Poll

I bring a handgun while hunting ....

all the time no matter what I hunt
only while hunting big game
only when hunting things that bite back
only sometimes
never, I dont need no stinkin back up!

Author Topic: Who uses a sidearm while hunting?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Troggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Who uses a sidearm while hunting?
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:25:20 PM »
 Im just trying to find out what % of American hunters bring a handgun into the field while hunting.

Offline oso45-70

Re: Who uses a sidearm while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:08:50 PM »

troggy

I'm never without a hand gun if I'm hunting or not, Good insurance.........Joe............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:31:01 AM »
When I've carried a handgun while hunting it was my intent to hunt with the handgun and use the rifle as the backup if the shot was too far.

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:42 AM »
I voted all the time, however there are 2 exceptions and its only due to State law even with a CCW you are not allowed to cary a sidearm while archery hunting, and Muzzleloading unless its a black powder sidearm.  HTH   JIM

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »
I always carry either a 357 or 44 mag loaded 1/2 and 1/2 with shot and slugs.  It's darn near impossible to hit a rattle snake with a deer rifle when you don't realize he has you in his sights....and he's less than 5 yards away  :o

When deer hunting, I carry my 44mag as my primary, and rifle for those times I want to do a little stalking around the wheat fields.  In the past 3 years, I shot 3 deer with my pistol while my rifle was with me.  2 were because the deer came up on my "wrong" side, and the other was because a buck walked up to within 10 yards of me.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:04:15 AM »
The only time I don't carry a side arm is when waterfowling! Most of my shots are in the 50yrd and in range on white tails so .357 is plenty. The Magtech 158gr sjsp have yet to fail me.  Ken    p.s...Took a turkey with it last year too! 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 05:58:27 AM »
Sounds like the folks that lug all that extra weight around are more hand gun hunters than rifle hunters.   ;)
I've never ran into a situation afield where the rifle I had didn't suffice. 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »
I've always wanted to take game with a handgun, but carried a rifle in case of a longer shot.  I have never taken a shot at any big game animal with a handgun.  I'm suprised more western hunters haven't been bringing up handguns for protection against bear attacks.  I may be able to go on an elk hunt in colorado next year and if so I'll be taking my encore 30-06 and probably my ruger super black hawk just to put my mind at ease.  I don't think I have to worry about any animal not feeling a 30-06, but it is a single shot and I'd feel more comfortable with some extra umphf on my hip.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:59 AM »
Carring a handgun for protection for bears is a great idea. I did a lot of that years ago up in Montana. Works too because I never saw a bear while I was carring one. Now I don't have to carry one at all anymore because with the concelled carry law, the bears think I have one so all I need carry is a rifle. Hope the bears don't find out, I'm not sure I could get my rifle out of the holster fast enough to stop the charge of a bear! And, a 180gr bullet from a 30-06 would be pretty borderline for a bear. ;D
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D
I always thought the best advise on carrying a pistol for bear protection was to get one with a concealed hammer and file the front sight off.  Then, of course, coat it well with grease so it won't hurt so bad when the bear takes it away from you and puts it where the sun don't shine. 

I read some times over in the Alaska section of AR and it seems that if a bear charges you from close concealment, there is no way you're gonna get that hogleg unlimbered before he has your face in his mouth.

This information, if such it is, is from heresay and travel brochures.  I have never been in any sort of confrontation with any sort of bear.  I've seen blackies out in the woods whilst deer hunting but they were as interested in avoiding me as I was in avoiding them.  ;)

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »
Just the other day I was attacked by throngs of angry deer.  Since my favorite deer rifle (custom .270 on a mauser action) only had 3 shots it was a good thing I had 2 .45s on my hips.  After killing 3 of the attacking ungulates I threw my rifle down and was able to pin the remaining deer down with supressing fire.  With the 200 lb herbivores in retreat I seized the opportunity to escape back to my truck where my heavy weapons were.  With my turret mounted .50 and AR I was able to repel their advances and inflict heavy losses. 

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »
You Guys are a hoot!

Offline lgm270

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
Several years ago a couple of locals tried to take a deer away from me in Utah.  My friends showed up in the nick of time and the locals decided that discretion was the better part of valor.

