Author Topic: Todays STUPID court ruling...  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Todays STUPID court ruling...
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »
This is so ludicrous it is beyond belief.  I would hope the DA and Sheriff just ignore the whole thing. "Sorry judge, I'm not arresting nor prosecuting anyone today."  This moron needs to be pulled off the bench and disbarred.

Deputies May Be Charged In Cow Death

SPOKANE, Wash. - Two Spokane County deputies could be charged with animal cruelty in connection with the taser death of a cow.

Last April, a 6-month-old calf broke loose from Greenacres farm and was cornered in a grassy area close to Interstate 90 and the Spokane Valley Mall.

The cow was allegedly jolted with 50,000 volts of electricity for more than 7 minutes by the two deputies who were trying to prevent the calf from running into traffic.

Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich says the deputies used tasers because they didn't want to shoot the Black Angus calf.

Spokane County District Court Judge Sara Derr said Monday there is sufficient evidence to charge deputies Damon Simmons and Ballard Bates with second-degree animal cruelty, a misdemeanor.

Animal rights attorney Adam Karp of Bellingham, Wash., said the case may be unique in that it involves defendants who are in law enforcement, a victim that is an animal, and a county prosecutor who did not want to file charges.

Karp said he will draft a criminal complaint and submit it to the court for filing within the next week.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Todays STUPID court ruling...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »
STUPID!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
Isn't the system already overtaxed without this garbage?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »
Maybe i'm not reading this right but doesn't it say, "...county prosecutor who did not want to file charges."  How is this the fault of anyone other than the animal rights crazies that forced the charges here?  Maybe someone knows more than I do about this case?

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:06 PM »
When did Animal Rights organizations get standing to persue criminal charges?
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 04:31:36 PM »
I guess anyone can sign a complaint, but I thought that it would have to be brought to the DA to determine if the case had merit.  Maybe the DA did not want to prosecute, but the animal nutballs and their attorney filed for a hearing and the judge agreed there was a prosecutable case?  If this turns out to be another ridiculous animal nutball stunt, I wish that they would be required to compensate the public for the cost of the police officers' time and the expense of the trial.  Hunters next?
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:48:11 PM »
I don't know what is behind it or how Washington State's laws work. I can tell you here in Oregon, this wouldn't fly and we are right behind Kalifornia in terms of politics.  I hope this idiot judge is an elected official and this submarines any future chances for her to remain in office.....or if thats not the case, I hope she hits a cow, deer, or an elk in Eastern Washington and totals her car and gets a mouth full of hide. Stupid broad.

RR

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:02:03 AM »

As the owner of the calf, I would imagine that your foremost frustration would be with yourself for not having kept your livestock confined safely.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:35:14 AM »
... but need more information.

Yeah, I think that's correct.  Not sure about washington laws but in most places fenced cattle are the owners responsibility when they get onto the roads.  If that cow had caused a wreck the owner would have been responsible for the damage.  Free range cattle are the responsibility of the driver.  There's more to this story than we've heard yet, but don't let that stop anyone from rushing to condemnations.

Offline TrenchMud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:11:22 AM »
Welcome to the American legal system ...

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
The story as told is lacking additional information, I agree there is probably more to learn.  The detail that is stated emphatically; however, is that the charge is about animal cruelty.  Not "government agents"........destroying private property.  Note Mr. Karp is an "animal rights" lawyer.

I'm sitting out here in the country right now and looking at a lot of beef in fields and pastures.  If it they get out on the roads and cause an accident the responsibility is very clear.  My next door neighbor is a "government agent" and some of his stories about chasing cattle during the night are humorous. Both of us have a lot more stories about vehicular accidents that aren't humorous.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:36:01 AM »
And what happens when the bovine wanders into the express lane of IH 90?  It seems to me the officers did the right thing by preventing the cow from getting on the highway.  An animal can cause a lot of damage to a veeheicle, and may lead to the death of the driver and passengers. 

I travel the roads of Texas quite a bit, I often run across cattle on the roadways, and have seen the results of several accidents.  I don't think the domestic livestock is as big a danger as the wildlife, but it is still a threat to mankind.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:04 AM »
Rockbilly,
Couldn't agree with you more.  Worked a FD on a busy interstate for 14 years.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
Our law makers need to do something about the situation, and the judges need to get their act togeather and send these dumb____s packing.

