Author Topic: Ultra Slug Hunter Dealers & Pricing  (Read 1263 times)

Offline bob82

• Trade Count: (0)
Ultra Slug Hunter Dealers & Pricing
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:07:01 AM »
I've been following the topics on this forum and find everyone's comments enlightening.  This is my first time asking for your input.  I live in Indiana which is a shotgun only state for deer hunting.  Of course, though I have plenty of firearms (too many for the available safe space), I don't have anything that will work for deer.  I do have a Remington 1100, but the cost to rebarrel it with a cantilever rifled barrel is as much as a new gun!  I've thought about muzzleloaders, but I don't want to start an entirely new line of firearms and related support equipment/materials (I have enough stuff already).  After much thought, I've come to the conclusion that a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in either 20 or 12 gauge fits the bill for the types of shots (40-100 yds) normally taken where I will be hunting.  I've read many good things about its low cost (a big plus for me - keeps the wfe happy), accuracy and ease of handling.  The problem is I've had a heck of a time finding them locally.  Who normally stocks them and what kind of pricing are you seeing in the marketplace.  By the way, the USH I'm interested in has the regular hardwood stock, not the laminate.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Offline bakabob

Re: Ultra Slug Hunter Dealers & Pricing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:48:15 AM »
I had a heck of a time trying to find one in this area also.  I wanted a 20g and got the same story every place I tried.  Back ordered.  They are becoming a very popular gun and for good reason.  I lucked out and found a used one at a local gun shop that is in excellent condition.  Even had a scope mounted on it.  I only paid $125 for it but that is a rare find.  A new one will cost about $225 to $260 at most gun shops when they can get one.  Walmart sells them cheaper if you can get one from them.  I havn't had mine long but I am really satisfied with it.  Great shooting gun. 

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
I havent seen many new ones, but I know a local shop that has a nice used 12ga ultra slug hunter deluxe with the camo lams on it. 

It has a scope on it, lower power, not sure of the make. 

I have no idea of the price he is looking for it, but if interested, pm me and I will give you the name and number of the shop.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »
Are you 100% sure you want an Ultra and not a tracker 2? they are also very accurate. If you have a short walk to a stand that you are going to sit in and never move The ultra in 12 or 20 would be fine but if you are carrying it all day you'll with it was a tracker. I have a toper deluxe slug(basically a tracker 2 that's ported) and wouldn't hesitate taking a 100 yard shot if conditions warranted it. I recently bought a stand and plan on getting USH myself over the summer. You can always find one on gunbroker or gunsamerica and have it shipped to a local dealer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline longjohn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »
markus  does your walmart in camden still sell guns?

Offline bob82

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 03:31:52 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  Markus, I've thought about a Tracker 2, but I what to mount a scope and I understand that the Tracker 2 is not set up to take a scope with additional gunsmithing $$$.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 06:00:07 AM »
I have seen the 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter with the plain wood stock for $208 in several Gander Mountain stores.

I saw a slightly used one this past weekend at a Cabela's store with a tasco red dot scope and the green/gray/red laminate stock for $159. 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  Markus, I've thought about a Tracker 2, but I what to mount a scope and I understand that the Tracker 2 is not set up to take a scope with additional gunsmithing $$$.

Bob, there is a slight difference in dollars in purchasing the Tracker II and having it drilled and tapped. You have to purchase a scope rail and have it smithed. I have had 6, 20 ga. Tracker II's D&T over the years and the most it cost was $20 and $18 for the rail and hammer spur. There are always trade offs in anything you do. If you are interested in the 12ga. USH and want to fit other barrels to the receiver, you can only get those that fit the larger 10ga. frame that the 12 ga. USH comes with. The 20 ga. USH uses a different frame and that will work for the additional NEF barrels both shotgun and muzzleloader if you ever expand your horizons. 

We choose the 20 ga. Tracker II after having a 12 ga. USH that was unhandi to lug around and unhandi (for us) to shoot from an elevated stand without a sturdy rest. Our 12 ga. USH was sold after only two seasons of use as nobody wanted to hunt with it. For our needs the Tracker II in 20 ga. is best all around. Besides like the 20 ga. USH our Trackers can have additional barrels added.

Our Trackers have never cost over $140 new and we even got a deal on one NIB for $100. The ones we sent to the factory that were SB2 receivers we purchased for around 50-60 dollars plus shipping. These started out as Handi Rifles and are now "combos" It is a family affair with the little woman and myself and our son, daughter and son-in-law.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »
Yeah the 12 g is pretty heavy & not real handi. With the new sabots, the 20g is hard to beat. Plenty for whitetail out to 125 yards or so.  Go with lightfield sabots. I can cloverleaf at 50 yrds. 2-3 inch at 100 yrds.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline snicker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:16:21 AM »
I bought a 20 ga ush youth model for the grandson last year.  When I gave it to him he said he'd rather have one of my muzzleloaders.  So I put it in the closet and it's been there ever since, never shot. 

Offline bob82

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Thanks again for the posts, I've learned alot from these and other related posts.  It looks like a 20 gauge in either the USH or Tracker II would be the best bet for my situation -  good portability, great accuracy and range, managable recoil and finally price.  By the way I saw a NEF Tracker II 20 Gauge d/t scope mount and Bushnell 1.75 x 4 Scope listed for $150.00.  With $20 shipping and $20 FFL transfer final price out at $190.00.  Worth it or look elsewhere?  Snicker...you mentioned that USH in your closet.  Are you looking to sell??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline snicker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
Bob82,

Hadn't thought about selling it.  Thought maybe the grandson would change his mind but if someone wanted it I could part with it I suppose.

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »
Not sure what part of Indiana you are in, but a gun dealer in Benton,IL has a couple 0f 12 ga USH in stock with a price of $229 listed.  Not sure what he would take if you waved $20 bills in front of him.  Benton is in southern Illinois about 75 miles west of Evansville, IN.