After that, my buddy started carrying a 2" S&W Airweight .38 with the shrounded hammer in his jacket pocket.  He was more upset than I was.  The only thing I've done differently is that I always keep my rifle within arm's length or slung where I can get to it. 

A handgun is a good idea, but once you reach a certain age you try to reduce the amount of equipment you carry  with you and frankly a handgun is just excess baggage.  I've only had one ugly experience with two legged animals in decades of hunting so I'm not really worried so much about people.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 11:56:18 PM »
I was riding the lawn mower down my access drive when a 5.5 foot eastern diamondback rattlesnake decided the hot engine of the mower was prey. The Thompson 1911 in 45 ACP and 230 gr. hardball ammo make for a particularly ugly deterrent. 

On another occasion, following the downing of a hog via rifle, I stalked to and shot a second hog with a 7" barrel Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in 45 LC.  One shot through both shoulders from 21 yards and he never took another step. 

My sidearms have been used to "finish off" wounded game, open locks that had no business being where they were, and aid in the personal security of my parents when the Altanta Olympics bomber was known to be hiding on the back side of the mountain by their rural North Carolina home.  That was a piece of work as my Mom is typically against gun ownership, but this was an unexpected "exception" and she was glad I could oblige.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 02:39:29 AM »
     The first I was ever deer hunting in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan my brother in law and I droveall through the night to get there and we only hunted a couple hours that first afternoon.  During those couple hours I fell asleep because I was the one driving the whole way.  I woke up to sounds of a pack of wolves howling and running around.  I didn't see them but in the dense woods of the UP, if you can hear them very well then they are close.  I was hunting with a single shot handi-rifle 30-06, and I also had my desert eagle 44 on my hip.  Same as before I wanted to hunt with the 44, but had my rifle with me for a longer shot.  That night I had enough light to walk out of the woods and that was it.  I was very glad to have a sidearm with me.  I don't know enough to guess how many there were, but I understand angry noises from animals and I was not welcome there.
     When I went bear hunting in Maine I had a bear come in on me one night.  I was in a ground blind and he did a half circle around me making all the bear noises and thrashing around.  Again noises don't tell me how big and bad this animal was but I do know it knew something was there and he was trying to find it (me).  That time I didn't have a pistol with me because I was hunting with a bolt gun.  That went on for what seemed like an hour and it was pretty intense. 
      Right or wrong, those have been my experiences.  I don't think that animals want to attack people, but it's nice to have a sidearm with you when they're thinking about it.  To each their own, but I'll likely have a sidearm on me any time I hunt.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 04:10:02 AM »
Teddy,

Just out of couriousity, what would you do if that bear come's out of the brush? Throw down your rifle and grab your handgun?

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 04:57:08 AM »
I would have used my rifle and quickly chambered another round.  That's the advantage of hunting with a bolt gun.  I normally like to hunt with a single shot rifles when deer hunting and that's usually when I carry a sidearm.  In the case of the bear hunt the bolt gun held 3 rounds + 1 in the chamber.  I was in a small "pop up" ground blind and there were some times where I could not see where where the bear was because it was too far to one side or the other.  That's when I thought having a nice short pistol would be nice instead of a 42" long rifle would be nice.  Having an angry bear circling where your at and not being to see him while you're on the ground is a pretty bad feeling.  Being big and clumbsy and being in a "pop-up" blind don't really match well either.

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »
I always try to have a gun in the woods (its illegal if you are bow hunting for deer in Illinois), but I only carry one gun, be it rifle, pistol or shotgun.  I've never felt the need for a backup gun.  This includes hunting grizzly country in Alaska.  If I can't kill it with a rifle what good is a pistol going to be?  And if you have ever seen a grizzly run you know that if one charges from 10 yards or so you won't stand a chance unless you have a gun IN YOUR HANDS.  Even then you will only get one shot.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:29 AM »
During firearms season, if I am carring a handgun it is what I am hunting with and I won't have a rifle.  During archery and muzzleloading season I carry a Glock 27 but that is not for hunting purposes. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
Dang, you mean I ought to be packin' whilst I'm mowing the yard????   ;)  What happens if I'm mowing the grass while packin' a 357 loaded with snake shot and a grizzly comes busting out of the brush?  1. He's gonna be pretty mad 'cause he's had to travel a long ways to get to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, (motto: we've never seen a public assistance program we didn't like) and 2. I think the snake shot is only gonna aggravate him more.
Should I start packing two pistols while I mow?

