Author Topic: What is a ...? It excells in what applications?  (Read 379 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What is a ...? It excells in what applications?
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
I own several different types of glass "sight enhancers" i.e., traditional fixed and variable, ACOG and Holosight scopes.  Several years ago at the Shot Show in Vegas I briefly viewed a Docter Red-Dot sight and just recently again came into contact with one.

Would you kindly tell me just how beneficial this type of sight is?  How does it compare to the other sights that I previously mentioned?  Do they serve well on large bore handguns for hunting i.e., .475 Linebaugh?  How about service on rifles and shotguns?  Last, but not least do they have an application for 1911 type guns in a self defense type of application?

Thanks and regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What is a ...? It excells in what applications?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:41:50 PM »
The dot type sight is on one plane and is quicker to use for me than iron sights. Nothing to align, just put the dot on target and shoot. My eyes aren't what they used to be and it's hard for me to use iron sights with my glasses. I have a Trijicon Reflex sight on my S&W .44 mag. and my Ruger .22 pistol. The Doctor type dot sights are small and do add a little bulk. If I carried my SIG .45 regularly I'd probably opt for the laser that replaces the recoil guide rod..
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein