estimating sometime this summer.

MO

If it is not lighted and has good reticle with 1/8 minute I just might have to wait to get that
 new mueller.

matt

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »
That sure is a nice looking scope.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 06:01:28 AM »
I have a Mueller 4-12 with the mil-dot reticle, and like it alot.  It is currently mounted on my Encore 223.  I've never USED the mil-dot for shots over 200 yards, but would like to for my new Howa.

I also like the Niko-plex and Ballistic plex reticles.  I've seen the BDC from Nikon, but don't really understand how that can be very accurate.....it's a pretty big "bubble" that covers a lot of area at 300+ yards

Here are some of the scopes I am considering:
Fullfield II 4.5-14x42, Ballistic Plex, Matte
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=1977

Product Name:  Monarch 5.5-16.5x44, Nikoplex, Matte
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2364

Monarch 4-12x40, Nikoplex, Matte
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2351

My step-dad has a BSA Catseye 3-10 mounted on his Mini-14 and I liked it quite a bit...but it is a BSA.  Any input:
http://bsaoptics.com/productlist.asp?ID=1&Cat_Name=catseye.gif&Cat_Code=CE&Cat_Type=RFAM

I'm also interrested in feedback on the Clearidge line.
I would imagine this is the standard "which scope would you pick" post...but I'm open to just about anything under $400. 

I THINK I remember reading a post by Graybeard mentioning something about paralax being an issue if you get too much over 10X.  I've never had a scope over 12, so I really can't say that I know the difference.

As far as Objective size, is 40mm the way to go with these new 92%+ light transmission scopes the way to go?  My Mueller is a 50mm, and I can see well past dusk, but I don't really want the big bell if I can get away with a smaller one.

Thanks again!
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 06:16:49 AM »
What I've said was that if you go over 10X you pretty much have to have a parallax adjustment on the scope. To me it's needed at 10X.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »
There are quite a few European scopes that don't have adjustment for parallax at 10X or higher, but I've heard some horror stories about shooting with them at long range.  Also, they usually don't shoot at the distances we do eithe, so they don't need to deal with the issue.  I do ok with 10X and no adjustment, but I can tell the diifference with and without it.  I prefer to have it at 10x and above too.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 07:02:19 AM »
Rich I don't see any indication this one has a lighted reticle. Will it lack that function? I know that's kinda the nitch you see to be aiming at but personally I like scopes without it since I do all my hunting in daylight and have yet to see a need for it when and where I hunt.

Does this perchance indicate a line from you without the lighted dot in the center? Which by the way is about the best way of doing it I've seen if you're going to light it. Your scope I tested and the one from someone else I don't even recall who now that I tested way back when both had only the dot in middle illuminated and both seem to work very well if a lighted reticle is what one wants. It's just that I don't, not really.

Bill,
This scope (the APV) is already available in our line but in matte black and standard silver. We chose this one as a demo for the new electro plated coating but the coating may not be offered on this particular scope (still undecided). The illumination is and has done very well for us but the chain stores are really giving us an ear full and want to see more entry level priced scopes or scopes just above what most would consdier entry level, which is what we prefer.. We dont want our scopes sitting in clam packages on a hook in places like Wal-Mart next to and competing with $40 scopes. Thats not our cup of tea.. I think we pretty much have our illuminated line in place and may start introducing more non-illuminated reticle scopes in the future.

MO