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 12:52:13 PM »
Beeman,

It's not the grizzly your worried about while mowing the lawn, it's the snake! Probally much more effective to shoot the snake with bird shot than to run over the danm thing with the lawn mower!

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 03:07:37 AM »
I always carry a handgun in the field.  If I am in the woods my 357 mag is with me.  Whether for snakes or other varmits ( 4 legged or 2).  When rifle hunting, the side arms might be used for that mercy shot. 
However, I carry a handgun with me all the time.  I am a police Officer so I am armed on and off duty.  So carrying a handgun is second nature for me.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 05:57:05 AM »
I think everybody ought to run over one snake with a riding mower.  Then when it doesn't come out the exhaust chute, you learn what a delima really is.   ;)

Kjump, when you're mowing the lawn, do you load with snake shot or hard ball??  Curious minds would like to know.   :D

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »
Sounds like the folks that lug all that extra weight around are more hand gun hunters than rifle hunters.   ;)
I've never ran into a situation afield where the rifle I had didn't suffice. 
    "Better too have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it" 8).......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »
Unless prohibited by law I carry a sidearm regardless of the game I have hunted.  In my case this question is rather mute as I always carry a concealed weapon even when not in the field.

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 05:23:55 AM »
Unless prohibited by law I carry a sidearm regardless of the game I have hunted.  In my case this question is rather mute as I always carry a concealed weapon even when not in the field.

JHT

That brings up a question on the concelled carry law. How come some states that have concelled carry laws don't allow you to carry in the field durning hunting season's?

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
beemanbeme you asked: "Kjump, when you're mowing the lawn, do you load with snake shot or hard ball??  Curious minds would like to know. "
Well, I load with snake shot, I just hit the two legged vermin with the lawn mower.  More humane.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline Pat Miller

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 04:17:54 PM »
I have an EXTREME fear of snakes and do ALOT of bowhunting.  Here in Texas I'm scouting from July thru the first week of Sept. and snakes are very active and everywhere.  Plus if you have a concealed handgun license is the only way you can LEGALLY carry a firearm while bowhunting.  And because of the fear of reptiles I'm ALWAYS carrying---from  scouting to when it gets too cold for snakes!

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 11:27:09 PM »
If I'm handgun hunting, I carry a Ruger Bisley in .45 LC. Whether I'm rifle or handgun hunting, I carry my Glock Model 26 concealed in my pocket or pack where I can access it easily. The first round is one of CCI's 9mm shotshells. The rest are Cor-Bons. If I have a problem with a snake the first shotshell has always solved the problem. The Cor-Bons are for problems with two-legged animals. Hunting is usually a solitary sport, so where it's legal to carry a concealed handgun, I always do. Nobody is going to protect you except yourself.

In thirty years of hunting I have only had one problem. I was walking out of the woods and was almost to my truck when I was confronted by two pit bulls. Both dogs were in front of me barking and growling and snapping their teeth. About fifty yards away were two very drunk gentlemen on a hunting buggy that were laughing and pointing at me. I immediately drew the Glock and in my loudest voice said "You have five seconds." They yelled something that I couldn't understand and the dogs retreated to the buggy. I continued to my truck with the Glock still in my hand. As I passed the buggy, one of them started to get down and was explaining things to me about my mother. I held the Glock in plain view and quietly said, "I'm not looking for trouble here. Are you?" He got back on the buggy and both of them screamed and cussed at me until I was in my truck.

As I exited the hunting area, a wildlife officer was sitting in his truck at the gate. I told him the story and gave him a description and he took of after them. I stopped at the gate to talk with the man at the check station about the hunting in the area. A few minutes later the officer pulled up, pulled the two guys out of the truck in handcuffs and asked me if they were the same men. They were escorted off to jail, and the buggy and the dogs were confiscated.

Thats the kind of scum that give all of us rednecks a bad rep.

Offline Troggy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 07:24:42 AM »
 Daddywpb, Im sorry about your experiance w/ the buggy boys but it's nice to hear that it ended the way it should have.