Author Topic: Anybody plate their cast bullets?  (Read 661 times)

Offline masek77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anybody plate their cast bullets?
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »
I was wondering how cost effective it would be to make some bullets and then plate them so they dont foul my barrel so much. How much would plating add to the diameter of the bullet?

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Anybody plate their cast bullets?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:22:18 PM »
It  adds some to the dia,the longer you leave them in solution the bigger they get. You need to acid wash the slugs to etch them and remove ALL the oil/lubricant before starting. You need to heat the solution for best results.Copper sulphate is VERY poisonous  and must be treated as such. You will need a power source like an old train controller. Does it work ? yes! Is it worth the time and trouble ?  NO! It is actually cheaper to BUY them if you value YOUR time at mijnimum wage! Do a search for plated cast bullets to see the difference. Then there is the fact that I DO NOT WANT plated bullets! that's why I cast! OH ,almost forgot, distilled water works best.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:16:40 PM »
If your shooting your lead that has a bhn of 15 and your getting leading at handgun velocitys theres problems with your gun that need resolving. It could be something as simple as the size your sizing to or the lube your using. Ive shot lead at that hardness level in rifles at 2000 fps without leading.
I was wondering how cost effective it would be to make some bullets and then plate them so they dont foul my barrel so much. How much would plating add to the diameter of the bullet?
blue lives matter

Offline masek77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
I was thinking about using it in a caliber that usually runs about 1800 to 1900 fps. I havent started yet so Ill take your word about the lead fouliing.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:54 AM »
  I tried it on 30, 44 & 45 cal bullets. If you check out the costs of the equipment needed and see what getting RID of the chemicals in YOUR area will be,you might think twice about it. IF you are doing this as a commercial enterprise ( selling the plated bullets) it could be profitable. I understand that you are selling pre alloyed lead now, it's a short step to casting and plating the bullets.