Author Topic: Who knows how to use a Mildot?  (Read 437 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Who knows how to use a Mildot?
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »
I live and coyote hunt in wooded, hilly countryside. I would say my longest possible coyote shot might be around 200 yds on the properties I hunt on with an average shot of 100 to 125 yds. You are already probably thinking why is this guy buying mildot scopes and the answer is .... they were on sale?? Seriously, I have two mildot scopes and one (Elite 4200 6-24x40mm) is on my varmit rifle for groundhog hunting and range work. The other ( Sightron 4-16x42mm) is on my .243 Ruger coyote rifle but of course I never use the mildot feature because of the area I hunt. I usually have the power set to 4x or 6x.

I know now I would have been better served by a 2-7x32 or a 3-9x40 scope with a medium duplex or whatever. But since I already have the mildots, can someone steer me in the right direction how I can learn the basics and go from there. I have read where you can use them as a range finder too. Is there a website that covers this information? I moved last April and I still have the boxes that came with the scopes but I cannot locate the instruction sheets.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
Re: Who knows how to use a Mildot?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
Mileridians (MILS) are very easy to understand.  A mil is a meter at 1000 meters, just like a degree in a circle only more accurate.  IF and only IF the dots in your scope are equal to a mil you can deduce how much space is between dots in your scope should be 1 meter between dots if your target is 1000 meters out .  There are 6400 mils in a circle.  You will probably never use this for target shooting and certainly never for hunting. See post on Leapers scopes...anyone got one, should be on Optics Discussion this page.

Offline bigjeepman

Re: Who knows how to use a Mildot?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:45:39 AM »
SDS-GEN ...

Thanks for your help ... I appreciate it ... that made for some good reading and I totally agree that I will not need any mildot in my hunting applications.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less