Author Topic: Lowering point of impact  (Read 578 times)

Offline Ned Christy

• Trade Count: (0)
Lowering point of impact
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:26:50 AM »
I just bought myself another little Remngton .31 from Cabelas and I love it - except for one thing. The point of impact is 8" above point of aim at 25 feet! I'm shooting 12 grains of Goex fffg and a .315 ball with a little Bore Butter in front. What I'm wondering is if changing granulation to ffffg or ffg, or perhaps using Pyrodex or a .318 ball would lower point of impact? I don't want to change the front sight if I can help it - can anyone suggest a solution?

Ned Christy

Offline LubeckTech

Re: Lowering point of impact
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »
I'm new to cap and ball shooting but it seems to me anything you could do to speed up the ball would help. Probably a combination of the right load and a taller front sight/filing the rear sight noch deeper is where you will end up. Another solution, if you will be shooting at close range would be to learn to point instead of aim the revolver. I've read about folks who learn this technique and get quite good at it.

Offline Flint

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:43:35 AM »
A lighter bullet will shoot lower, but a round ball is as light as it gets.  A taller front sight is your only answer, particularly as high as that gun is shooting. 

31 Pocket Pistols were never meant to be shot at any range requiring a sight picture anyway........
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline LubeckTech

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:52:34 AM »
Would it be fair to suggest that on that type of gun the front sight is more of a decoration than a useful tool?

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »
Lets see now, if I recall coorectly. Move rear sight in the direction you want the group to go. If high then you want to lower the rear sight. If you cannot do that then you have to raise the front sight.