Author Topic: do hunting guns have metphysical properties  (Read 700 times)

Offline TIMBERTRAMP

• Trade Count: (0)
do hunting guns have metphysical properties
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
I know this sounds a little far fetched,(lol) but do think that some guns are luckier than others, that a deer gun only has so many kills in it,-i actually tried this one on my wife. have you made shots/kills with a certian gun that normaly you wouldn't have-for example a deer running at full tilt,or a quick draw on a turkey.and felt that it was at least patialy d/t a lucky gun.if so please share,-tt

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: do hunting guns have metphysical properties
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:12:26 AM »
Sorry, I don't believe much in luck.. good or bad.  I believe one generally makes their own 'luck' as it were threw either practice, perseverance or natural talent or some combination of the three.   You would not call Tiger Woods a lucky golfer or 'Shaq' a lucky basketball player.  Both gentlemen developed natural talent threw many hours of training and practice.      
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:22:05 AM »
My deer hunting buddy believes in luck, and it does influence some of his strategic decisions about hunting.  To me it is humorous, harmless, and meaningless.  I do not believe in luck.  But, I do think there is something to be said for confidence - for instance in wingshooting.   So, if you think your favorite shotgun is your "lucky" gun, you might actually shoot better with it because of the mindset - even if there really is no luck.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:30:14 AM »
My deer hunting buddy believes in luck, and it does influence some of his strategic decisions about hunting.  To me it is humorous, harmless, and meaningless.  I do not believe in luck.  But, I do think there is something to be said for confidence - for instance in wingshooting.   So, if you think your favorite shotgun is your "lucky" gun, you might actually shoot better with it because of the mindset - even if there really is no luck.

I definitely agree with that assessment Cement Man.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
In my experiance, there just HAS to be luck, bad luck, or, maybe divine providence associated with guns. How else would you explain hauling a rifle everywhere you go, just in case you see a fox, coyote, raccoon,ect. Of course, you seldom, if ever, see one. BUT, take the wife and kids some place and leave the gun in the cabinet, and you can bet the fur bearing critters will be standing everywhere you look !!!!
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 07:34:15 AM »
Well Cowpox you got a point there.  Once a buck appeared at the most inopportune time while I was answering nature's call - I guess that was bad luck for me, good luck for the buck. ;D
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
See now that just goes to prove the point that 'luck' is based purely on your mental perspective.  I bet that deer was thinking "Wow!, this was my lucky day... Cowpox had the wrong gun in his hand when I happened to stumble upon him in the woods."  :D

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:14:26 AM »
CEMENT MAN..
    I thought only DOVES knew when you stopped hunting to take a wizz..
   They always seem to fly over just when it is too late to "Cut it off" and grab your shotgun!

TIMBERTRAMP..
   I do have one rifle I call my lucky rifle. Probably has more to do with the fact that I carry it more
   often than my others though and not luck. Probably 75% of the Whitetail I have shot have
   Fallen to that rifle.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »
S.Sumner,
In about 50 years of hunting, there have been many a species that caught me with my pants down.  Ducks were always the worst.  I used to think that the only way I'd see a duck was to go lean against a tree stump back'ards with my waders down.  Seemed to happen every time!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
Being very familiar with a rifle has helped me "luck" out a few times,I can think of 2 different mule deer bucks about 10 years apart that were just about to disappear over a ridge at a very long range,i dropped them both with a desperate snap shot,couldnt even remember how high i held after the shot but I killed them both because i was so familiar with the rifle and the ballistics of the caliber.Every kill I make with a rifle adds to the sentimental value of it and I have two that will never leave the family if I have anything to say about it.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm