Author Topic: Pistol scope question  (Read 496 times)

Offline olywa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Pistol scope question
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »
I use a scoped 14" 44 Contender at ranges up to about 100 yards. I have other scoped Contender pistol barrels as well. Most of my pistol scopes are 2X and all of them have a standard duplex crosshair. These include Nikon, Bushnell, TC and Simmons scopes. I'm thinking that a heavy duplex would be a much more useful reticle on a pistol scope that is used for short to mid-range shooting and I'm wondering why it isn't offerred on more pistol scopes.

I'm thinking of picking up a 4X Burris for a 30-30 barrel and sending it in to the factory to replace the standard duplex with their heavy duplex. However, if there is a good pistol scope that is already available with that reticle I would like to look into it (pun intended). I've got a couple of lever action Marlins with low magnification scopes that have the heavy duplex reticle, and I find it much more useful than a standard duplex reticle.

Is anyone using a pistol scope with a heavy reticle? If so, what make and magnification?
Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
   -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pistol scope question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:25 AM »
I was thinking I had one on the shelf in the valt, but it was a rifle scope. I`m not really sure how much the heavy duplex help in a handgun scope though. Your field of view is so small with handgun scopes that it seems like it would almost block out you target. I can see where it might help in low light, but we are not talking about many minutes in the morning and afew in the evening when the heavy duplex would really help and the rest of the time regular duplex would be better. At least that the way I see it, right or wrong.

Offline buckslugger

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
i have a heavy duplex shotgun scope on my mini30 and it covers alot of your target at longer ranges ,i would not like it much past 100 yds

roy
live life large

Offline olywa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »
I agree with you guys on shots over 100 yards. Most of my hunting is in fairly heavy cover though, and shots over 75 yards are pretty rare. I just seem to be able to aquire the sight picture more quickly with a heavy duplex reticle.
Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
   -Theodore Roosevelt