Just read in the paper that the State of Alaska was just told to pay the legal cost of Friends Of Animals, where FOA brought suite to stop Wolf Hunting in Alaska.  FOA stated the money will be used to continue their fight to stop all wolf hunting in the State.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
Here's a little more detail...........still ridiculous.  Maybe they should charge Ms. Anderlik with neglect for letting her cow run around loose.

Spokane County deputies may be charged in cow death

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Two Spokane County deputies could be charged with animal cruelty in the death of a calf that was allegedly jolted with 50,000 volts of electricity from a stun gun for more than 4 minutes, a judge has ruled.

Spokane County District Court Judge Sara Derr said there is sufficient evidence to charge sheriff's deputies Damon Simmons and Ballard Bates with second-degree animal cruelty.

The maximum penalty for conviction on the misdemeanor is 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

"This is a first for citizens of Spokane County," said animal rights attorney Adam Karp, of Bellingham.

Actually, Karp said the case may be unique in the state in that it involves defendants who are in law enforcement, a victim that is an animal, and a county prosecutor who did not want to file charges.

Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich on Monday defended his deputies, saying they did not want to shoot an animal that was posing a threat to traffic on Interstate 90.

Karp said he will draft a criminal complaint and submit it to the court for filing within the next week, after review by the county prosecutor's office.

Karp may ask for the appointment of a special prosecutor because county Prosecutor Steve Tucker refused to file charges and his deputy, Brian O'Brien, argued Monday against the filing of the citizen's petition.

Karp represented Chris Anderlik, of Liberty Lake, who sought to have the court file animal cruelty charges after the prosecutor's office refused to act on her complaint.

"I have nothing vicious against the sheriff's deputies or the police," Anderlik said. "We just think they weren't sufficiently trained about what Tasers can do."

"I don't think they had any thought of being malicious," she said. "But this animal was tortured mercilessly."

The two deputies used their Taser stun guns to shoot the 6-month-old calf that had escaped from a farm on April 12. It was cornered in a grassy area along the Centennial Trail, a paved bike path that runs between Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

Computer printouts showed Bates' gun was discharged 42 consecutive times at five-second intervals for a total of 210 seconds, Karp said.

Simmons' weapon was discharged for 253 continuous seconds, the animal rights attorney said.

Although the animal had run through areas of traffic, it was grazing and not posing an immediate threat when the deputies used their Tasers, he said.

Knezovich on Monday contended the deputies were completely justified. The calf was cornered close to Interstate 90 and the Spokane Valley Mall, in an area with heavy traffic congestion.

"They were concerned the cow was going to get loose and cause a severe traffic accident," Knezovich said.

"The guys were really doing what they thought was best for the animal and the public," he added. "They really didn't want to shoot the animal."

