Author Topic: Adding rifle sights  (Read 1443 times)

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Adding rifle sights
« on: January 21, 2007, 02:39:18 PM »
I am wanting to put rifle sights on my 12 gauge barrel that is currently at the gunsmith getting threaded for choke tubes.  My use of this gun will be turkey and predator hunting as well as woods roam, camp, truck gun.  Anyway I am thinking that I have 3 options since the 12 gauge is to thin to D&T.  Option 1 sweat on a front and rear sight, this is not a real desirable option for me in that I am not comfortable with being able to control the heat enough.  Option 2 is to TIG a plate on the barrel and D&T it a lot of trouble and will probably look odd but heat is not so much of an issue.  Option 3 is to use some kind of adhesive to attach the sights to the barrel, I have seen JB weld mentioned does anyone have any long term experience with this method and are there other adhesives that work better?  Are there other options that I have not thought about.  Thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Adding rifle sights
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »
Ask your gunsmith to Mic the thickness of the chamber area and see if he is willing to D&T it for a scope rail. If so go up one size in screws and epoxy AND screw the scope rail on. Mine has been done and works fine, it is critical work if your gunsmith is willing to do it. The newer barrels are thicker in the chamber area than the older ones and some can be done. Good Luck. If it does not work or your gunsmith is unwilling to do it some here are having luck with JB Weld. It is great stuff, I have fixed cracked water valves and even a timing chain cover on an old Triumph motorcycle that I had years ago, none of the repairs ever failed, but to let you know, proper preparation is the key to good repairs, just follow the directions on the package exactly....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
Silver solder for the front and D/T for the rear sight worked well for me on this 12 gauge.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:16:35 AM »
The barrel on mine is thinner that my gunsmith is willing to try, MT3030 I had admired your gun in the past and that had just slipped my mind, unless someone comes up with something better I am leaning towards JB weld or maybe a set up similar to MT3030.  I would be so much simpler if NEF would just offer this set up from the factory, it is fairly obvious from the posts here that there is an interest in such a shotgun.  Oh well, I'll have mine soon which probably means they will start offering it as a factory item.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:31:48 AM »
I have used an adhesive that polychoke sells/uses to attach vent ribs to shotguns. So far it has worked well. Need to put a shorter front sight on the front ramp, not enough elevation with the old NEF rear sight I mounted closer to the breach. Have not pushed the front sight out yet so I haven't found out if the ramp will come off

http://www.poly-choke.com/

Give him a call or email & he can let you know
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »
I recently put a rear sight on my 12 gauge shorty. I had my gunsmith put a large brass bead on the shortened barrel and I put the rear sight from a Remington 512 (I think) just ahead of the chamber. I used JB Weld Kwik Stick and it worked great. I have been shooting everything from 71/2 shot to slugs through it and the sight is holding tight with no signs of coming loose. I have shot probably 50 rounds through it so far and all is well.

Spanky

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »
Hey spanky, how about a pic.  I would like to see that set up.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
I added a front & rear tru-glow type sight to my turkey barrel.  I basically sketched the outline on the barrel, and then roughened up the surface of the barrel with a dremel tool.  Then I used a 2-part epoxy adhesive (don't remember the brand name, but the type you can buy in any hardware store), and epoxied it on.  I allowed it to cure overnight, and then post-cured it in an oven at 100C (212F) for 1 hour, which optimizes the adhesives properties.  It's been 2 years with no problems at all.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:55:44 AM »
I added a front & rear tru-glow type sight to my turkey barrel.  I basically sketched the outline on the barrel, and then roughened up the surface of the barrel with a dremel tool.  Then I used a 2-part epoxy adhesive (don't remember the brand name, but the type you can buy in any hardware store), and epoxied it on.  I allowed it to cure overnight, and then post-cured it in an oven at 100C (212F) for 1 hour, which optimizes the adhesives properties.  It's been 2 years with no problems at all.

I have been wanting to do something like this to my turkey barrel, I just wasn't sure how.  I have been following this thread with interest.  Where did you place the rear sight, on the chamber or just ahead of the chamber where the barrel tapers down slightly?  I would want to make sure that I had the correct height front sight, because once epoxied in place, there would be no replacing it with out destroying it.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »
Hi d_hiker,
I will take a photo of it and post it tomorrow (if I can figure out how to post a photo).
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
Thanks, I would appreciate that.  It will be too late for turkeys next week, it it will be on in time for deer this fall. 
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,116014.0.html

This is what mine looks like (may have to scroll down if it did not take you right to pics). If you use a shorty williams ramp you can change your front sights as needed to get your correct height

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 02:25:49 AM »
Here is a photo of my setup (I hope at least as this is my first attempt at posting a photo).

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 03:39:16 AM »
Here is a photo of my setup (I hope at least as this is my first attempt at posting a photo).

It looks very good.  That is what I wanted to see.  I'll keep my eyes open for some sights and get them put on my barrel.

Thank you

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »
Good looking rig xplorer

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
...The barrel on mine is thinner that my gunsmith is willing to try....
LEO:
The rear receiver sight is drilled and tapped to the receiver, not the barrel. Puts the pep closer to the eye where it belongs, and the sight doesn't have to take a beating every time the action is slammed shut.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007