Author Topic: winchester 94/sears reciever refinishing  (Read 1073 times)

Offline oldsmokeyjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
winchester 94/sears reciever refinishing
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »
 I have an old Sears/Winchester Mod 94 and would like to have the reciever reblued or color case hardened.  I have seen several Model 94 recievers actually turn a purple color after being reblued and believe me, it is not a pretty sight.  Is there a certain type of blueing which will give the desired dark blue finish or should I just bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for a case hardening job? 
  Also is there a sight where I can look up the serial number (a sears #) which will tell me the year of production?
                                                                 Thanks!    Jeff

Offline SHOOTER 72

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
Re: winchester 94/sears reciever refinishing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
jeff ,
as far as the re bluing just make sure whoever you have do it is familiar with the post 64 receivers .i have like you seen several that are now a nice shade of purple . but a experienced re bluer should have no problem . as for you serial number i do not know of a place to look up that info but there must be records somewhere .

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »
Shooter 72 is right on the money.  There were a few years after '64 that materials in the reciever made regular bluing an iffy subject.  I would think case hardening would be a problem for them also.  If I remember the parts were sintered and I would think Case Hardening would not work well either.

If an experienced bluer tells you it can't be done with yours you might consider powder coating.  An experienced coater could make it look like it was dark blued, and it is tough as nails.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:50:14 AM »
jeff:  I believe that for a couple of years during the 60s Winchester used re-cast materials for their actions and the metal would not hold a blue as well as 'first' cast receivers.  Strength-wise there is nothing to worry about but re-bluing or color case hardening may not take as well as you would want it to. 

I know you mentioned a dark blue finish but you could always consider a matt finish.  I've seen some 94s refinished in matt and they look pretty cool, and it's very durable.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
An uncle of mine had his receiver chrome plated and then bead blasted. Looks good and the chrome slicked up the action. Oh yea, he did the barrel bands too.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett