Author Topic: Burris "fire sight"  (Read 490 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Burris "fire sight"
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:22:27 AM »
Has anyone seen one of these? I've only seen the adds but it is a "tubeless" red dot, very similar to the Dr. Optic or the old Tasco Optima 2000. They say it is light enough and sturdy enough to be mounted on the slide of an auto and I'd sure like to try one on my AMT automag II.  I have a Dr. Optic on a .357 revolver and get groups far smaller than I'm able to shoot with open sights. These sights are way ahead of any scope or large tube red dot in terms of weight and bulk, mounted over the rear sight location they will still fit in many common holsters, they add almost nothing but accuracy and one can still use the handgun like a handgun for quick point shooting.
I also have an Optima 2000 on my S&W 22A. It is also accurate but doesn't hold zero nearly so well as the Dr. Optic. The MSR price shown for the Burris is quite a bit less than the Dr. Optic which seems to be no longer available anyhow, so I have great hopes for the new Burris.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
Re: Burris "fire sight"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »
I have been researching red dots heavily for my Smith 41 mag
no feedback on the Burris yet that I can find

I have looked at the Jpoint (online) and it's the same as the Optima, maybe improved a bit

There's a company that imports a Dr Clone for about 80 bucks  here in the US
they claim it's an identical clone, different factory (china)

Ultradot has a new open sight similar to the Dr as well
they have a stellar rep and a lifetime warranty

I like the fact that the Jpoint mounts lower than the Dr but that may not really be an issue
what's your take/experience on that?

I am also considering an Ultra dot 30m tube scope

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 05:19:00 AM »
I mis-posted the name, Burris calls it the "Fast-Sight", but I still haven't found one. To mount on the slide of an auto, as Burris claims theirs can, it would have to be very tough and I doubt any 80 buck Chinese clone would be up to that sort of abuse.
When I lost the hood to my Optima I got a new one from Jpoint, $20 for a bit of plastic. Anyhow, I think these tubeless red dots will replace the tube sights since they do exactly the same thing with a fraction of the weight and bulk. There are still a few bugs to be ironed out but I do hope Burris may have gotten a step closer in their new version.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »
I bet the ultradot version will hold up, it's about 175
ultradotwest.com

the company has a solid rep in the competition shooting competition arena