The deputies used their Tasers in the belief that electronically stunning the animal would give them a chance to hobble its legs until its owner arrived, Knezovich said.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
This is the epitome of STUPID. Like 2 cops are going to sit around lighting up a cow just for fun. I AM Taser qualified, and can tell you that the cow will come right back to life after the tasing stops. People should keep their stupid animals off the road way, do away with open range, and leave the cops alone. A total waste of taxpayer money prosecuting this.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 09:11:15 PM »
For this to be legitimate it has to be argued that th deputies to be trained for any oddball situation they encounter. Their obvious intent was to subdue the calf without killing it.
My guess is the animal rights folks don't have any more experience with livestock that the police did.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »
Ever try to talk too a cow and reason with it???
The immediate problem was not where the cow was, it was where it could be and the damage and danger it could expose the driving public too.
I can't believe I am having this conversation.
Cows, in Texas, pose more danger too people on a highway than they are worth---maybe cows in Washington are not as stupid as cows in Texas.
Cows are stupid and not worth the money too go too this length.
I am in favor of tasering the judge and putting her up so that she will not be in danger of causing injury to anyone.
I still can't believe I am having this conversation over a cow.
I wonder could you BBQ a cow with a taser ??  Now that would make a good roadside BBQ stand.
I can see it now. Tasered cow--tender and juicy. Cooked from the inside to keep the tenderness. The ribs could be pretty good. I am wondering how long to taser a cow til it is done rare ??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 01:06:56 AM »
Ah, and what exactly is a cattle prod, is it not essentially taser on a stick?   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 07:03:47 AM »
TM7,
I usually agree with you on most things, but not this one.  My mother hit a horse when she was in High School and it almost killed her and disfigured her best fiend.  If I lost my rifle, or shovel, etc.... I would not expect it to run into traffic and hurt or kill someone else.  However, if my car was stolen and the driver was a danger to the public, I would expect the police to do everything possible to prevent injury, up to and including destroying my property.   Although the calf was not in traffic at the moment, it might choose to run from the police (no Black Angus jokes, please ;) and become a danger.  They were trying to be humane.  Dumb? Maybe.  Cruel? No. Negligent? No.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 08:52:33 AM »
It's a cow, get over it.  Should have get a bullet behind the ear.  If it had gotten out on the interstate it could have gotten someone killed.  Every year I see five or six vehicles that hit Moose.  Usually last springs calf.  They are about the size of a reguler milk cow.  And quite often someone gets killed.  If I had been there I would have done what ever it took to dispatch the animal to prevent it going near the highway.  If people can't keep their livestock up, they need to be held responsiable for damages, and not complain when the animal gets killed. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 06:47:28 PM »
Your wrong there TM it was a threat to traffic, That calf could have wandered onto the highway at any second, They were useing the tazer to keep it in that corner, I wouldn't have done that but then I've handled cows before I'd bet those cops haven't, And who knew that would kill a cow? And guess what if it killed that cow it would probably kill a human faster, that cows alot tougher than a human. This is a case of greater good. They thought they were doing someting good, where they right? Probably not. Do they need to be prosicuted? ABSOLUTLY NOT!
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »
TM just wants to argue.
OK ;D ::)
You were not there!!
Near is subjective!!
A cow thru a windshield is rarely subjective!!
I refer back to my post---have you ever tried to reason with a cow??
Cows--well according to cows in Texas, do not have too attend school so they do not read or reason very well.
Near is near enough to have need of control over this ANIMAL.
Being near a bike or hiking path--much less a mall, is near enough to do damage to humans.
It is a stupid cow.
Now let us reason together  ;D.
If it is a $300,000 cow--I want a piece of that meat--rare, if you please.
Cows are not pets- One may have a fondness for their animals---I have met some ol boys in East Texas who did seem to have a fondness for cows  ::). Stump broke ??  Cows are without the ability to listen to reasoning and have need of being corraled or contained. Heck fire boy--I have poked a lot of cows with cattle prods when working at the auction and, as for hurting them, I have burned the Hello out of more than a few when helping with branding---God I am glad that woman was not in Texas---for her sake--talk about a tatoo, a running J on her butt. Now this is not to lessen the effect/affect on a cows psyche when we casterated those idiots or treanted them for worms or dipped em.
Son of a gun---I can't believe I am having this discussion over a cow.
TM, you arguement is without a hint of reasoning.
Blessings  :)
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »
i like the idea about taser broiled steaks.   maybe a million dollar idea. 

perhaps,  if tm7's family (i never would wish it on ANYBODY)  was injured he would see the light of what we are saying.  but,  he has his heels dug in and isnt likely to be reasonable.   

if my personal property was posing a potential threat to anyone, i would want it destroyed instantly. 

has the owner of the animal said anything about this,  or is it thrid party do gooders that are driving it?  maybe the owner agrees with the cops?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 04:57:34 AM »
well, i kind of apologize tm7,  i think you are being somewhat reasonable.  although i see your point as far as being concerned with the mentality of the police;  all in all i have to give the officers the benefit of the doubt in most cases.   there are times when they need to be checked,  but i dont think this is one of them.  maybe pulled in and talked with about it,  but nothing further at all.  not even a note in the file.
 myself,  i would havejust shot the thing if it couldnt be contained in a reasonable manner.  i dont understand why they would use a taser in this situation; when if indeed it was a threat to others,  a bullet would have been more appropriate. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 12:31:23 PM »
A cow off its land and on public land becomes the liability of the owner of said cow and the disposition of said cow becomes the responsibility of the local law enforcement agency who has jurisdiction.
All cost to corral this hefer should be at the expense of the cows owner.
HUMMMM- I am still wondering how a tasered cow would taste.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »
A cow off its land and on public land becomes the liability of the owner of said cow and the disposition of said cow becomes the responsibility of the local law enforcement agency who has jurisdiction.
All cost to corral this hefer should be at the expense of the cows owner.
HUMMMM- I am still wondering how a tasered cow would taste.
Blessings

Despite other claims, this is the law.

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 07:38:55 AM »
If I was that judge, I would sentence those two cops to eating a tasty veal dinner.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 11:00:28 AM »
That wouldn't be so bad---could they taser it too their taste??? :D
I just have got to taste tasered beef---maybe turtle---frog legs---the mind ponders the endless choices.  :o
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD