Author Topic: Anybody from the Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville/Raeford area?  (Read 391 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Anybody from the Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville/Raeford area?
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:18:10 AM »
I'm moving to Ft. Bragg in 2 weeks, and finally convinced my wife we should buy a home rather than rent.

Can anyone here talk me through the best locations to live around there?  I like the rural "look" of Raeford, but would consider anywhere within a 30 minute drive of Bragg.

Thanks in advance!

If you would prefer, you can either email or PM me.....or post on this thread.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Anybody from the Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville/Raeford area?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »
  Hardertr;
      Did you get a change in orders ? Seems like just a couple months ago you were distressed about having to go to Iraq !

In the present situation, with half of our elected reps wanting to win in Iraq and the other half who "choose to lose'..I guess anything can happen when you're in the military..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Nope, no change in orders.  We leave Texas 1 Feb and sign into Bragg on the 5th.  We have 2-3 months of, as my new First Sergeant put it, "ball-to-the-wall training".

Since my wife and I are both in, we both get a housing allowance.  We figure we might as well buy as soon as we get there, then rent it out for the year we will be gone.  If/WHEN we return to Iraq for a second tour, we can rent it out again for another year.

The hard part was taking my guns and safe down to my folks so they can keep an eye on them.  I won't have time for any shooting, and will be gone way before any season opens, so I figured it was best to just take my guns "home" until I get back.  Hopefully, I will be able to catch a hunting season when we get back from Iraq.

I am a bit concerned about what will happen over the next few months.  The Iraqi Prime Minister doesn't want anymore troops.....the dems don't want to send anymore troops...several of the Republicans are now actually going against Bush too.  All this talk about "cutting funding" really pisses me off, and scares me at the same time.  Sure they'll cut funds, but it doesn't really affect anybody except...you guessed it...the troops.

When I head to the desert, I'm going there expecting an all-out war with Iran.  Anything less would be a pleasant surprise.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 03:06:40 AM »
Yes, I can see your concern with the coming deployment, Never can tell what that nutcase in Iran may do. Now, does seem to ba a prudent time to finally get your permanent home. With both of you serving the double housing allowance helps..and you have both certainly earned it !

My Grandson is just about to return to Camp Lejeune from Ft Polk..then deploy in a March-May time frame. This time in the sandbox he will be with a reguilar Marine inf unit instead of the Special Operations he was with in Iraq last year.
   He tells me that the training at Ft Polk is helpful even for combat vets like him, and more helpful even for those who haven't taken Haji on face-to-face

He took some of his guns back from last leave and keeps them in the battalion armory. He can keep a close watch on them though, since he is the armorer.

Not sure if his bride of one and a half years will stay in Jacksonville or come back home, since she is working and attending college there.

Yes I agree, the worst possible scenario would be any kind of cutoff or tapering off of funds for the military ! We went through that cowardly scenario in Vietnam...while our troops were winning every battle, the congress decided to desert them.

I don't see that same thing happening this time, because anyone doing it would be sounding their own political death knell.
..And we know that most politicians respond primarily, to their own turf and futures..regardless of what is honest and right !

In any case, may the Good Lord bless and protect you and yours...and thank you and your wife for your service.

...Ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
My wife and I were both active duty.  We lucked out and bought a nice home in 85.   We opted for a 15 year loan, payments were high but we were able to make them.  Then we got orders and went to DC.  Fair market value for rent was more than the house payments.  We rented the house to the same couple the whole time we were gone.  By the time she retired and we moved back the house was paid for.  It's the greatest feeling when you don't have to worry about housing payments.  It's something young people need to think about.  By the time you retire, and your income goes down, you need to have your house paid for. Most loans are for 30 years, where are you going to be in 30 years.  What will you be doing?  Build equity, that's the best thing you can do.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »
We bought the house we live in here, and will be using it for rental property.  We plan to do the same for a house near Bragg.  I don't EVERY see myself retiring in an "Army town".

It must be nice knowing you don't have to make another house payment.  I have a friend that bought a home in the Baltimore area about 5 years ago.  He sold it 3 years later and walked away with over $100,000 PROFIT!  He moved here and bought a house out-right.  I moved there about the same time he did, but made the bone-head decission to rent an apartment instead.   ::)