Author Topic: Poop chute remover  (Read 2157 times)

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
Poop chute remover
« on: January 21, 2007, 02:43:32 AM »
Just got my 2007 Cabela's reloading catalog when I ran across this item in it.

When removing the "poop chute" I prefer to make two hacksaw cuts on both sides of the pelvis to gain access to the area but I can see where this item would work.

Certainly it would make a nice CHRISTmas gift to a buddy.   ;D

A side tale: My brother was hunting mule deer in the Ruby Mountains in Northern Nevada when an old guy came down out of the hills with his truck and stopped at my brothers camp to chat. My brother noted he had a mule deer in the back of his truck under the camper shell, but also noted the thing was bloated and had not been gutted. When my brother commented on it the old guy responded, "Thats the butchers job."   :o

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Poop chute remover
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:01:36 AM »
Looks cute.  Might be worth $10 just to see if it really works.  I core the chute and pull the anus and (censored word) thru from the inside.  I wait 'til I'm back in camp (or home)  to split the pelvis. 

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »
Yaaaa...I definitely like to spit the pelvis to pull the legs apart to cool down all that meat back there. I did pick up a road kill one year coming home the butcher looked at and said that's a spot to watch for sure, it'll taint the meat without the poop chute removed. When I picked the meat up along with my other deer he told me there was some question about that area but had the two seperated so I knew which was which.

Of course when everyone heard I got two deer that year the beggars came a knockin, guess which meat they got?

Haaaaa my buddy asked for some chops and he said they couldn't eat them they were so horrible. The best part was he had gotten a babysitter and the kids were gone. He had prepared a candle light dinner for the wife hoping for some fringe benefits but the mood was spoiled and they just sat around watching TV trying to get the taste out of ther mouths  ;D  ::)

I finally ate up my one good deer and was eating the questionable one for a couple months when I also got a bad steak; it was like biting into poop.  :P

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:12:23 AM »
They should have called it the "Rectal Roto-Rooter".   :)

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:28:07 AM »
Is it really that hard to cut out with a knife? $10 is a lot for a plastic finger that looks harder to clean. I always start by cutting around the bung, and when I pull the guts out, it goes with them. By the way does it come in a scent-free model?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »
Save your $10.00, sharpen your knife.  Doesniper's way is how I learned.  The knife needs to be very sharp to make quick work.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
Id like to try that thing out on some of those enemy combatants they have in Cuba.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:53 AM »
  You think "they" got the idea from the Mel gibson movie.....Brave Heart?   
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 07:12:57 AM »
Bearfat.  You are a nasty guy to laugh at spoiling you buddy's "dinner date,"   but I like you, you think like I do...Ha!

To split the pelvic bone, I use a flexable ring saw from an Air Force survival kit.  I cut around the rectum, insert the saw from the back side and make the cut.  Sometimes I make two cuts, leaving a two inch or so gap .  It wworks for me.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:42:09 AM »
Save your $10.00, sharpen your knife.  Doesniper's way is how I learned.  The knife needs to be very sharp to make quick work.

+2
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline ruffled feather

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »
I never need anything more than my skinning knife to seperate the pelvis. after gaining access to the abdominal cavity, pull the intestines out of the way and put your finger down on the inside of the pelvis, you will feel a sharp ridge, this is called the pubic symphysis. using your finger to guide you where to put your knife directly on top of this ridge, then put pressure on the back of the blade with the hand not holding the knife it will split perfectly down the middle, but only if you have your knife lined up with the ridge. the pubic symphysis is a cartilage connection of the bones of the pelvis. I have found through no scientific means that the older a deer or other animal gets the less prominent the ridge is. I have split deer, elk & Moose using this method with my favorite skinning knife with a blade about 3" long. I have tried it on a black bear and got absolutely nowhere.
My son & his first moose

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
I have by accident apparently found this sweet spot a couple of times on deer. I'll have to investigate more closely next deer.

ruffled feather how do you split the bear pelvis?  I use the hacksaw. Here's a pic of a 200 pounder last fall skinned using the hack saw on pelvis method.

I had several old timers tell me, "You can quarter a moose with just a pocket knife."

Offline NONYA

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
You can,cut around the pelvis and pull the ball out of the socket as you cut around it,this way you seperate all the meat away from the pelvis and leave it in the field,no use packing out the bones,front shoulders are a piece of cake.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline ruffled feather

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »
Nice bear! is that the same bear in your profile pic? I used a hacksaw as well when I couldn't get it to split otherwise. Mine also weighed 200 skinned,gutted and looking like the one in your picture.
My son & his first moose

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 09:34:32 PM »
Wonder if you could get a "used one" on Ebay? ;D...........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 03:39:03 AM »
I guess I will have to get one, just another thing to carry in my back pack.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 02:09:07 PM »
I use the saw on my leatherman to cut throug the pelvis if I'm out in the deep woods.  If I shoot one behind the house, it's a two minute ATV ride to the garage, where I use my hack-saw.  That thing looks like it would work, though.  If I had back half the money I've spent on gadgets that didn't, I could put my son through college.

Offline bearfat

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
Nice bear! is that the same bear in your profile pic? I used a hacksaw as well when I couldn't get it to split otherwise. Mine also weighed 200 skinned,gutted and looking like the one in your picture.

Yes the same one. I put 4 big chunks of bear meat in the crock pot this morning at 11am with 2 big tators and a big can of mushroom soup. It was ready at sundown. He is one tasty bear. I don't think many could tell the diff between bear and beef.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
I use a Rock Hound's Hammer (blunt on one end and pointed on the other - small ball peen would work too) to tap on the opposite side of the knife blade and gently through the pelvis bone.  The hammer is light weight, packs easily, and make the job a breeze.  Used in this way, the knife splits true all the way through.  I have split backbone from stem to stern in this way too.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
Landowner-----have you lost all your marbles?  I keep my rock hammer for busting agate...........

Are you a rockhound?  I have been chasing rocks since Imy first gelology class at U of Eastern New Mexico back in the early 60s.  Great hobby, and keeps me outdoors year round.

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
Landowner-----have you lost all your marbles?  I keep my rock hammer for busting agate...........

Are you a rockhound?  I have been chasing rocks since Imy first gelology class at U of Eastern New Mexico back in the early 60s.  Great hobby, and keeps me outdoors year round.

Rockhound??Geology.. I love the stuff.. I am one Could not have picked a better career.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »
Glad to have hit on a "gold" vein, and yes I have multiple times attempted to place 10 pounds of marbles in a 5 pound sock, but no, I'm not actively rock hounding.  I like to when the right conditions are met.  Unfortunately the schist in the vadose zone of east central Florida is sedimentary and not well suited to igneous lizards (a lot of folks won't "get" that lizard pun), but it was a gneiss try.  Kind of a long way off topic too.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 05:43:37 AM »
Looks cute.  Might be worth $10 just to see if it really works.  I core the chute and pull the anus and (censored word) thru from the inside.  I wait 'til I'm back in camp (or home)  to split the pelvis. 

me too.....sometimes its a long drag back and it's nice too keep the hind quarters clean. Takes me only a few seconds to do it this way and it also brings the bladder(full if they've been bedded down)  safely along with it.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Terry1

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 10:05:55 AM »
Is it really that hard to cut out with a knife? $10 is a lot for a plastic finger that looks harder to clean. I always start by cutting around the bung, and when I pull the guts out, it goes with them. By the way does it come in a scent-free model?

Thats how I do it. Buck 105 Pathfinder does a good job cutting around the anus.