Author Topic: Country Boy Can Survive  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Country Boy Can Survive
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 09:29:07 PM »
Don't know about the rest of the people, but my cabin is 70 miles from the nearest highway.  It is inside a non motorised area during hunting season, and no one goes out there during the rest of the year.  The only trail that accesses the area goes through some of the most gosh awful swamp you have ever seen.  Big tracked vehicles are the only things that gets in there during the summer after the rains come, these small things like ARGOS just can't make it.  It is total wilderness.  There is Caribou, Sheep, Moose, Black Bear, Grizzly, Grouse, and Ptarmagin, yearround.  During the summer there is Ducks, Geese, Cranes, and Swans.  And like I said before no one knows where the cabin is but me.  When I built is I dug out the side of the hill, so it is not sticking out very obtrusive anyway, in other words it pretty much is hidden from view.   It is hidden off in a little side valley, with a warm spring just up from the cabin that runs year round.   There is a large coal deposit, right across from the cabin.  A large vain of coal that is about 25 to 30ft thick, running about a mile in the side of the hill.  The coal is easy to get, just go over there and pick it up along the base of the hill.  Coal burns better than wood, and I don't have to cut, split, or carry it far.  The stove I have in the cabin burns coal or wood.  The wife and I could last indefinately over there.  With the use of dead falls, traps, and snares, there is not much need to shoot anything.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »
For some more hints:Walmart carries the Dorcy "Metal Gear" white LED flashlights.Takes standard "AAA" batteries.
They are worth it. About $19.00 each.Bought several in 2005.You do get batteries when you buy the flashlight.
No special batteries, just common types, that you can find nearly anywhere.
Why are they worth it ?
OK. I replaced my flashlight in 2005, with this "Metal Gear". My other one, is a MAGLITE,2-D cell. For industrial purposes.
Those filament bulbs can burn out or break.Plus, they are battery eaters.ie: Will drain the power rather quickly.And will fail in the most needed time(s).
With these LED's, might not have the spotlight range of a filament bulb,but still very bright. Being "solid state",some circuitry,
and these LED's will last many times longer,than a filament bulb will, and your batteries will too.
I ran my peach pitter department.I was a pitter mechanic, at a local cannery.Retired in November 2006.
That year I bought it,I torture tested it. Hundreds of off and on.The batteries lasted the 8 to 10 weeks (and longer,about 6 months). Daily, used this flashlight to the end of the season,and beyond. It's been wet from the water we used in food processing.
As the batteries age, the light will get a little dimmer.But still quite bright anyway. So, suggest changing batteries every 6 months,
just to keep the light bright.
All I can say is, a little Vaseline on the threads, you're good to go. I did drill a hole in the butt-cap for a split ring.Don't exactly trust that clip, that has 2 tiny screws on it. The clip can loose it's grip,a lost light. Another, would be keep it in your pocket.
Still have this light, and I use it.
This is why, I say these lights are worth it.
Another suggestion, are those aluminum 1-"AA", twist-on-the-butt-cap flashlights.Bought a few from Walmart,too.
There are replacement LED's for the full size Mag Lite and for the 2 "AA" MiniMag.
For the batteries, buy the mulit-packs. Like the 14 to 24 pack cells.You'll have light when you need it.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »
I had seen those Dorcy flashlights and didn't know if they were any good or not. I did buy a 3 bulb LED kit at Wally-World for my mini mag light though and like it.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline NONYA

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 02:04:15 AM »
We have 100+ head of cattle,several cabins on our pieces of land,graze,summer and winter,horses,dogs,archery equipment,traps,enough ammo to start WWIII and between the family enough weapons to hold off the luftwafa,never gonna happen in  my lifetime but if it did things wouldnt be that hard here.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:11 AM »
I had seen those Dorcy flashlights and didn't know if they were any good or not. I did buy a 3 bulb LED kit at Wally-World for my mini mag light though and like it.

