Author Topic: re-cycled cast lead  (Read 826 times)

Offline tomzuki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
re-cycled cast lead
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:22:28 PM »
Hey guys!  I was wondering if you can re-use spent cast bullets??  I have a source for spent lead cast and semi-jacketed handgun bullets.  I've tried casting balls for the "Smoke Pole" and they seem to be fine although a little light, (by about 3% or so).  I have'nt used any yet, but plan to very soon.  So, I guess my question is should I spend the money to get additional molds for my hand-guns and cowboy calibers??  Is there anything detrimental towards the barrels of my Ol' favorites in using such lead other than the usual concerns like leading.  Will dirt or impurities in this lead acceleratye wear??  Your two cents will be appreciated!!!
Tomzuki

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: re-cycled cast lead
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »
range lead is good for hand gun bullets and rifle bullets. You may need to sweeten it up with a bit of tin but cast a few bullets and see how hard/soft they are. Also how well the molds fill out with that alloy. I used to use a lot of range scrap for plinking bullets in revolvers and the 30-30 contender. Smelt this as you would WW's ,in a separate pot ,not the one you pour bullets from.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:37:49 PM »
the dirt will seperate when you melt it. Its a good alloy for handgun target loads.
blue lives matter

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Be CAREFUL of moisture deposits!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
 You may not see them,so it may be a good idea to start with a cold pot filled with scrap lead and to NOT add more of the scrap lead that you are talking about.....
 Safety glasses!!
John 3:16

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »
Think BIG. Every batch will be slightly different. Once you get a batch casting nice and working well you do not want to run out and start with another batch. I fiqure a gallon is about 100#. I usually like to end up with at least 200#. A 10 qt cast iron dutch oven will work pretty good.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:15:21 AM »
Separate the jacketed bullets from the cast bullets. The lead in the jacketed bullets is softer and would work better in muzzleloaders.