Hi Guy !
Sure put that flashlight through the wringer.
When I first bought it,sure was impressed with how bright it was.Forgot to add,they
are a single LED type.
Shown it to my boss at work.He asked "Where's mine ?" I gave him one.Told him
where to buy them.
Sometimes, they're not to be seen on the racks. Either wait for another trip, or ask.
Told Dorcy I really liked them.
Got one of those replacements for the MiniMag too. With this, you only have off and on.
Too bad no replacement for their Solitaire light. Maybe in the works ?
You guys have a good day !

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 03:50:45 AM »
Thanks for the info!  :)
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
you're most welcome !  ;D

Swampman

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
Everything I need is right here.

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 10:42:36 AM »
Nice lookn' bug-out set up ya got there... Curious to know what ya got in there, though what I can see on the outside is pretty close to all you need to make it for quite a while...  :)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2007, 05:11:24 AM »
Wolfsong, a good deal of what you say is true.  For the short term.  When I talk about anarchy, I'm talking about forever.  A person (family) could sculk around in the woods for a while but sooner or later, there has to be a base camp(s) where crops are grown, hides tanned, meat dried, babies birthed, etc.  What I'm talking about is a situation for the rest of your life.  And perhaps your children.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
 My father has a 10,000 gallon propane tank nearly full on his farm. A 16 kw generator hooked to that. The house hase a fireplace that is vented through the heat ducts and a grove and creek bottom full of fuel. My mother is an excellent gardener and canner. A good friend of mine has laying hens and the neighborhood is full of hog barns and grain bins full of corn.

I think that the rural folks will not feel the pinch of such a situation nearly as much as the folks living in metro areas. I believe the biggest threat to the rural folks will be the starving minions that will exodus the cities when the catastrophy occurs.

Starvation is going to drive alot of people to become animals when there are no Mc Donalds to get their food from. One of the biggest preparations people are going to have to do for this situation will be mental. Kill or be killed will be the rule until society can get back on track.

My grandparents lived through The Great Depression. They told me that at that time they had virtually no money, but they never starved. They had chickens, eggs, a few hogs, a garden and a milk cow. They had heard and seen that many were going hungry but food wise they were fine. The barter system worked very well to get the necessities they could not produce themselves.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2007, 01:20:39 PM »
Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156384155X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-1411597-5107210?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176074320&sr=1-3

A great read and alot of good information as well.  Gives some insight as to how it could happen as well as what could happen afterward.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2007, 01:53:20 AM »
I understand the thoughts but they are dependent on others allowing survival.
It is dependent on others for survival. Is the thought--"no man is an island" understood. Many of these post just take into account that one is going to be left alone too survive. This may not be the case.
What are you too do when things go contrary too your plans?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 03:07:50 AM »
In answer to Mr Layton's question, PRAY. :)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 10:50:49 AM »
It's strange that no one has a plan to reestablish civilized communities. Our best chance for survival is in well defended groups.
It also makes our daily existence easier and safer. The development of small outpost communities surrounding farming lands and a central capitol is essential to long term survival. Living on the run foraging for food is not a long term option. Unless you are into scratching out and existence like a coyote. Like the song says
( There's difference in living and living well )

Pat   
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline MATLOCK

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »
I think most of the folks on here would git by OK, but the majority of SHEEPLE will not. No, they will SCREAM for "the gubb-ment" to bail em out, and gripe all the while it aint enough. Just ask any KATRINA/RITA  "evacuee"

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
see my above post and check out the book I'm talking about.  It deals with a group of people that saw it coming (economic collapse)and got ready.  How others in the community survived and how a whole lot of people did not (some really eerie passages).  It also deals with getting ready for all kinds of external threats, from scavenger gangs to the UN's puppet armies.  Everything from how to survive the first 6 months to reestablishing some normalcy in society.

An excellent read with all kinds of "how to".  It pulls no punches and shows just how savage we are only 3 days away from becoming.

Give it a whirl.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »
I don't know what other people are planning, expecially in the urban areas.  Here where I live, I will take my family into the mountains and we will be an island so to speak.  Oh there is folks living out there, Homesteaders that are almost totally self sufficient.  But they are miles apart, and it's fifteen to twenty miles to the nearest one from my cabin.  The area is so remote that I doubt anyone would ever come there for decades.  So no matter what happens I'll be keeping out of it.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.